Rudder trim backwards on SG14 (only on one model)

dave windymiller

Im probably being dumb and missing something simple but my rudder trim operates opposite to the stick on one model (all others are fine). I could cure it by copying another similar model but i would like to know why. Its a model thats not flown for many years so this may be an old problem i never spotted before.

Rudder servo is not reversed, on rx output 4 (FRSKY 8 ch), no mixes and nothing else trying to drive output 4. All rates and endpoints are normal (no negatives) Rudder is J4, trim is T4. Cant see anything that may do this!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

Advert

OK, I wasn't going to answer this firstly because its Futaba and while I used that in passed its been a while and things have changed and secondly you say something that suggests that the advice I could offer is not so useful! But as everyone else is carefully "looking the other way" and pretending they haven't seen this I will have a go for what its worth!

OK, I had exactly the same problem a few weeks back, but for me it was on the ailerons. I took off, the model needed a bit of right aileron trim, so I dailed some in. Oh. it really needs more, so I put more in. I end up on full right trim and having the hold half way right aileron on the stick just to hold the wings level! What the hell is going on???

Somehow I got it down in one piece and I start looking for the problem. Imagine my surprise when I realise that the aileron trim is working backwards! I'd never seen a radio do that before! So when I think I'm putting in right aileron trim, its actually left!

What caused it? Well remember, I use FrSky Taranis and OpenTx. In OpenTx there are always many ways of achieving a particular result. On this model the ailerons needed to be reversed and there are several places in the programming where you could do this - the "correct place" being on the Outputs tab. But being a smart alec and in a hurry I did it by making the aileron input weighting -100% instead of +100%. Now, fine this does indeed reverse the input, and so the direction the control surfcae moves in reverses as well. So great yeah? No, one problem, it doesn't reverse the trim - only the control!

Now OK, I know you are not using reverse and you are not using OpenTx, but who knows, maybe there is a clue here into what has gone wrong for you. I offer it simply hoping it might just help get you thinking along some lines that lead to a solution.

BEB

Posted by Percy Verance on 21/06/2018 16:23:23:

It's a programming option that is specifically included for those whom may take the occasional funny turn BEB.........or perhaps those whom are unsure whether they're coming or going?

Not quite the same thing, but I remember on my old Mpx 4000 you could assign the trims as actual additional channels. Maybe a bit odd, but could perhaps be used for functional trim tabs on a 100% scale job?

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/06/2018 16:27:21

You can do the same on the Profi and Royal/Sx too, useful with a gyro system that accepts trim signals on separate channels.

Sorry windymiller I don't want to hijack the thread but as this is similar? to my problem and BeB seems to know his Taranis I hope you don't mind.

im new to the x9d plus and all was going well...…..I took the case apart to change to hall sensor Gimbals and now when I switch on Switches E and G are Backwards? ie all switches point backwards on start up but the on screen arrows indicates these two point forward?

Beb or anyone familiar with x9dplus Please Help

Edited By dave parnham on 21/06/2018 19:01:53

Thanks for the advice thus far.

Just found the issue. Pressing Sys on the jog dial displayed the transmission protocol ie fasst-mult and not the SYS menu. It was acting the same as pressing the rtn button.

After playing more with the rotary jog switch, the sys button started working properly (dirty or dodgy sensor??)

Now i could get in to this long forgotten menu. i could see rudder was set to reverse in the "H/W set". putting this to normal and reversing it inthe linkage menu sorted it. Obviously i must have done this when i first got the radio as it was "model 1" that had the problem!.

Sys isnt something i normally need to go into and i hadnt missed it at all!

Despite having a degree in computing electronics this tranny still has the power to purplex me.

Posted by dave parnham on 21/06/2018 19:01:32:

Sorry windymiller I don't want to hijack the thread but as this is similar? to my problem and BeB seems to know his Taranis I hope you don't mind.

im new to the x9d plus and all was going well...…..I took the case apart to change to hall sensor Gimbals and now when I switch on Switches E and G are Backwards? ie all switches point backwards on start up but the on screen arrows indicates these two point forward?

Beb or anyone familiar with x9dplus Please Help

Edited By dave parnham on 21/06/2018 19:01:53

Since switches E and G are mounted on the seam between the back and front of the case, when you took it apart to install your new gimbals they probably fell out, and you put them back wrong way round. So just turn them round 180 degrees.

All this tells me that a simple Tx with few options and no hidden options would be worth paying MORE money for than a complex Tx which can do something unexpected. The model could have crashed because of this problem! Probably saved in this instance by rigorous checking on the ground and an astute modeller.

The moral is don't play around with the Tx and don't take the back off.......

It will only crash a) if you can't fly your choice of model, or b) if you don't check the effect of any changes before launching your model into the big blue yonder. It's not a requirement that you need to play with everything on a computer radio, but it is educational - subject to clause b) above!

Ok thanks I too thought it would be that easy.....but.

So Model 2 on switch on with all switches in the down position all okay

But on Model 1 all switches down and it still reports E and G backwards on screen.

So there must be a companion fix there somewhere?

Yes I have turned them round as suggested.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

companion I haven't got to grips with at all yet to be honest, not sure where to start, have been trying not to rely on my brother for help, and was doing ok.

I setup my seagull 3d funfly as Model 1 and test flew the Tx on it and only a few issues popped up like the Throttle trim was backwards to the Throttle....I know where I went wrong on that one. Also the engine wasn't set up perfectly so broke a prop on landing, good job too really because i had put in far too much rate throws.

Model Two is my new Grand Tundra and all is okay with this one its just been too windy to test fly it.

Edited By dave parnham on 22/06/2018 14:33:54