Windermere Model Waterplane flyers events 2018

Dear all

With just over two weeks to go until our first splash-in of the year at Ullswater I thought it would be good to list full dates and details of our 2018 splash-ins.

Dates

24/25 March

21/22 April

19/20 May

23/24 June

22/23 September

20/21 October

Location is Waterside House farm near Pooley Bridge, nearest postcode is CA10 2NA. Please send me a pm for exact access details if you haven't been before.

**Note** If you have been before can we kindly ask that you pay your car parking fee directly to the farm shop upon arrival, but the WMWF club will still collect the flying fee from you. Thanks.

Open to non-members of WMWF although annual club membership is only £5 and that gives discounted flying.

Fees are £3/day flying for non-members and £1/day flying for members.

BMFA A-certs or SAA equivalents are needed to fly solo and B-cert or equivalent for over 7Kg models.

Club rules require anyone intending to fly jet turbine powered models or over 20Kg models to contact the committee a minimum of two weeks in advance of a fly-in giving full details of the intended flying.

Hope to see some of you there for some relaxed fun flying.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 08/03/2018 16:57:33

Oldgit, if you are in a motorhome, then the flying site is actually on a campsite that accommodates motorhomes, but not caravans. Indeed some of our members have motorhomes and park immediately next to the flying area.

The nearest caravan site is Park Foot, a couple of hundred yards away as Percy says.

Just to let any interested parties know, the Ullswater Steamer company have a live webcam and weather station at their Pooley Bridge pier.

Our flying site is off to the left of the view of the webcam, but at least you can see what conditions are like.

I only discovered these last year, but I found them useful.

Webcam:

**LINK**

Weather Station:

**LINK**

Good stuff! A lot of the small foamie seaplanes/flying boats can get upset by big water at an open site like Ullswater and much time is spent getting the rescue boat out to fetch them back and dry them out. There's a lot less shelter than you might be used to on a quarry pond.

I like something a bit bigger that can handle any/all weather and water conditions (bit like the ideal PSS model ) but we do get calm conditions sometimes, so don't let me put you off.

I've got a half-built Nijhuis Sunderland and the only thing I would say to you is don't bother with the CNC parts because they are too woody and too heavy.

Oh - that's the main attraction for me is the CNC kit (other than the lovely shape of the aircraft of course)! I hate cutting out formers for days on end. Any large-ish Catalina plan / parts out there that you know of?

Edited By Andy Meade on 09/03/2018 14:17:33

I used the front fuselage formers in my model and everything else as templates to cut new, thinner parts.

You do know that TN used the wing plan from his B-17 on his Sunderland as well don't you?

The Catalina can be a tricky model subject from water, but I've seen one built from these plans go well:

**LINK**

Another vote for Ivan Pettigrew’s designs. The plans are though hand drawn so anyone accustomed to the engineering precision of CAD drawn plans might find them to be a bit of a culture shock. However, I’ve yet to see an Ivan model that didn’t fly beautifully, regardless of the experience level of the builder.

Search RCGroups (or follow the link from Ivan’s website) to see links to lots of build threads and videos. And of course, anyone building an Ivan design is automatically enrolled in BIMBO! Again, search RCGroups for details.

Trevor

Posted by Andy Meade on 09/03/2018 14:17:00:

Oh - that's the main attraction for me is the CNC kit (other than the lovely shape of the aircraft of course)! I hate cutting out formers for days on end. Any large-ish Catalina plan / parts out there that you know of?

Edited By Andy Meade on 09/03/2018 14:17:33

Andy this site may be of interest to you, if you haven't seen it before. These Bart Lamerse designs are all beautifully CNC cut and you can find images of them under construction on RC groups. There is not a PBY Catalina available unfortunately but there is a Shorts S23 Empire flying boat in two sizes (2.1m and 2.8m), the smaller based in Ivan Pettigrue's design. Also a Grumman Wigeon (2.1m), a Dornier 24K (2.8m) and a Dornier Wal (1.5m). They are all electric I think but could be easily modified for those into IC. The Wal really appeals to me, it is one of those 'marmite' designs I think and has the advantage of being more compact, not to mention not suffering from asymmetric problems, engine out.

I flew an electric Puddle Master years ago which was great fun but I can confirm that where flying boats are concerned, bigger is definitely better on a big lake.