Exhaust thread worn out

Glenn Stevenson

Advert

If the head thread is worn ,usually due to exhaust loosening , then you will have to buy a new head I may be wrong but I don't think anyone repairs them as there isn't enough metal to tap into to insert a heli-coil or similar.

You may find an model engineer who can cut a new stub thread a bit oversize that will screw into the existing thread or whats left of it .

Best bet is to try and source a good secondhand cyl head but may be difficult. There must be thousands lying around in workshops but modelers seem reluctant to break or sell old four-strokes ?.

When you get it sorted the best way I have found to tighten the exhaust into the head is as follows .

First and very important is balance the prop . Its the vibes that shake the unsupported exhaust loose..If engine still vibrates badly then sort the problem as exhaust will keep loosening on a badly vibrating engine .

Screw the exhaust into the head until it wont go any further then back of to adjust angle and tighten lock-nut using a good fitting spanner. Run engine up to temp and stop it ,then quickly re tighten the lock nut firmly while engine is still hot.

Hope you manage to source a new head .

Posted by Glenn Stevenson on 19/06/2018 22:27:33:

Hi, my exhaust fell out of my OS70 fs this aftrenoon, into the long grass of course!

It had come loose earlier and I refitted it tightly. Looks like the threads in the head are worn. Do I have to buy a new head (plus exhaust and silencer) or can the thread be repaired?

Regards

Glenn

Have just looked at my 70, fearing the worst could happen to me, resulting in minimum £100 parts and repair, and 2 things stop mine falling off completely.

1. The pressure pipe attached to the silencer is a tight fit, and

2. If the header pipe became loose, the silencer falls and hits the model, preventing full detachment.

So you were unlucky Glen.

Alerted by your plight, have put a cotton thread around the pressure nipple, and wound this along the breather pipe to the model via screw.

Am also rebalancing the props on my 4 strokes,

Also on two models have drilled a pilot hole to insert a cocktail stick in the arc of any future movement of headers

So they cannot leave the model in the air

Hi

i had a similar problem with my NGH38 with vibration. The fix I found was to retap the threads from 4mm to 5mm using a plug tap. The view I took was its damaged any way so nothing to lose. This meant ordering some 5mm cap head bolts and chopping the heads off and using them as studs, then use stud lock to lock them in place and use nuts to tighten the silencer etc. Just a suggestion.

Peter

Posted by Peter Robinson 9 on 21/06/2018 08:36:00:

Hi

This meant ordering some 5mm cap head bolts and chopping the heads off and using them as studs, then use stud lock to lock them in place and use nuts to tighten the silencer etc. Just a suggestion.

Peter

It won't work on he smaller rs engines as they have a totally different mounting system . Good idea but not for the OS 70 and similar.

E.D.

There was and probably still a chap offering the services you require on the BMFA adds,,I would try him first,,

In production helicoils are sometimes used from new to give a better hold,, plus a helicoil can put up having bolts repeatedly removed better than plain aluminium