I Charger + blue smoke = bin

Having just switched on my newish I Charger unit I saw a larg-ish puff of blue smoke coming out of the input lead area. Enquiries with an R\C electronics repairer reveal that it might not economically viable to repair ie spares will be difficult to source outside of China, ..............so it probably means a new charger. Ive only just taken to electrics and have a Sebart Sukhoi 50e size requiring 2 x 4000mah 6S's to be charged twice a week-ish so can anyone reccommend a decent sub £150 - £100 charger to do that job please?

Many thanks Bob

Advert

Even the highest quality equipment can fail. I've been using an iCharger 308 duo for several years with no problems and I think there are several users on here. I bought mine from Nexus who seem to be a reliable supplier of model related goods. If yours is, as you say, newish, then the first step is to contact the supplier. iChargers are not cheap (mine was £200) and are considered to be amongst the best on the market.

My other charger is a Graupner 16 which has also seen regular trouble free service for 7 or 8 years.

Sadly, repair is difficult for a lot of modern electronic equipment because of a combination of no service data and no spare parts but, on the other hand, it's more reliable in general. Going back to my teenage repairing days, the main trouble was failed thermionic valves

Geoff

"requiring 2 x 4000mah 6S's to be charged twice a week-ish"

How quick do you want them charged?

In the £100 region -

I'm using a Hobbyking Reaktor 300W, it will charge at 13A into a 6S lipo, £56. DC only, so it needs an external power brick. There is a matching Reaktor 350W power supply, £47.

I've been using them the past year without any problems on my 4 cell lipos - usually 4-6 x 4S2200 in parallel, or 3 or 4 x 4S5000 also in parallel.

What about this it will charge 4 lipos at the same time 4 x 100watt output, mains powered,  £144.00p Link to web site. Link

G.T. Power X4 Pro Quad
4x 100W Output (Dual Input), Fully Featured Digital Intelligent Multifunctional Balancing Charger/Discharger/Cycler
LiPo, Li-lo, Li-Fe (A123M1), Li-HV
Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Pb (Lead Acid)

Edited By Keith Sharples on 30/01/2019 18:34:14

I bought the GT Power X4 Pro Quod last week. Very good bit of kit, quick and easy to start using, and brilliant to handle four 4s 4250 LiPos in one go. Good value as supplied with built-in mains power, but also has a port on the back for 11-18v DC supply. All the leads and balancing boards supplied, plus a bundle of usual adaptors - although note that two of the leads have Deans connectors and the other two have XT60 connectors, so you'll need to solder whichever connector of your choice to the other two leads or, if you prefer XT90, bullets, etc, to all four. (I've got lots of Deans on lower-voltage LiPos, so I'm going to make up a second set of four leads for XT90 for the big 'uns.)

As you cycle between the four outputs on the screen, you can select different battery types, voltages, charge-rates, etc for each output.

It'll do a 'storage charge' (back up, or down) to a pre-determined level for each battery type, which you can't change: i.e. if you want to store your LiPos at say 3.85v per cell rather than 3.75 then you can't. (One dodge is to got to 3.75 then charge as normal but only for 5-10mins, or whatever you find out by experimenting with a timer.) The other thing that I found limiting is that the actual discharge rate is (i) limited to a max of 1.0C, but (ii) depending on what battery you're actually discharging, this could be a lot lower (displayed on screen); see Page 11 of the Manual for an illustration. According to George all chargers have this limitation.

Hope this helps.

Edited By Jonathan M on 30/01/2019 19:29:59

My i charger 108 also smoked. Twice. The first time I think that the croc clip from the leisure battery slipped off whilst charging a 6s lipo. A genius club mate replaced several i.c. chips and it worked again for years.

Sadly due to a dodgy plug whilst charging a nimh (my fault) the output shorted; the charger made an agonised scream and a LOT of smoke came out.

What alarmed me after the first less obvious failure was that it tried to unbalance the lipo. This could have been dangerous.

I now use an Revolectrix PL6 ? which is absolutely the bees knees.

Edited By Charles Smitheman on 01/02/2019 15:27:35

Posted by FlyinBrian on 01/02/2019 16:28:40:

The multi output chargers are good until they fail! then you have no chargers at all.

After my quad output jobbie quit on me I bought two Hobbyking 200W units for about half the price of a four output charger. - If one fails I still have a charger

I bought a Reaktor Quadkore from Hobbyking in their January sale as I wanted a multi-charger. The only thing that bothered me when I clicked 'buy', was the thought that a single failure could render the whole thing u/s. So far so good! What bothered me when it arrived was that it was plastered with stickers and dire warnings not to switch it 'on' with a LiPo connected kulou. I suspect this might release the 'magic blue smoke' from the machine but so far I have resisted and all is well angel. You would think that they could fit the thing with a circuit breaker or fuse to mitigate one having a 'senior moment' but then maybe they would sell less chargers that way!