World Models. From Steve Web

CARPERFECT

Hi Every one. has anybody every had a model made by World Models (China)

Just got my first from Steve Webb. Service and price very good. plus free 24hr delivery for items over £125. I wanted something different, Done all the wot4 twins etc. So i went for a World models Groovy 50 3 D. Made for 70 size 4 strokes. well the wood is like match sticks, if you have anything but a perfect landing. you would be looking at a pile of match wood. £150 no way. About to send it back. And Exchange it for a Black Horse Renagde.. Any Thoughts anyone ?

Edited By CARPERFECT on 28/04/2018 09:30:29

Advert

Well, two observations:

1. I have the World Models 1:5 Piper Cub - excellent model, had it for years, initially IC powered then converted to electric. Still going well.

2. I haven't had a Groovy, but one of my clubmates has had two and swears by them. Most 3D targeted models are built like that these days. Very lightweight CNC machined thin ply structures. But they are deceptively strong - well within limits! Maybe you just need to work on your landing technique a bit wink 2

BEB

Many many ARTF will be reduced to matchwood from a hard landing CP

And time should be spent extending the inner cage around the landing gear, the motor mount

And some on the horizontal flying surface attachment.

We should not have to re-engineer so often, but we have too.

It is very rare nowadays to buy a built up airframe without additional work.

Low bounce wheels should be the norm, as the lightweight solid tyres provided, do you no favours when landing

I re-engineer every undercarriage in some way, and on a recent Taylorcraft, completely rebuilt the wire undercarriage.

This is not peculiar to World Models, which are probably the best quality in their price range

Edited By Denis Watkins on 28/04/2018 09:55:23

I don't know the Groovy but my ancient WM Super Chipmunk is exceptionally well built and is a real treat to fly, it is fully aerobatic but slows up nicely too. All round a well designed and well manufactured piece of kit which is more than I can say for the BlackHorse Provost or the Seagull Maule or SeaFury. At least the u/c hasn't dropped out of the WM model!

Its gone back. They called me after receiving the email. all very good service. Cost me £11 to return, but better than being unhappy. They did say it was very lightly built. as are most 3d planes. they are exchanging it for the Black Horse Renagade, which they say is built stronger .

World models are good all-rounder aircraft, although the scale models are only really cartoon scale, but enough for the club modeler.

They are light, easy to assemble and have no nasty vices, although one or two have had a silly manufactruing slip, for example, one model, their .40 size Typhoon looks nice, but on the film, there are things like "WWW.WorldModels", etc. Don't think the internet or WM was around in 1945...

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 28/04/2018 15:48:22:

I thought the Groovy came in two versions, 3D, very light and Aerobatic, built like a brick out- house.

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 28/04/2018 16:05:21

I think the current Groovy is "Groovy Mk2" and has had some modifications - wing mounting different and lighter, more modern, construction. So it could well be that the Mk1 is the "brick out-house" while Mk2 is more a 3D machine?

BEB

Carperfect. I have had a mk1 and mk2 Renegade and both flew well. The mk2 seems a bit heavy to me (not actually weighed it). My mk 1 ended it's life by flying into a black plastic bag which turned out to be full of concrete/bricks after an off course landing. you will enjoy it I think.

John

I've got their Dago Red Mustang "Reno" racer - seems very adequately constructed and survived a rather too low pass at slightly less than zero feet with only the (easily fixed back) dummy radiator and (not easily fixed but easily replaced) propeller blades departing from the model. Even the supplied mechanical retracts have given great service - after the slightly soft legs seemed to work harden themselves with repeated straightening. (They were so soft that several times they bent enough during taxy/take off to foul the wheel wells after retraction).