1/6 Westland Whirlwind

It seems I haven't posted the latest pictures from my tiny EPA Whirlwind (EPA = European EPP aircombat class). A bit care has to be taken with hand launch due to elevator above the prop stream, but flies fine and looks much better since I applied colours earlier this year.

I haven't done that before, so as a test I use throttle control as rudder for flying smooth curves. Works fine and I think I'm reducing power on one side for up to 15-20%. So it's not too sensitive.

Timo

07228EF4-8E3E-4E9D-8C1A-A8A75E1E4444.jpeg

IMG_6188.JPG

IMG_9566.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Very beautiful Timo,

I see you're in Switzerland, I am in Zurich.  I've decided to build a ~1.5m Whirlwind for my next project, but it's a different league, I build in foam and measure my builds in months to your years.  A bit like your combat models but XPS and a bit of foil and carbon.

I looked on "airfoiltools" at Selig 8052, but it looked like 23017 seemed already very good for retaining low reynolds' performance, just needs a different outboard airfoil for the very short tips.  Anyway what do I know about airfoils with my hotwire 🙂 Do you plan single or twin batteries?  Sorry if I missed it in all your posts.

Good luck with the maiden and thanks for the read

Ed.

Hello Ed, S8052 is an 1/12 aircombat proven airfoil. Several others are fine too for your 1.50 Whirlwind. Just take care to have washout and not too much thickness on the wing tip to prevent stalling.

I live in South-West Germany, a bit North to Heilbronn if you know the area. But several times I've been to the plan & selfbuilt model meeting in Huttwil, Switzerland.

Still some way to go until a maiden. Having the plane on it's own wheels and testing the motors is the next goal. Until then there are plenty of wires and connectors to install 🙂

Aileron linkage was tested on the CAD before the real installation. A bit tight but worked fine. Max servo travel to prevent flutter.

Timo

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the wiring is done and the two motors (and ESCs) tested for the first time. Wheels retract by the transmitter switch. Plenty of taskes left to do, but some important steps have been done 🙂

I like the angle and looks the Whirlwind stands on the ground. For easier installation of retracts (original 130°, mine are doing 100°) and better takeoff characteristics I reduced ole length a little bit.

Regards, Timo

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_3981.JPG

• Like 2

Another important test was center of gravity, again. Accumulator position is visible in the picture above. I’m very close, receiver/retracts accumulators in the nose will help, other things bring it back a bit. In the end I may get COG right or just with a bit of lead. Despite the light built in the back there is just a small margin and that was clear already in the beginning. The Whirlwind looks nice with it’s clean shape but is an demanding design. Keep fingers crossed 🙂

Timo

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update! All RC funktions are working. Last job was rudder linkage. With the main wheels far from the COG there is some force on the tail wheel, maybe I have to add a spring to the linkage.

Today I made the first test run on the street in front of our house. Motors are running very smooth at all power settings, although without spinners. Full power is amazing. Sound is really good with the Scorpion motors and Aeronaut props and thrust is plenty.

Another important check was for COG position. With all equipment necessary for first flight and the 6S5000s in forward position I am on spot, which is a great relief. COG is shifting backwards 5-8 mm when wheels are up, so I have to care for that.

Weight with spinners is exactly 7 kg, which is fine for 235 cm wing span. But the wing area of the Whirlwind is not much more than for the Spitfire. Missing details and colours should add another 500 grams so with 7.5 kg I am at 110 g/dm², which is fine for that model size.

Timo

IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

Edited by Timo Starkloff
  • Like 7

That looks great, a first class job Timo ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Be careful with the paint , there is a lot of it behind the C of G, I had to add lead to mine after painting mine and that was just one coat. I have had 4 flights with mine now I had more batteries but it was a cold wind and I am not as tough as I used to be. I want to try some bigger props on but now I have them the weather forecast is for lots of rain.

Good start into 2023, the first two flights yesterday have been successful 🙂

The Whirlwind flies fine with a great speed range, from very slow to high speed. A bit of downward elevator has to be kept for a good takeoff run, mainly due to the high elevator position. Flying was great, very smooth and stable. Landings were easy and short. Flaps are efficient, especially full flap brings down the speed quickly but without pitchup, just a slight upwards tendency which I will correct with some downward elevator.

Best wishes and a happy New Year,

Timo

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone im from Australia, and am just doing my first scratch build of a whirlwind , been about a year on it so far, and just fouynd this forum and Timo's build. OMG i have never seen such an beautiful quality build of this plane . it makes mine look totally inferior. 

I got the plans from outazone and there the same plan for a 65 inch plane.

BUT is there any chance of getting the plan of TIMO and his build , as i would like to have a go at his design ? If its cost $$ that ok as his deserves some for his efforts and design changes , 

Please if anyone see's this and knows of some planes or were to get some i would be very grateful.

My Westland Whirlwind.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Gregh, we've already written via mail. Plans are in progress but will take some months to complete, since I'm working on them only parttime. And it's lots of work, as always. but since there are not so many Whirlwind plans available, I would be happy to add another version.

In January I made a mistake on landing at the fourth flight and broke the wing. Until three years ago I was member of a club with a airfield of good length but steep and with a vineyard on one side. So I tried to keep the weight of the Whorlwind as low as possible. During the build I was satisfied with the weight and stregnth of all parts except I thought to have the wing spars to small. Before the first flights I thought about adding additional spars, but when discussed with friends we were sure it's strong enough for flying. Which worked out fine in the first flights. Just when the landing gear struck dirt of the field because I came in too short, it wasn't enough. Luckily it was just the wing that broke, nothong else. Speed was low at that point.

I started a quick repair and rebuild with additional spars (changed the plans already, too). Last weekend I made the first five flights again. One check flight if everythings ok and for pleasure and took the next set of batteries for four starts and landings for getting used to the model. It flies great, just takes a different approach as with the edf planes I've flown the last two years.

More infos soon, but actually I'm happy flying again with the Whirlwind 🙂

Timo

IMG_5467.thumb.JPG.8bd156a15ff1a491865795e2491b8aca.JPG

IMG_5466.thumb.JPG.528d809baf1df439b8085f0a883eb8dd.JPG

IMG_5464.thumb.JPG.6975ffa83a5ba68dc8c57487c21dfd97.JPG

IMG_5460.thumb.JPG.ab5c46be4bc492bcd5be3f0ee5cb454a.JPG

• Like 3