Vintage Digifleet.

Richard Moody

Kim

I've got a bit more info for your XP conversion.

The white wire that goes between the rf board (the one near the front of the case) and encoder board (the one with the throw adjust pots) is indeed the PPM signal wire. You would need to connect the PPM input to your 2.4 module to one end of this wire.

The red and black wires between the two boards carry 5V to the encoder board from a regulator on the rf board. According to the spec on the FrSky module, it needs 6 - 13V, so you would need to power it from the switched side of the battery feed (8.4V), which goes to the rf board from the on/off switch via another red wire.

When you watch the video it will become a bit clearer. The difference with the set shown in the video is that it is a "Super 7" variant, which had the built in mixer on the encoder board and a tickover adjustment knob on the top of the case.

Posted by John Robertson 3 on 29/11/2017 00:19:31:

Kim. Thanks. PDFs sent by email. Nothing in "Inbox" as yet. Message sent via "pm" to see if my account - or me - needs retraining.

Retired. No job. Plenty work. Prefer model flying stuff.

Thanks for the email, all received.

The pm not arriving was my fault - sent it to the wrong person - doh!!blush

And sorry Trevor for the rogue pm which I sent you in error, and thanks for the extra info - I'm definitely going to get one of these modules and have a go.

Kim

Kim - Perfik! Your message has magically arrived in my Inbox in the last couple of minutes. The "Inbox" tab was flashing at me, so now I know all is well. I was considering contacting the administrators about the apparent problem, so - well timed.

I have SO enjoyed handling my old DigiFleet Tx that I sent it off to RC Geeks this morning for a conversion to 2.4 and new batteries - I don't want to chance losing a board due to my lack of skill and practice, as the Tx appears to be in absolutely pristine condition. I'll report back in due course.

Back to the shed - I took the nose off my converted chuck-glider this morning by dropping it into the base of a bunch of rushes. I got too close to a fence on landing and had to drop it earlier than anticipated. Nothing major - a clean break, so 5 minutes work at the most and an overnight cure. This forced me back to the camper and my Bixler 2. I had put 4-step flaps on it a month or so ago after having had difficulty with 2-step flaps (either too much or too little extra lift/drag). I'd been putting it off while I struggled to get the chuck-glider trimmed properly, then once I had done so I found it so fun to fly that I couldn't bring myself back to the Bixler. Success - greaser landings almost every time, in spite of varying wind strengths and directions. I can see the old Fleet Tx being used in that one to get infinite flap settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everybody, some very interesting reading, I didn't expect to elicit such a large interest. Thanks particularly for info re new batteries.

When I was last involved with RC the rule was 35 Mhz for aircraft and 27 Mhz for water and land vehicles. What rules apply these days, as I get the impression most new gear is 2.4 Ghz?

Rick.

Richard, it's still 35Mhz is airborne only, and as far as I'm aware 27Mhz is and always has been for any model though in the heyday of CB radios it was a bit dodgy for aircraft in some locations and I haven't seen it in use at a flying field since the 80s(?). 459Mhz has also been available for as long as I can remember but was always limited to a few expensive high end sets.

40Mhz is strictly for land/water based use and the 'new' 2.4Ghz band is essentially a free for all used by anyone and everyone, not just modellers.

I think it's all covered somewhere in the BMFA handbook.

I now have my 34mHz DigiFleet Tx back from RCModelGeeks with a 2.4gHz board and new batteries. It felt lovely to have the old girl back in my hands again, fully functional. I can't give any further details as it is wrapped up, with a couple of Rxs from T9 for my Christmas present FROM my wife. She doesn't know what it is, just that it's what " . . . I want, what I really really want . . .". Got to cover one's backside, eh?

• 4 weeks later...

Guys

Sorry to be late for the party......

All this talk of Fleet gear is refreshing. I started flying with it in the mid 70's and always had the greatest respect for it. I always reckoned it looked and felt more classy than the 'Ghetto Blaster' look of the far eastern sets. I always found the brushed ally on the Fleet was easier to keep clean. I was lucky to work for a company then that used 5" x 4" vinyl Union Jack decals with MADE IN ENGLAND on them for their equipment. Needless to say these found their way onto my Tx back panels and were in full view as often as possible..!

I have, with help from members of this forum, ebay and the BMFA classifieds amassed a small collection of Fleet gear. Included are the following Tx's...

Classic 5, XP/FM, PCM 7, PCM HF7, PCM MX7 and OMEGA 7 Pro

I have instructions for them all and would be willing to copy/scan any that are needed.

I have also put a datasheet together on where the tools, plugs, sockets and pins can be purchased if you want to make up your own extension leads, servo leads etc - again copies available if needed.

With a collection like the above batteries were a problem. Some Tx's arrived in VGC, others C**P!! Corroded cells and wiring were removed and the wiring replaced. I replaced the internal battery termination with a Futaba socket and ordered Component Shop 2600MAh Ni-Mh square battery packs fitted with a Futaba plug. Now my Tx's reside with no batteries until needed.

The UK is the home of radio, it was invented here and it was a sad day when the R/C scene was hijacked by the far eastern manufacturers. By the way what have the Japanese/Chinese actually invented? Answers on a small postcard please.

I shall keep flying Fleet as long as I can.....

Further to my earlier posts, I have (finally) got around to at least testing my XP/FM set.

I bought a couple of Turnigy 4.8v 2300ma/h 'square' AA receiver packs (from that well known internet supplier) and fitted them in to the transmitter. This entailed a bit of soldering, especially as not unexpectedly there was severe black wire (as well as red wire and purple wire) corrosion . Also the board was discoloured and with a bit of verdigris on it, which I cleaned off as carefully as I could. face 3

Anyway, I replaced all of the power wiring, up to the board on the -ve side and to the switch on the +ve, just to be sure. Put it all back together (the batteries fitted in to the original holders) and hey presto, when I switch on, the light comes on and the meter shows full scale deflection.yes

Dug out the receiver and a couple of servos, connected a 4.8v receiver flat pack I had bought (temporarily connected by connecting the plug 'about face' and one pin offset to get the + and - leads in line), switched on and woohoo, it works.smiley

Checked the aileron & rudder hi/lo rate switches and the CAR switch - all good so I'm well happy with that.

Oh and range checked the length of my garden (about 30m) with the aerial down and all OK, so all seems well.

So the temptation is to use it on 35megs 'as is' but I think discretion may be the better part of valour in this case, as speaking to some of the longer standing club members, there did appear to be a history of unexplained glitches and failures at the club field a few years ago, which seemed to stop with the switch over to 2.4. When funds allow, I'll buy a FrSky hack module from T9, along with a receiver to suit. I'm really only going to use this radio with the Gangster 63 I'm currently building, so I won't need multiple receivers, etc. and I've got four Fleet FPS-20 servos, four older ones (FPS-3 I think) so I should be OK for these. I have got a couple of new mini servos for the ailerons, as the old'ns are HUGE in comparison and would be too big for the wing.

I'll report back when the module is fitted.

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 05/01/2018 15:34:20

Posted by Robert Cracknell on 04/01/2018 01:46:41:

Guys

Sorry to be late for the party......

All this talk of Fleet gear is refreshing. I started flying with it in the mid 70's and always had the greatest respect for it. I always reckoned it looked and felt more classy than the 'Ghetto Blaster' look of the far eastern sets. I always found the brushed ally on the Fleet was easier to keep clean. I was lucky to work for a company then that used 5" x 4" vinyl Union Jack decals with MADE IN ENGLAND on them for their equipment. Needless to say these found their way onto my Tx back panels and were in full view as often as possible..!

I have, with help from members of this forum, ebay and the BMFA classifieds amassed a small collection of Fleet gear. Included are the following Tx's...

Classic 5, XP/FM, PCM 7, PCM HF7, PCM MX7 and OMEGA 7 Pro

I have instructions for them all and would be willing to copy/scan any that are needed.

I have also put a datasheet together on where the tools, plugs, sockets and pins can be purchased if you want to make up your own extension leads, servo leads etc - again copies available if needed.

With a collection like the above batteries were a problem. Some Tx's arrived in VGC, others C**P!! Corroded cells and wiring were removed and the wiring replaced. I replaced the internal battery termination with a Futaba socket and ordered Component Shop 2600MAh Ni-Mh square battery packs fitted with a Futaba plug. Now my Tx's reside with no batteries until needed.

The UK is the home of radio, it was invented here and it was a sad day when the R/C scene was hijacked by the far eastern manufacturers. By the way what have the Japanese/Chinese actually invented? Answers on a small postcard please.

I shall keep flying Fleet as long as I can.....

Gunpowder.

The UK is the home of radio, it was invented here and it was a sad day when the R/C scene was hijacked by the far eastern manufacturers.

Radio wasn't "invented" in the UK, it was first demonstrated in the US then later, demonstrated again in Germany. Later still, Marconi sent the first radio communication in Italy.

By the way what have the Japanese/Chinese actually invented? Answers on a small postcard please.

Chinese inventions ? this Wiki article won't fit on any size of postcard but this selection of Chinese inventions will fit on an A4 PDF.

And of course more recently as far as model RC equipment's concerned their breakthrough inventions have included - quality, reliability & affordability. wink 2

Edited By PatMc on 05/01/2018 23:51:51

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but not sure where else to ask.

Someone I know has just bought a working Fleet PCM-MX7 but there is no instruction booklet with it. Does anyone have a copy they could scan or sell (or suggest anywhere else we could ask) so he can get it flying again?

Dick

PatMc

"Radio wasn't "invented" in the UK, it was first demonstrated in the US then later, demonstrated again in Germany. Later still, Marconi sent the first radio communication in Italy."

I think you will find Heinrich Hertz (Hertz, that seems familiar) was the first to prove radio. Hertz was German. Proving the the theory of a Scottish gent James Clark Maxwell.