Telly tonight - slope soaring at Ivinghoe.

A 'heads up' for tonight, it'll be on catch-up too afterwards I assume:

The episode of 'Walks with my Dog' is to be screened on More4 at 21.00 on Thursday 25 January. This features Victoria Pendleton walking her dogs over Ivinghoe Beacon and meeting up with ISA members Jim Wright, Sean Bannister and David Woods.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/walks-with-my-dog/episode-guide

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 25/01/2018 17:19:06

When my wife and I visited the Manchester velodrome the highlights for her would Bradley Wiggins' bum and for me the sight of Victoria Pendleton elegantly sprinting (usually) to a blistering victory. I'll look for that on-line. Two interests in one!

Thanks for the heads up

Geoff

Good spot, my old spiritual home.

Sean Bannister was a hero and inspired a few of us to thermal and in particular cross country flying.

David Woods and his bother Graham were, in my eyes, at the forefront of those early days of moulded models and did amazing things with those groundbreaking Elipses.

Jim Wright, a stalwart of the ISA together with many other hugely dedicated members of that great association.

Will look forward to it.

Have set the video up! Jim used to be the Chairman of the South Midland BMFA Area when I was the rep. Excellent chap! And I met Sean a few times many years ago, as he used to use Mick Wilshere's World Engines radio gear, back in the day when I was helping Mick out. Haven't seen either of them in a good few years now, so I'll be watching with interest!

laugh

--

Pete

Sean knows Victoria Pendleton through his cycling. I believe he may have coached her at some point.

Sean Bannister also picked up an award for his Derny Rider services for Victoria Pendleton. Page through the pictures on the BC web site to see Sean receiving his award.http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/eve/ImageGallery.asp?gid=3228

http://www.willesdencyclingclub.co.uk/the-cycling-oscars/

I haven't seen Sean for years. I used to bump into when competing in Slope XC events in the 80s.

I was there, Ivinghoe Beacon, what seems like a 100 years ago, well I was flying an own design glider with single channel regen radio, driving a pulsed Mighty Midget 'servo' for rudder only.

First time there at a fairly big meeting, someone suggested adding some ballast for penetration, which I did.

She flew about 6ft of the ground, following the hill contour all the way to the bottom and across the bottom field.

I then had to switch off so someone else could fly, scramble all the way down to switch of the model, and carry it all the way back to the top.

Haven't been back there since. (It was probably 1962).

Memories, why do we always remember the ones where something goes wrong/embarrissing . wink

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 25/01/2018 20:33:35

Sean and Dave Woods are members of our club (PMFC) both enjoy flying electric models on the flat.

Sean built my 6th Birthday present...one of his glider designs, dad crashed it (into me) knocking me unconscious on Ivinghoe shortly after...must tell my mother some time, we kept that a secret from her She knew when dad broke my arm at Croxley Moor...he did a lot of injuring, me, himself and I'm sure others )

Just remembered we had the Tandem Club Hill Climb championship up Ivinghoe a good few years ago. Quite tough when you're trying hard

Loved the story from Dave Wilshire. His dad was quite a character as I recall. Good job my dad was bit more careful with me - his sport was small bore rifle shooting

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 25/01/2018 21:42:29

I didn't have huge expectations but was rather underwhelmed, the comment re the last big climb made me smile , she should try it in the winter carrying three models and kit.

Earlier shots of the "bowl" slope leading to Pitstone Hill brought back great memories of some epic cross country flights .

Nice to see Dave hasn't changed his moustache but shame we didn't see the other two.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 25/01/2018 21:59:24:

...all 20-seconds of it... oh well...

Often the way with TV. I am sure if it had been a better day here might have been more footage, but having talked to Jim about it by the time Victoria and the TV crew arrived the wind had subsided and there was next to no lift available. Such is life!

Edited By MattyB on 26/01/2018 16:01:03

• 2 months later...