New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018

GONZO

Advert

An absolutely excellent result - well done to all involved, it's everything we could reasonably have hoped for. Seems the OP was little premature!

I am particularly pleased that the exemption applies to all members, including country members flying at non-club sites. I had a real fear from the outset that that distinction may be made. But no, it hasn't been and that is a mighty relief to us all.

Happy flying everyone!

BEB

Posted by Paul C. on 25/07/2018 09:17:50:
Hi all, great news I am on hols and on my phone so apologies for typos. Does the exemptions apply to none BMFA,lma etc. Some clubs members have other insurance cover.
Paul.

The wording specifically states that the exemption only applies to members of the 4 associations which negotiated it.

Congratulations to the BMFA and the allied associations for negotiating an excellent result.

There's just one area which I've been trying to clarify by reading the new permission document, the ANO Article 94, the relevant but now out-of date BMFA Handbook sections 8.1(4)(b) and 8.1(4)(c) and the BMFA update.

The old BMFA rules (2017 edition) page14, paras 8.1(4), 8.1(4)(b) and 8.1(4)(c) were perfectly clear that model flying within an aerodrome traffic zone was restricted to below 400ft for models weighing over 7kg and that those weighing less than 7kg weren't so restricted. Note that para 8.1(4) subsumes all subsequent sub-paras.

The new permission document isn't quite so clear. Para 3a of the permission does state that the mass of the SUA shall not exceed 7kg etc, but does not subsume para 3d, which states that the permission shall not apply to any flight within the flight restriction zone of a protected aerodrome ... etc.

This means to me that the old rule whereby you could fly a sub-7kg model above 400ft within an air traffic zone has gone, but I might be wrong.

The BMFA update states that any model aircraft flying within 1km of the boundary of a licensed airfield at any height will have to be with the permission of the airfield air traffic control or airfield operator. Clearly this applies to all models whether under or over 7kg. Is this 1km limit the same as the "flight restriction zone" mentioned earlier, which is a far smaller area than the ATZ? Or does "flight restriction zone" mean "ATZ"

What I'd like to have clarified, in the context of the majority of model flyers, is this: which of the following statements applies in regards to, say, Manchester Airport ATZ, Birmingham Airport ATZ, etc:

a. Nothing flies over 400ft

b. Models under 7kg can still fly over 400ft but those over 7kg are prohibited.

There are quite a lot of model flyers located near airports who will be affected by the answer.

Gordon

If the exemption applies only to members of the 4 associations then it means we are forced to stay members of BMFA or LMA etc! It gives them a monopoly.......

But where do the non BMFA/LMA etc members stand? What laws apply to them from now on?

Posted by kc on 25/07/2018 12:53:13:

If the exemption applies only to members of the 4 associations then it means we are forced to stay members of BMFA or LMA etc! It gives them a monopoly.......

But where do the non BMFA/LMA etc members stand? What laws apply to them from now on?

Not forced at all. Either don't fly above 400ft or apply for your own personal exemption, you will need to submit an operational safety case and pay the fee which is about £1800.00 + VAT

Well done to all from me as well.

I does seem that my Qudratwirl (4-rotor autogyro) is still limited to under 400 feet (not that I think I'd see it that well above that anyway, and I mostly flew it indoors). Does an autogyro have "lifting rotor or rotors", even though it/they are not powered? I would think so!

Is the Tony Nijhuis Harrier restricted to 400 feet as it has 4, lift generating "rotors"?

Note, I'm not being negative, we have an excellent result, just thinking about clarifying things. Clearly, if in doubt, keep below 400 feet.

Mike

I didn't moan about the cost of BMFA subs even though they are almost 7 times the cost they were in 1984 when I first joined! What i don't agree with is giving any organisation ( or group of them ) a monopoly. It's a bad principle. It's rather like saying you can drive on the ordinary roads but you must be a member of the AA or RAC to drive on motorways!

With all respect, but to those complaining that this exemption only applied to members of the 4 organisations listed, but what else would you expect? Making it open to everyone would simply remove the requirement for any legislation at all.

Personally, I think its a great result and I am thoroughly delighted.

Regarding Gordon's point I think the new 'within 1km of an airfield' rule now takes precedence over the old 'operating within ATC/ATZ' rules previously published. If so, it makes it far clearer and easier to comply with - except for aircraft > 7kg which are restricted to 400ft ATL regardless. I expect that a process to gain individual exemptions - i.e. ring ATC - may follow in due course.

Martyn