What do I need for flying IC glow

Chris Walby

Advert

IT is Baahco and I bought it about 50 years ago.

And the reason was that we (the maintenance fitters) often had to go and sort out a weeping hydraulic connection and it was easier to take one spanner that would cope rather than a heavy tool box for a mere tightening of a union

Oh and I can't give a plug to the company as it was one of several that folded up.

Funnily enough, years ago (40?) my BMW R69S stopped and I was pretty sure it was a trivial case of dirty magneto contacts. I opened the tool box - and it was empty! As was common in those days a fellow motorcyclist stopped and offered me a spanner to access the mag but then said he was late for work so had to go. He left me the spanner (a Bahco adjustable) saying he could get another at work for free. I soon got my bike running again and the spanner is now in my tool box as a useful reminder of the milk of human kindness. I was helped and gave help many times in my motorcycling career.

I was always dubious about adjustable spanners but, used carefully and in the right direction so it tightens as you apply force, they're OK.

Geoff

Posted by Peter Miller on 15/12/2017 10:47:37:

IT is Baahco and I bought it about 50 years ago.

And the reason was that we (the maintenance fitters) often had to go and sort out a weeping hydraulic connection and it was easier to take one spanner that would cope rather than a heavy tool box for a mere tightening of a union

Oh and I can't give a plug to the company as it was one of several that folded up.

As far as I'm aware, Bahco are still thriving and although I've used one with good results on a few occasions I've never owned one. I do know that Bahco adjustable spanners are well regarded in many quarters - here's a stockist found at random on the 'net...

1513375723585-1397860832.jpg

1513375774753753393903.jpg

15133760480581411860524.jpg

Forgot to mention this. Usually when flying I would only carry my plane tx and just a few tools to start then fly. This is always in my pocket also when testing my engines. I have quite a few different ones as they came from the rc cars I have but they are great. As you can see it has a spring in it to hold the glow plug tight it makes life a lot easier and it also has space for holding spare plugs and it has a few sizes on it that are popular crank shaft nut sizes. I wanted to make a screw driver for low speed needles to fit in the 8mm sprung socket so I can have everything in one tool. I usually test my engines then try to learn how much to choke them to hand start them by bouncing them off compression backwards learning throttle position for starting and so on so I don't need a starter or 12v battery I hate all the leads and stuff around a model when starting. I just like to start it quick then get behind the prop glow heater into pocket rev up quick tweak and go.

The Align STO100 is designed to work with a 3 cell lipo Expensive but does come with 2200 Mah c3 cell lipo COmes in aircraft or heli versions

Sussex Model Centre list a Hobby Taiwan cordless starter that uses two 7.2 nicads. THis is a lot cheaper. It does not come with the batteries or charger

Kavan make a slim geared starter which one of our members uses with a £S Lipo but you may have to search EBay