An Introduction to the PSSA 2018 Mass Build Project

Advert

Found this photo of the wing light which shows it clearly...

The lamp looks to be vertically orientated when the tail is sat down, so clearly it would point down when the aircraft is in level flight. Also looks to be sat quite well below the wing aerofoil C/L looking at the position of the gun ports and the line where the upper surface camo meets the underside duck egg blue.

hurricane lights.jpg

I think this is a great project. I am so backed up on other projects that I couldn't take part when invited. But I am keen to see how you all get on. If anybody needs any info on the Hurri just drop me a message. A terrific resource, if you are really keen on getting the detail right, is an interactive DVD "Hurricane Explored" published by FlyingZone publications.

Cheers

Danny

• 1 month later...

Well, I've just about been managing to resist this one until now - then the 10% off RAF centenary offer arrived from Sarik. . . .

Whilst I was lucky enough to see the prototype's maiden flight on my (so far, one and only) visit to the Great Orme in 2016, I'm not likely to get there for the mass fly-in this year so won't be working to any deadline. However, I will post here when the build gets underway, so hope to join in with the mass build at some stage before the rest of you have all finished!

Trevor

Posted by John H. Rood on 24/04/2018 13:36:23:

This photo recently appeared somewheres online; photographer’s name I do not yet possess but I will add it asap.

lamps.jpeg

Now that is interesting John, I have the Hurricane wiring diagrams and having both landing lights on at the same time shouldn't be possible........

Cheers

Danny

It's time to add a little bit of motivation I think as we approach the '2 months in' stage of this Mass Build Project.

Who's not started their kit yet?? clockwinkthumbs up

You may remember the prototype model built and test flown by Matt Jones back in April 2016 when we were still scoping out this years chosen subject... Once balanced the model flew really well and we left that meet confident that the Hurricane should be the topic of choice for 2018. The good news is Matt has retained that original model and over weeks running up to our first event of the season in April he'd spent some time and readied it to comp entry level...

Taking it from this...

prototype 1.jpg

...to THIS!

matts finished prototype.jpg

The model is finished as P3069 - An early Mk1 example from 303 Sqn based at RAF Northolt in September 1940.

The model is painted using airbrushed enamels over the original Solarfilm which was Prymol etched. The pilot and exhaust stubs are made by Real Model Pilots (1/9th scale) and the decals are from Pyramid Models. The models AUW has increased a little with these additions towards 2.75lb.

Inspiring stuff!! Now back to the building board chaps - it'll soon be September!! devil

• 2 weeks later...