Is this yet another scam

Peter Miller

This morning I had a caller who claimed to be from Call Guardian . His English was pretty poor. He claimed that they were preventing cold calls coming through.

I have never asked for or subscribed to Call Guardian

He asked me for the month of expiry of my debit card. He gave the right year but wanted to know which of two months it expired in. in that year.

I told him that I did I knew nothing of Call Guardian and I certainly was not telling him ANY information about my debit card.

I also checked with my bank and checked my account on line. All is OK at the moment,

Anyone had a similar call?

Advert

I've never heard of the outfit you refer to, but I'd hasten to add, I'd have no qualms about reporting the call to the Fraud Squad..... This kind of scum wants putting down...

I've had several calls from the so-called Tech Support Group of BT....when queried with BT they say no such body exists but they aware....strange because I'm ex-directory and the calls started not long after I'd chosen BT as my isp....strange indeed.

Edited By John Rudd on 04/06/2018 10:23:25

So BT are letting us down, then how about the NHS.?

Each year, 24 hours after my appointment, I get more than one cold call regarding health aid equipment for the home.

So one greedy receptionist is selling ex directory contact information to equipment sellers?

Not a scam, just out and out piracy

Yes I've had them making out my contract with them is about to expire and would I confirm the last 3 digits etc.I told him I never had a contract with them and the only nuisance calls I get are from people like them. He tried to talk over me to make some point or other. I told him to shut up and listen. T said I don't need them or anything like them and not to come back with a different name and was reporting them. He was but but butting as I blew my very very loud BR Guards whistle down the phone. I hung up. I bet his ear is sore. My LoTH says I'm vindictive. I say Im justified. Comments???

Posted by Denis Watkins on 04/06/2018 11:18:49:

So one greedy receptionist is selling ex directory contact information to equipment sellers?

LOL! Yeah - blame the poor sap on the front line. I don't suppose for one minute that it's the greedy bosses at your NHS Trust selling the data, do you?

I used to get cold calls from Call Guardian, ( I now have a call blocker device integral with the phone ). I used to point the irony of getting a cold call about a service that would allegedly stop cold calls! I too used to like to keep them talking as long as possible to waste their time. Then report them to the ICO. Information Commissioners Office.

• 11 months later...

The scammers are getting really stupid.

I had a phone call. An obviously oriental voice gave a very, very English name. He then said that he was calling from the Ministry of Justice and that they had decided that I was due some money.

They would send me £3000 with all the paper work. Would I prefer a cheque or have the money paid into my bank account.

At this point I told him that this was the most pathetic attempt at a scam that I had ever heard and I was actually laughing.

For some reason he did not persist in trying to persuade me that I was going to get some money.

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/05/2019 10:50:31

My latest was "I'm calling about the motor accident you had recently which wasn't your fault". Politely told the young lady she was a scammer and not to bother me again. I must have been in an exceptionally good mood - most such callers get much more of an earful, full of asterisks and exclamation marks. They really are pests of the lowest order.

Same crap over here, I usually ask them to hold a moment then pick the phone up now and again informing them I wont be a moment, 16 minutes is the longest so far before it goes silent or they get really bolshie and they tell me I am wasting their time, my response is now you know what it feels like and hang up, sometimes if i'm not in the mood for games i'll put the phone down as soon as i know its a scam now with call display I don't bother picking it up.

Have fun all of you.

Tony.....

A year or so ago I had a call from IRD (tax dept) from an Indian. Hmmm??? So I asked for his name and said I'd ring back. I rang IRD and told the girl who answered. She laughed, said it was actually genuine but she'd handle it. Yes, it was genuine and she knew why I was doing what I was doing but you can't be too careful.

If it might be genuine, look it up in the phone book and ring. A number from the caller might not be correct.

Posted by Alex Ferguson 2 on 17/05/2019 10:20:44:

A year or so ago I had a call from IRD (tax dept) from an Indian. Hmmm??? So I asked for his name and said I'd ring back. I rang IRD and told the girl who answered. She laughed, said it was actually genuine but she'd handle it. Yes, it was genuine and she knew why I was doing what I was doing but you can't be too careful.

If it might be genuine, look it up in the phone book and ring. A number from the caller might not be correct.

And either use a different phone, your mobile perhaps, or dial a known number first to make sure that the call has cleared. The call does not shutdown until they hang up and there have been cases where they play a dial tone until they hear you redial and then pass the line to another scammer.

Edited By Megawatt on 17/05/2019 10:50:35

Another new one has been on my phone twice. Must have been dreamed up by a truly moronic individual but it could worry some of the less experienced or more easily confused old people.

The well educated English voice says that it is a call from a "Law enforcement agency" and that a case has been filed against my name. My National Insurance number has been frozen. Press 1 to speak to my case officer"

Unfortunately I am aware that pressing 1will probably cost me a lot on my phone bill.

I would like to have been able to suggest that he tells his parents (if he ever knew them and they are both human) to get married.

Edited By Peter Miller on 22/05/2019 14:19:34

I had a call earlier this year supposedly from HMRC. A rather disjointed recording in an american voice said i was due to pay a rather large sum in overdue taxes and should contact my legal representative. The voice went on in a rather threatening tone that failure to press 1 and speak to an agent would result in court proceedings. As a "tax exile" I live in Portugal and know not to press any button. Several months on and I have still not been taken to court.