New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 26/02/2019 13:50:27:

Just in case there was ever a question about the power produced from these little 50mm FMS 'gem of a fan', here's a video form Sunday and the new Hunter..The model size is identical to the MiG/Sabre and the cheat holes for this model is a 40mm x 70mm hole in the underside. On board was the FMS 50mm 3s version, a 2200mah 35C 3S cheap lipo and a cheapo 40amp ESC....the AUW at the moment is 20oz......excuse the rubbish hand launch

https://youtu.be/fsw_oj0dvDY

Edited By Tony Nijhuis on 26/02/2019 13:54:45

That does fly well.thumbs up

Steve

Advert

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 26/02/2019 23:13:28:

Ian...so looking back through the postings you say you have the FMS 50mm from Banggood?... and assume it 3S version not the 4S? ........on the assumption you have some cheat holes in the sides you have 600g of thrust at your disposal!!! thats one to one trust to weight ratio which rocket stuff!!!......if you can only get it to power glide without the lid off, then there is something wrong with your Fan/ lipos or ESC setup.....the Hunter is 5oz heavier than the Mig and goes like a rocket (as did the MiG)!

I will do a video of MiG at some point if only to silence the critics!

Ahh, I will have to dig the fan out because it never occurred to me that it may be a 4s version which may be why I am getting no joy. It has loads of power with the lid off. I have tried a cheat hole in the bottom of the fuz and enlarged ducts in the side with poor results so maybe this is the answer. Thanks for the reply Tony.

Hi Ray, I have had a word with george and 4Max may now stock them...I will also do the same at some point in the future

Anthony, just because you are installing the more powerfully FMS fan in dosent mean the duration will be any less. You simply use enough power to fly the model....half throttle for the FMS fan and 3/4 throttle for the cheaper less power hungry AEO fan.

The Prototype Hunter you see in the video started life with a 1500mah 65C pack and now it carries a 2200mah 35C cheaper pack because the FMS fans has more power and the ability to carry the extra weight...easy decision i think.

Woody, You will have an extra 200g trust with the 4S....800g in total!!! but you have a throttle so you wont need full throttle.

At least with 4S the current draw will be less so duration will be better as long as your sparing with the throttle.....enjoy the thrill!!!!

Edited By Tony Nijhuis on 01/03/2019 15:42:54

Hi All, well my kit has arrived, still waiting for the fan. Maybe a daft question but I haven’t built a wooden model for 15 years! Is it purely bonded together with thick cyano (and kicker)?.

Also the canopy is cloudy, will it be possible to polish the cloudiness out? If so what polish is best for this?

regards,

Tony

Hi tony - I used mainly DELUX "Super Phatic" glue on mine.

Also, I live in Canada and it wasn't practical to order a canopy from Tony so I used a clear one and sprayed the inside with a couple of coats of translucent green. The model isn't scale and I didn't want to detail the cockpit.

Good luck on your build, I had a great time building mine.

f-86.jpg

Tony, if you have any Johnson's Kleer ( or equivalent ) kicking about the house ( It's a floor polish / protectant ) dip your canopy in it and leave to dry / drain on a kitchen towel. check first with an offcut from the backing sheet first just in case Sarik use some kind of ammonia/witchcraft based plastic or coating though.

I build a lot of plastic models and it's a standard trick with slightly rough canopies. ( the stuff also makes a fantastic clear coat for plastic models, I must try it on a flying one one of these days)

img_7036.jpg

this is the FMS 50mm 3s version......these are really superb fan and can deliver 600g of thrust. I hoping to order a batch of these in the near future so my customers will have some order certancy. The one below is the AEO 50mm 3s version rated at around 400g....having now tried both the FMS is really the prefered choice and more importantly, the power can carry the 2200mah lipo.....the FMS EDF is only around £5 more

img_7037.jpg

I installed the FMS 3s in my Sabre and my preliminary testing agreed with the 600g thrust, I got 559 grams with 10.4 Volts in my battery,

dscn2912.jpg

I'm not sure how easy it will be to launch though as it weighs 15.37 oz with everything installed except the battery and my batteries weight:

1300 is 3.67 oz

1800 is 4.90 oz

2200 is 6.31 oz

dscn2942.jpg

I won't be able to fly it for a while as we still have about 2 feet of snow on the field.

Edited By Steven Shaw on 11/03/2019 22:53:40

There is hope for me then as my AUW with the 2200 will be 21.68 oz. I need to install the 2200 as far forward as possible to achieve the C of G on the drawing. It looks like I should have planed off more balsa at the rear of the plane.

Edited By Steven Shaw on 12/03/2019 12:24:45