World Cup 2018

Devcon1

OK, I am really trying to get into this football thing as a newbie - well at least for theduration of the world cup.

I watched the first game against Tunisia, and I watched the second one yesterday, well most of it. You see, at the risk of getting lynched, I fell a asleep half-way through the second bit and it was finished when I woke up! It needs to be more exciting really to hold my attention. I suppose 6 goals is quite exciting really, I must try harder.

But I have a question, everyone is obviously very pleased and all that naturally, but isn't that result kind of just what what you might expect, given what people say about the relative strength of the two sides? I mean isn't it "good" but nothing special? Or is that mistaken?

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/06/2018 09:34:13:

But I have a question, everyone is obviously very pleased and all that naturally, but isn't that result kind of just what what you might expect, given what people say about the relative strength of the two sides? I mean isn't it "good" but nothing special? Or is that mistaken?

BEB

Falling asleep watching football is not unusual!

You might argue that the result was expected, however, we couldn't beat ANY team at the previous WC, and that was our biggest win EVER at a WC - you can only beat what is in front of you.

Also, Belgium are regarded as a great side - and our record is currently identical to theirs.....

I'll have a word with the lads BEB and see if they can do 5 goals in each half next time. That should do the trick wink and keep you on the edge of your seat!

At a world cup there is always a mismatch in strength. Some countries have one or more star players but don't really have a team. Some countries have no star talent but a lot of good players forged into an excellent team. Some good teams have trouble against lesser teams due to differences in style and sometimes have difficulty breaking down other teams that play defensively. Remember that all teams have to qualify except the hosts and some big names didn't like Holland and Italy.
I suppose one of the attractions of the world cup apart from national pride is the surprise result that completely throws the predictions (world cup holders Germany losing to Mexico in the first round for instance). Usually though it is a good solid team that makes it through and with some luck and flashes of brilliance could take the cup. 6 - 1 is an exceptional result by any world cup measure and for England, a real sign that they at least have the ingredients to grab the trophy. Mores surprises to come as always but I think Gareth Southgate has created a very different dynamic and should be applauded for whatever level England reaches.

Levanter

Splendid explanation for us newbies, Lev. yes

I just hope BEB is reading your words of wisdom as it could keep him awake for the England vs Belgium to come later on this week. But then, not really that important as both our Teams are qualified for the next round.

As a matter of fact, "I'm totally innocent, Your Honour"... angel The LotH is a major Red Devils fan and she brought me in to it. cool

Cheers & good luck, gents

Chris

In this World Cup I don't know what to expect any more other than the unexpected.

On paper we should always have beaten Panama but I think it was the temperament they held in the face of some pretty unpleasant play and the overall team effort and brilliant finishing. We also have a devastating penalty taker.

I've gone through too many heart breaks with England in the past so I'll temper myself with having Germany in the work sweepstake.

Falling asleep, done that a few times on late MOTDs. If we progress that might be a better option than dealing with the tension/nerves.

Thanks for the pointers chaps - very interesting. I think I "get it", on paper a predictable result maybe, but in reality nothing is certain and history has shown it can do very much against the form book.

Quite looking forward to Thursday's game (I never thought I'd say that!) I'll do my very best to stay awake, honest.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/06/2018 09:34:13:

OK, I am really trying to get into this football thing as a newbie - well at least for theduration of the world cup.

I watched the first game against Tunisia, and I watched the second one yesterday, well most of it. You see, at the risk of getting lynched, I fell a asleep half-way through the second bit and it was finished when I woke up! It needs to be more exciting really to hold my attention. I suppose 6 goals is quite exciting really, I must try harder.

BEB

It's nothing special, but we are through to the second phase, hence the elation. wink

Following English teams is a bumpy journey, with far more troughs than peaks, any time you've a chance for a nap during a game, it should be grabbed.

C'mon the Lads...face 1

Posted by john stones 1 on 27/06/2018 18:27:27:

Willie Messerschmitt, Kaiser Wilhelm, Irving Berlin wink Your boys took a hell of a beating. teeth 2

How will I ever get over the mighty boche being knocked out........

Oh wait, I have,............. Fritz your plane leaves in 20 mins gate 4 see ya.....

Oh dear indeed Martin...

I organised the sweepstake at work and for the first time I drew a team that on paper was a decent pick, now guess who my second team was.... Yup, South Korea.

We do the draw with 16 players two teams each and split into the top and bottom 16 based on FIFA rankings. In theory nobody ends up with two duffers, we all know about theories . I was the only person in the sweepstake who ended up with their two teams in the same qualifying group as well.

I work in a mainly Rugby department and one of my colleagues who has no interest in Football ends up with England and Croatia..

Does this bode well for us, I know my fiver is up the swanny.