aileron servos,y lead or dual channel?

SONNY MONKS

Thanks frank,ive changed it to seperate on my frsky X6R,i was quite surprised when i plugged the second servo into channel 5,and it was already operational,i thought you had to mix it,from channel 1 of course,certainly made my job easier,i thought it would be a right job,with it been frsky,as im still getting to grips with it.

Posted by Dave Hess on 15/11/2018 11:08:25:

I had an interesting situation the other day. The BEC on the cheap ESC wouldn't work with two servos on one channel, noteven 3.7g ones, but it was fine running two 9gservos at the same time on separate channels. Naturally, I changed itfor one that could manage it.

When you say the BEC wouldn't work do you mean the servos wouldn't operate. One "feature" of modern 2.4 systems is that the position voltage/current is quite low and if the servo requires a strong position signal and they don't like sharing it on a Y Lead. Note this is not the power to run the servo motor but the signal which tells the servo where to go, this signal comes out of the decoder chip in the receiver and is very low power so wouldn't cause any issues with the power feed to the Rx. Although we did have an issue one time with a servo that worked fine on a Rx battery but overloaded the ESC BEC, in this instance it was a faulty servo that was overloading the BEC.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 15/11/2018 16:10:52:

When you say the BEC wouldn't work do you mean the servos wouldn't operate. One "feature" of modern 2.4 systems is that the position voltage/current is quite low and if the servo requires a strong position signal and they don't like sharing it on a Y Lead. Note this is not the power to run the servo motor but the signal which tells the servo where to go, this signal comes out of the decoder chip in the receiver and is very low power so wouldn't cause any issues with the power feed to the Rx. Although we did have an issue one time with a servo that worked fine on a Rx battery but overloaded the ESC BEC, in this instance it was a faulty servo that was overloading the BEC.

Interesting. What happened was that everything was OK when i switched on, then I started wiggling the sticks to test all the servos. Everything was OK for about 6 seconds, then the ailerons went nuts and ended up stuck with the arms gone past 90 deg movement. Once that started, the elevator and rudder were no longer controllable. I tried two pairs of servos, which both behaved the same, so i swapped the ESC for a better one and everything was OK. I had a similar experience before, when I knackered a good quality ESC by connecting it the wrong way for a short time. Fearing I had done it again, at first ,I tried a second ESC that was the same type as the first, but the servos behaved the same.

What do you think? it's one of those £4.50 Orange DSMX receivers.

I gotta watch you guys!

For the record, I found on Hobbyking:

The cheapest Orange [410] with DSMX and actual servo plugs is £9, 6 channel version is nearly £10.

A CPPM plug version is £5.50, but that's intended for quads I think.

The older DSM2 only 6 channel receiver is £4.70, maybe Dave means that one. But that isn't DSMX.