Precedent models from the 80, Hi-Boy, Low-Boy and Supernova

Chris.
The Lo-boy 5 with flap is how they marketed the original version (see my pics of the 2 different boxes earlier on the thread). The revamped version was still 5 channel with a central flap but the box featured this less prominently and just called the model a Lo-boy 5

Edited By Richard Clayton 4 on 17/05/2018 22:06:14

• 2 years later...

An old thread but might be some of you who still have some details of the LoBoy5 perhaps?

I have put a Thunder Tigre GP42 in mine and it has plenty of power, it climbs when I open the throttle so I'm thinking I need more engine downthrust. Anybody got details of what it should be please?

Also might be handy to have CofG info as I've only got the model with no plans or instructions.

For the CG, I would have thought 25% to 30% of chord would be perfectly ok, it is a very standard layout.

For thrust angle, I'd just pop a flat washer under the top pair of bolts holding the mount to the firewall and see what happens. If it works better then maybe get a proper 'thrust wedge' sorted out, but the washers will tell you if it is the right mod.

Thanks guys!! It is an older type model with wooden engine bearers so need to pack the engine itself, I made up some aluminium wedges but think the 4ba screws are a bit tight in the engine so will try to knock out the nuts from the bottom and go for 3mm.

C of g seems to be pretty good at low speed so I'm prettu sure my problems are with engine thrust line.

Something not right there Paul... I had an older Lo-boy 5 with the ply engine mounting plate and it had no downthrust and nor did it need any. The model has a HUGE tailplane which allows you to carry a surprisingly rearwards CG (IE 33-35%) but retain solid stability. I wonder if either your CG is too far forwards or there is an error in the decalage, especially the tailplane incidence). I think that would be unlikely due to the very prefabricated nature of the kit - hard to go too wrong!

Here's my old one getting wet:

img_4421_1.jpg

It flies well at low speed with no tendency to "porpoise" so I'm not sure, having looked at loads of photos of the model I don't see any that seem to have much downthrust.

Mine has a slightly bigger canopy so maybe it is an early "LoBoy 5"

I've got the receiver battery way up front and the Thunder Tigre should weigh at least as much as the OS 40 LA?

Going to double check the c of g and see if adding a bit of weight up front might help.

This is what the Turbo was. Belonged to a friend when I was teaching him back in 1994 but was killed in a car accident. The model was given to the ATC, hanging up, named the "Westwood FLyer", never to fly again. Not sure where it is now...

In fact, the building it was in got built due to 4 cadets in car accidents at the time, David was in a car of 3 (all died), the other one 2 weeks apart. 

davids plane.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 02/06/2020 14:55:03

• Like 1

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 01/06/2020 15:29:37:

Something not right there Paul... I had an older Lo-boy 5 with the ply engine mounting plate and it had no downthrust and nor did it need any. The model has a HUGE tailplane which allows you to carry a surprisingly rearwards CG (IE 33-35%) but retain solid stability. I wonder if either your CG is too far forwards or there is an error in the decalage, especially the tailplane incidence). I think that would be unlikely due to the very prefabricated nature of the kit - hard to go too wrong!

Here's my old one getting wet:

img_4421_1.jpg

Just put it all back together and checked c of g (inverted with no fuel) The chord is 9 inches and c of g 3 inches back from leading edge so 33% .

I've taken out the B.A. fixed nuts and put 3mm ones in so the engine can definitely seat properly on the aluminium wedges I've made up for it.

Will have to try it again when we get another fairly calm day and report back what I find.yes

And did you check the wing and tailplane incidence? Like I said, mine needed no downthrust. It was a very neutral flier and it seems strange that yours needed any. I had an OS40FP fitted to mine which is probably close in power to your engine. It's hard to see why you need downthrust.

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 02/06/2020 18:58:31:

And did you check the wing and tailplane incidence? Like I said, mine needed no downthrust. It was a very neutral flier and it seems strange that yours needed any. I had an OS40FP fitted to mine which is probably close in power to your engine. It's hard to see why you need downthrust.

I guess the Thunder Tigre GP42 is similar in weight to the OS, I personally prefer the TT, it tunes really nicely and has bags of power, way better than the 40 LA.

I had a good look over the model last night and it seems to have the ailerons slightly up on both sides so I wonder if that is likely to make it lift on power? I've set them both a bit lower to more closely march the profile of the wing section, it will be interesting to see if that helps.

As previously mentioned; due to the nature of the kit it is pretty unlikely that any of the incident angles are far out? There is no evidence of damage to the model.

Maybe I could move the c of g a little froward from the current position, it is pretty well back at around 33% of chord.

Going to see whether what I have changed so far has made a difference first, never a good idea to change too many things without testing one at a time. yes

• 2 years later...

No.   

The Low Boy was one of the Precedent ( note spelling) range that eventually became part of SLEC but they don't list it now.    You might try Ebay to see if one comes up.    There are probably better models to build though - consider the SLEC Funfly.   Or look at the Phoenix Model Products Pepperpot.

Somebody got a HiBoy used model on EBay for £4.99 this week......so it's worth looking.

Edited by kc

• 1 year later...

Great memories I have just built a Hiboy Turbo. This was my first RC aircraft back in the 1990s I have used Futaba sky sport 6A on 35 MHz. And an OS 46 LA. It flys great. Had its maiden flight last Sunday. 

ba804d80-f792-4b4d-b75c-c368b3bc3742.jpeg

IMG_1677.jpeg

IMG_1885.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1899.jpeg

IMG_1956.jpeg

IMG_1970.jpeg

IMG_1979.jpeg

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg

IMG_2055.jpeg

58ab1bb6-eab3-45b7-8d66-2be71d106d4a.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chrissz said:

Great memories I have just built a Hiboy Turbo. This was my first RC aircraft back in the 1990s I have used Futaba sky sport 6A on 35 MHz. And an OS 46 LA. It flys great. Had its maiden flight last Sunday. 

ba804d80-f792-4b4d-b75c-c368b3bc3742.jpeg

IMG_1677.jpeg

IMG_1885.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1899.jpeg

IMG_1956.jpeg

IMG_1970.jpeg

IMG_1979.jpeg

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg

IMG_2055.jpeg