Guns in Society

stu knowles

Advert

I have been in a similar position as Tony Martin some years ago when I was confronted by three low life's exiting an out building. I was on my own and was threatened with phisical violence the leader saying he was going smash my face in. It was a scary situation being on ones own in a remot spot. At this point I got back into my Land Rover and a stand off of a few minutes started. I was not going to back away.

Had they come for me I had every intention of using the Land Rover as a weapon to defend myself.

They eventualy drove off but were not very bright as I was able to follow them [ at a distance ] some five miles back to one of them's house. Now in mobile signal I was able call the police who came and delt with them firmly.

The final outcome could quit easily been different and was gratefull for prompt strong support from local police which is more than Tony Martin got.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 27/11/2017 09:42:32

I suspect this thread has become unstable with the speed that posts were being made over the last day.

I was the OP. It was early Sunday morning when I clicked on a news link to an article about a woman coming home from work, walking into the woods behind her house, and being killed by her neighbour who "mistook her for a deer" after dark, when it was illegal to be hunting. I wanted to share this as I was, and still am, deeply saddened by this story, and commented that posting this on an American forum would cause a riot. I also commented that a close friend is an armourer, an old friend has a shot gun for clay pigeons, and I remember that my American sister in law owns a pistol intended for self defence.

If there is no gun, no one gets shot is probably stating the obvious, and it would appear deeply inflammatory, so I apologise for that.

Posted by John Emms 1 on 27/11/2017 12:32:43:

I suspect this thread has become unstable with the speed that posts were being made over the last day.

I was the OP. It was early Sunday morning when I clicked on a news link to an article about a woman coming home from work, walking into the woods behind her house, and being killed by her neighbour who "mistook her for a deer" after dark, when it was illegal to be hunting. I wanted to share this as I was, and still am, deeply saddened by this story, and commented that posting this on an American forum would cause a riot. I also commented that a close friend is an armourer, an old friend has a shot gun for clay pigeons, and I remember that my American sister in law owns a pistol intended for self defence.

If there is no gun, no one gets shot is probably stating the obvious, and it would appear deeply inflammatory, so I apologise for that.

Don't apologise John, you are simply stating a fact and it's not inflammatory to any normal person.

"So the evidence is that - startling though it may seem to some - public health education does encourage people to make better, ultimately safer, decisions."

It will take years to show an effect, but I believe you are right David, the only way is to educate the younger generation against owning and using guns. And then eventually the old guard attitudes will get replaced.

It is, however, not encouraging that there are some in the US advocating open carry for teachers.

More mad scientist me, we developed a crossbow from a leaf of the back spring of a 3/4 ton Bedford, on wheels, towable behind a bike.. But never wanted to stick it up anyone's nostril.

Serious note, you see on the television, of groups of strange hairy creatures in Trumpland, marching on, brandishing assault weapons, and they are on an ego trip. And you do wonder where their mothers love drained away.

I blame a culture of glamorising gun violence, thanks to Hollywood selling product to what is a very mentally adolescent country.

The solution: Guns are reasonably expensive (ok, maybe not in WalMart!), but ammunition is dirt cheap. As most firearms enthusiasts like the engineering of weapons and the machismo of owning them, make ammo really freaking expensive and hard to get hold of.

Let It Go From the Movie Frozen
LYRICS
The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen.
A kingdom of isolation,
and it looks like I'm the Queen
The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in;
Heaven knows I've tried
Don't let them in,
don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel,
don't let them know
Well now they know
Let it go, let it go

Edited By Denis Watkins on 29/11/2017 18:54:02

Posted by Denis Watkins on 29/11/2017 18:39:08:
Let It Go
LYRICS
The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen.
A kingdom of isolation,
and it looks like I'm the Queen
The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in;
Heaven knows I've tried
Don't let them in,
don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel,
don't let them know
Well now they know
Let it go, let it go

Wordsworth ? face 1

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 29/11/2017 17:57:51:

I blame a culture of glamorising gun violence, thanks to Hollywood selling product to what is a very mentally adolescent country.

The solution: Guns are reasonably expensive (ok, maybe not in WalMart!), but ammunition is dirt cheap. As most firearms enthusiasts like the engineering of weapons and the machismo of owning them, make ammo really freaking expensive and hard to get hold of.

Ah but. Actually ammunition is relatively easy to make. See here: **LINK**

You might wonder where the explosive comes from, easy enough, join a gun club and buy a few boxes of shotgun cartridges.

I think also Hollywood portrays a very different picture to guns to the reality. How often do you see the spray of bullets killing an innocent bystander in a film for instance? Its also amazing how the good guy never gets shot, but can hit a moving target several hundred yards away with just a pistol. You'd be considered a good shot to hit a stationary target at 25m with a 9mm pistol.