RCM&E March 2018 issue

John  Tee

I was interested to read Mike Kitchen's letter about expo, which referenced this thread, and questioned the implementation of a cubic function rather than a true exponential. I had thought about this at the time, and I came up with two explanations.

Firstly, a common way to compute a true exponential function is to use a Taylor Series expansion, which is an infinite series of polynomials added together, and converges on the exponential function as more and more terms are added. Because we want anti-symmetry through the centre (so moving the stick in the opposite direction moves the servo in the opposite direction), then we are restricted to using only the odd terms. If we truncate the series (to save computational time) between the cubic and quintic terms, then the stated cubic function is the natural result.

Alternatively, one could argue that since the only purpose of the function is to soften the stick sensitivity near the centre, and increase the sensitivity at the end of the throw, there is no actual mathematical requirement for it to be exponential at all: almost any non-linear continuous function with an increasing gradient will do. However, I assume the function name 'EXPO' was thought to be a sexier name to put in the manual, so it stuck.

In the Weekenders colum Alex shows a photo of hole saws and says that they are dangerous.

Well I agree that the ones that he shows are as the blades can fly out of the holder.

If you buy decent ones the.blade cannot come out. I use mine on a regular basis in my Black and Dekker drill.

They can be quite cheap for a set of these.

holesaw.jpg

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/02/2018 14:50:35

I had a lovely wallow in nostalgia reading the article on dethermalisers... I well remember that diagram for the d/t using a cradle and and elastic band, triggered by a burning d/t fuse, as I built one as a teenager from that very same picture and fitted to a KK Snipe, DC Wasp powered. Used to cycle down to the field with the wing tucked under my arm. Engine would run fine at home, never did get it to start at the field. Those were the days!

Never felt the need to post here but this time there is something I wanted to say. Although I like the magazine a lot Like some others I feel left out as a foreign subscriber. We don't get the welcome present on first subscribtion, we can't take part in any contest either. Not realy a big thing for me, just the magazine is more then enough. Nut now we don't get the extra suplement either. Not the jet suplement, neither the from the workbench one. Keep up the good work in putting the magazine together but don't forget the foreign subscribers either.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

As Tom says, neither supplement contained brand new material so, if you're a print & digital subscriber then it's all in the digital archive including the supplements themselves. Sadly, the cost of producing and dispatching copies for overseas precludes inclusion.

Selling magazines can be a challenging business these days and occasional offers on the shelves in UK newsagents (particularly WH Smith who - needless to say - sell more copies of the magazine than any other retailer) will come along from time to time. We have to sometimes give the UK casual buyers (still the largest market) a nudge from time to time.

I can appreciate the sentiments of course and we'll keep things under review going forward.

David

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 23/02/2018 06:45:57

Whilst the supplements are OK, I'm not overly sure that they do very much for regular readers/subscribers to the magazine (depends on the subject, of course). David's comment about "giving casual buyers a nudge" by making the mag more attractive on the shelves of WHS is understandable and fair enough, and also makes good commercial sense, but how about doing something a little different from 'introductions to' or 'beginners guides to whatever' from time to time as the supplement?

I'd like to see the occasional dedicated photographic supplement that covers a particular theme or part of our hobby, perhaps some amusing old photos from the archives, competition photos, best of the shows, large models, small models, splat photos, photos sent in by readers, perhaps a mixture? -  the choices are numerous.

RCM&E must have a huge image library going back many years and containing some great material that never made it to publication or could stand a reprise - an ideal chance to give them the light of day perhaps? - entertaining for the regulars and a useful hook for the casual buyer as well. Just a thought.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/02/2018 08:25:12

Just managed to get to WH Smith's and pick up the latest issue - which is presented in a sealed cellophane bag with the words "Amazing Value!" printed across the top.

What it doesn't say so prominently is the magazine has now gone up (again) to £5.50 - which I don't consider to be 'Amazing Value', especially after the quiet disappearance of one of my favourite contributors, and the inclusion of uninteresting new 'old' plans which simply aren't worth looking at any more.

Consequently, for several months I have found myself questioning my continued loyalty to RCM&E, but with today's purchase I am feeling like the balance has been tipped and the end is near.

Dare I say, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask!

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 23/02/2018 06:38:23:

Thanks for the feedback folks.

As Tom says, neither supplement contained brand new material so, if you're a print & digital subscriber then it's all in the digital archive including the supplements themselves. Sadly, the cost of producing and dispatching copies for overseas precludes inclusion.

Selling magazines can be a challenging business these days and occasional offers on the shelves in UK newsagents (particularly WH Smith who - needless to say - sell more copies of the magazine than any other retailer) will come along from time to time. We have to sometimes give the UK casual buyers (still the largest market) a nudge from time to time.

I can appreciate the sentiments of course and we'll keep things under review going forward.

David

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 23/02/2018 06:45:57

Is it true that subscribers to "print only" are able to access subscribers only articles via this site ? If so why not include the contents of supplements with these articles. That way the overseas subscribers will at least be able to read them, so long as they have internet access.

As a casual buyer of RCM&E I always have a quick scan of the contents to see if there's enough interesting reading before parting with the cash. If there isn't or if I can't scan the contents it goes back on the shelf.
Perhaps I'm in the minority of casual buyers but the "nudge" backfires on me, I never buy any copy that comes with a supplement due to the fact that it's in a sealed bag.

Posted by PatMc on 23/02/2018 20:05:15:

As a casual buyer of RCM&E I always have a quick scan of the contents to see if there's enough interesting reading before parting with the cash. If there isn't or if I can't scan the contents it goes back on the shelf.

Perhaps I'm in the minority of casual buyers but the "nudge" backfires on me, I never buy any copy that comes with a supplement due to the fact that it's in a sealed bag.

Personally I choose to support the magazine by buying a subscription as there is always something of interest and RCM&E broadens my model flying horizons too. The hobby will be the poorer without this flagship magazine and it will surely founder without people buying subscriptions. Subscription numbers are important to advertisers and advertisers are the lifeblood of magazines.

It is a good magazine, support it, don't cherrypick; get a subscription!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 23/02/2018 20:48:41

Posted by Patrick Heeren on 22/02/2018 18:50:04:

Never felt the need to post here but this time there is something I wanted to say. Although I like the magazine a lot Like some others I feel left out as a foreign subscriber. We don't get the welcome present on first subscribtion, we can't take part in any contest either. Not realy a big thing for me, just the magazine is more then enough. Nut now we don't get the extra suplement either. Not the jet suplement, neither the from the workbench one. Keep up the good work in putting the magazine together but don't forget the foreign subscribers either.

I'm in the same position, Patrick, with my mag sent overseas. If you have the subscription, the supplements are available in the Digital Archive

Pete

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 23/02/2018 20:47:43:

Posted by PatMc on 23/02/2018 20:05:15:

Personally I choose to support the magazine by buying a subscription as there is always something of interest and RCM&E broadens my model flying horizons too. The hobby will be the poorer without this flagship magazine and it will surely founder without people buying subscriptions. Subscription numbers are important to advertisers and advertisers are the lifeblood of magazines.

It is a good magazine, support it, don't cherrypick; get a subscription!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 23/02/2018 20:48:41

Thanks for your interest, Piers but I'm happy to make my own choice as to which good causes deserve my financial support.