Wot wing for wots wot....

Maurice Dyer

Advert

You modify the wing yourself to make the swept wing. If you build it out of the box, you'll get the straight wing...

Not sure if there is an advantage, maybe at higher speeds and the would allow a heavier engine to be used on the swept wing, as it would move the cofg back a little.

I bought one of each professionally built, second hand and unflown - I retained the straight wing version and my mate bought the swept wing. We both equipped our models with 50 size two strokes and there is no really discernible difference in performance. Both models are very fast and highly aerobatic.

I have a Wot 5 mk 3 kit I bought from Chris Foss just over a year ago and put a laser 80 in it . When I bought that Chris provided with either an option of the traditional old Wot with the straight wing or mk 3 like mine where the rear is a bit swept. The wings are foam core veneered and they come as either the straight version or tapered. I put Chris’s air brake design on too. It’s a hoot to fly and totally all condition plane . I believe the tapered version has a slightly faster roll rate and of course a bit higher wing loading . It’s very aerobatic for a high wing plane 😊5c2a6c00-c8ed-4833-abf9-3d5e275df4bd.jpeg

Edited By Tim Flyer on 03/03/2019 19:09:50

Edited By Tim Flyer on 03/03/2019 19:13:08

Mine with its Laser 80 is still going very strong! It flys in the worst of conditions has enormous vertical performance and the air brakes work very well to slow it down for landings. (They extend above and below the wing when deployed) . The design is in the kit plans. I have a servo on each so it’s a four servo wing. It’s very different from the standard WOT 4, but great fun. It’s the main plane I have been taking to the field this winter. It’s quick to set up and transport , the higher wing is a bit further away from the mud and as it’s glass covered and painted is very strong. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 03/03/2019 20:32:35

Edited By Tim Flyer on 03/03/2019 20:33:49

I have an electric Wots Wot with an AUW of 3.325kg and has a very wide flight envelope from quite slow to whistling in big loops.

IMHO only one issue is the screw for the battery tray (as mine fell out, very simple mod to fix).

I can leave mine assembled so its fit battery and fly.

Very tempted to put my Laser 80 in it (should be in a different model if I ever get around to building it!), but I have a Acrowot Laser 70 to get my IC fix wink

20170417_144024_1492535997091.jpg

Posted by Percy Verance on 03/03/2019 18:42:15:

Er, Paul, if you move the C of G rearward, I think you might need a lighter engine, or weight at the back end.

No, I am right, by the swept wing, the cofg will move rearward, so you need more weight on the front end to balance.

You measure cofg at the fuselage, not the wing; Think about it...

Er, Paul, if you move the C of G rearward, I think you might need a lighter engine, or weight at the back end.

No, I am right, by the swept wing, the cofg will move rearward, so you need more weight on the front end to balance.

'Fraid you're wrong Paul. Percy is quite correct,if the model c/g is further rearward,it will require a lighter engine,or weight adding at the tail...…………...Mal

There is a lot of criticism for the ARTF Wots for the covering and cheap hardware. The ARTF is very cheap and quick to assemble and very good value. A covering iron and putting in replacement hardware (clevises etc ) sorts it out . The rods are also often poorly threaded but a bit of epoxy sorts that.

The kit build obviously takes longer but gives plenty of customisation options. Wots go well with engines anywhere in the recommended ranges . I actually prefer the look of the tapered wings on the Wot4 Mk 3 Kit that’s why I chose that version. . If you build any of the Wots light the smallest engines will still make a very good flier. At the big end of the ranges extra reinforcement is very wise! They are great planes for typical UK Club conditions when the weather is far from ideal. I’m currently putting together an Acrowot ARTF for my laser 70 . It seems I have the complete Wot set !

Edited By Tim Flyer on 05/03/2019 11:02:37

Posted by Paul Marsh on 04/03/2019 18:39:42:

I agree with Percy, with the swept back wing the c of g needs to be further back, so you will need to adjust the balance to achieve that. The wing sweep doesn't move the c of g back far enough to require a heavier engine, it's the opposite.

BTW my ARTF has got the swept wings and has a Thunder Tigre 75 fs and balances without any additional nose or tail weight, battery is just behind the fuel tank. Flies lovely, I would think it all comes down to which one you think looks nicer.

The engine choice (weight) dictates swept wing or not. From the instructions if an engine weighing 20 to 28 ounces is chosen then the wings should be straight, if an engine under 20 ounces is chosen then the wings should be swept and the designed CG moved 1" rearwards.

Also from the instructions a heavy engine can be used with straight wings and tail weight.

Garry you are Wrong! The Wot 4 kit is either available as “Mark 3 with 56 inch tapered d6b2b14e-20eb-4dbf-8d5d-498d03a0ca62.jpegwing for aerobatics and amazing Manoeuverability” or the “Classic version with 52 inch lower aspect ratio parallel cord wing for exceptional manoeuverability and slow flying ability”.

I discussed My choice on the phone with Chris Foss personally and he said the laser 80 engine would be fine in the mark three tapered wing version. Chris Foss does know about the his own planes that he himself designs I am sure! The wing choice is not dictated by engine choice. Box photo below for physical proof . In any case my 80 powered version flies fine and at no stage have I wanted the classic wing

Posted by Tim Flyer on 05/03/2019 19:19:15:

Garry you are Wrong! The Wot 4 kit is either available as “Mark 3 with 56 inch tapered d6b2b14e-20eb-4dbf-8d5d-498d03a0ca62.jpegwing for aerobatics and amazing Manoeuverability” or the “Classic version with 52 inch lower aspect ratio parallel cord wing for exceptional manoeuverability and slow flying ability”.

I discussed My choice on the phone with Chris Foss personally and he said the laser 80 engine would be fine in the mark three tapered wing version. Chris Foss does know about the his own planes that he himself designs I am sure! The wing choice is not dictated by engine choice. Box photo below for physical proof . In any case my 80 powered version flies fine and at no stage have I wanted the classic wing

If I am wrong then so is Chris Foss.

This thread is about the Wots Wot biplane, not the various monoplane Wots.

Posted by Ikura on 05/03/2019 20:34:40:
Posted by Gary Binnie on 05/03/2019 20:19:42:

This thread is about the Wots Wot biplane, not the various monoplane Wots.

That's what I thought and I would be very pleased to read any comments on the Wots Wot ARTF biplane. I am about to order one with the electric pack so any mods or things worth doing will be very welcome.

It is a lot of biplane for the money and although I have never really wanted to make the move to 5S LiPo's I think I will have to with this one.

Why go half-way? Just stick a 6S pack in it, anything up to 4500mAh. 500kv or thereabouts motor, prop for just under 50A and enjoy.