Seagull DH-98 Mosquito engine choice

Richard Wills 2

Here is the thread on RCGroups. Ian I hope you don't mind but I quoted you on the thread. You have the most experience with this model

Mine is all ready to go, made a battery box today for the flight pack and another smaller one for the Rx Lipo.

C of G with my lighter 5S5000 pack (25C) is 130mm and with the heavier 5S5000 pack (45-90C) 128mm, weight is 7kg and 7.1kg respectively using my suitcase scales. Will dig out the calibrated ones tomorrow.

I watched Mark Travers's Black Horse Mossie and it behaved impeccably, even when abused!

Cheers

Danny

Danny, No worries quoting me. I hope there is something I am not doing right that is causing my flight peculiarities.

My mate flew his mosquito yesterday which is about 72" wingspan and his own design and it flew beautifully on a 4s battery. I am very envious of the the guy on RC Groups who had a flight with no concerns. I think I will start at the beginning with balancing mine etc in case I am missing something obvious. Cheers

Pleased to say mine was lovely to fly this evening. moving the c of g forward to 130mm has made the model much more predicatable. Several clicks of up, and a fistfull of right aileron. Though none evident on the ground, perhaps the flaps need centring a little better. I only tried half flap, but there was no pitch change.

Focused on flying so not much on the piccy front, but Chris did grab a couple of quick shots between warning me of all the flaming dog walkers...... Why do they have to walk right down the middle of a mown strip, they have the whole field to use!!

33207298_1864190660259313_5516022856120532992_n.jpg

33124371_1864190703592642_241210487239344128_n.jpg

Thanks again to Chris for spotting for me and calming the nerves.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks guys, but I think it's Ian's persistance that has kept me from abandoning the project.

Ian I didn't really explore the envelope, a quick 5 minute flight was all that took place. The grass on the strip was long, dog walkers were in abundance and wondering evrywhere so my head was full of thoughts of getting down in one piece. I did slow the model down a bit and it didn't bite thankfully. Rolls and loops next time out.

It flew nicely on around half to two thirds throttle, average current around 40 - 45A (for both motors) so around 400 Watts per side. Jon thats around half a horse per motor to cruise.

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 22/05/2018 10:15:13:

It flew nicely on around half to two thirds throttle, average current around 40 - 45A (for both motors) so around 400 Watts per side. Jon thats around half a horse per motor to cruise.

Cheers

Danny

Thats in line with a pair of Laser 70's turing 13x6 apc props at around 7800 rpm. Flat out there should be another 1000+ rpm in that combo so i would say about a 2/3 throttle setting will be similar with that setup.

Clearly we are ignoring all of the various efficiencies and have totally different props to hand but the numbers line up in theory. Im sure Chris will fill me in once his model is up and running. I also have 2 other customers waiting on matched pairs for the same model so clearly its proving a winner for seagull. As mentioned before, im seriously tempted myself.

Not flown the Dual Ace much, but the 12x8 (noise reducing and restricted throttle opening) seem to go okay if not a little pitchy at low speed, but no issue.

Looks like good news with the C of G at 130mm and should be spot on with the Lasers up front bearing in mind the Dual Ace came out "light! with no added lead compared with Seagull's stated recommended 2S 46's and lead to get C of G.

I am meant to be getting a few hours in before swapping the Lasers across to the mossie and of course the Dual Ace will look so sad missing a couple of 70's.....What should I do? wink

• 1 month later...

I have had 2 successful flights today with mine today. I have rebalanced to 130mm also having silently followed the thread. I needed 34 oz lead up against F1 to get there however, and total weight is now 17' 1".

Glad I went with the Saito 82's over the OS 52's, it needs them.

Compared to the maiden it flew quite nicely, not vicious at all, it gave plenty of warning on the stall test before a spin which needed provoking this time. Elevator is still quite sensitive and there is quite a noticeable pitch change on full flap but all in all i'm happy. Landing was uneventful. It flies, and it looks and sounds amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

p1010347.jpgI am starting to assemble one for a mate of mine. we will be using to ASP 52 2 strokes and I am looking forward to the build as it is far easier to do than the Brian Taylor one I built from the Traplet kit. I just hope that this one will fly as well as that one did. My BT one was electric and was very light and was electric._dsc3386.jpg

This is far easier than the BT Mosquito, But not the same. Most of the assembly is done and now need to do the final set up. The cowl fit is not as nice as I would have liked but I also remember how my BT nacelles changed shape one I had cut the gear doors out. assembled for the first time this morning and looks very nice, I was surprised to see how well all the camo bits lined up. I hope to start the motors on Sunday. The quality of the covering was not nearly as nice as the Lysander but I hope this will be easier to land than the Lysander!mossie 1.jpg mossie 3.jpgmossie 2.jpg