Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg

jeff2wings

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 07/03/2019 14:54:00:

Micromold....I've got a Spit 24 in primer to be a PSS model. It was/is quite a "woody" kit especially in the fuselage but I suppose that helps with longevity!

I've also got a Micromold P-51B that's done mucho flying with an old OS MAX 25.

They were good kits.

Hi Alan, I've had a Micromold kit for the P51B for many years. I foolishly lent the plan to it to a friend,who somehow lost it. I finally obtained a copy of the plan,since when it has sat in its box.I keep getting tempted to build it,it looks a fine model.I have a couple of suitable engines for it,an SC 25,or an OS25 FSR.Should be able to find some suitable retracts for it as well,got a couple of swap-meets coming up in the next few weeks...……….Mal

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 07/03/2019 12:59:03:

A club mate has a Veron Avro504N and has been flying it electrically powered recently. I use the term 'flying' very vaguely because it's bitch in the air. He's tried it both with and without ailerons and changed the CoG with little success. It really seems to have a mind of its own and even the ace pilot in our club who can fly just about anything finds it very difficult (though it looks fine when he's in control).

Years ago, I test flew a Flair Legionnaire that a mate had bought from a club action and it was truly awful with an almost total disregard for control input, especially in the roll axis !. Despite looking fine from an 'eyeball inspection' the incidence gauge told another story. Can't remember the exact details but it was way out with twists and warps that were only slight, but were enough to spoil an otherwise good model. I've not actually seen a completed Veron 504 in the flesh, but suspect that it's perhaps a bit flimsy in construction, and prone to inaccuracies creeping in, despite even the best efforts of a careful builder. Maybe even warps developing in a good airframe because of storage problems?

Full size early aircraft like the 504 need the attention of a aircraft rigger to keep them true,a skilled job.

Another long gone model producer, "Rojair"   I still have the wing from their Cadet 62 trainer giving service on a HI boy fuzz as an engine test bed.

Edited By J D 8 on 08/03/2019 11:36:00

I still have a very soft spot for the Trueline Custom Executive. This was the model that got my father and myself into rc flying. My father got the kit and I watched him build it and start learning to fly - and then was lucky that he funded a second one for me. Sadly mine met an early end in its life because of an engine failure (Merco 35 power).

There were a few 'local' model shop successful model kits - probably most famous being Avicraft's Panic. In Sussex my then local model shop St Leonards Models produced the Alpha which was a trainer.

Oh yes and other notable Sussex home grown models included Phil Ramsey who had his range too, namely the Mini Pitt Special (which was a lovely model to fly), the Gladiator which I always wanted, and of course not forgetting Chris Foss and his range of kits and plans. I also had a Brian Diss Designs (later sold through Phil Ramsey IIRC) Vector, a 40 powered low wing aerobatic model with glassfibre fuselage and foam wings which I enjoyed flying for several years.

Finally not forgetting up here in Essex Balsa Cabin's range of models they produced especially thermal soarers such as the Sonata (and electric powered version which introduced many to electric gliders) and Ravello (which I still have) and is a wonderful glider.

I still have a Trueline Custom Executive kit that I bought in a fit of nostalgia as it was my first really aerobatic multi propo model , but that was bought before I decided it was time to give up on glow motors.

I liked the Rojair kits, the ones that I remember were a Sea Fury, P51 and a Zlin. There was another UK concern that did a range of .40 size warbirds using veneered foam of which I had the Typhoon but Ican't for thelife of me remember the name of the manufacturer. I came across them in Studley Models, anoither long gone shop.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 08/03/2019 13:46:56

Ah some wonderful nostalgia here.

I was pleased to see the ad for the Olympic Sportsman, I had one early in my RC life, fine looking model and flew well.

Did someone resurect them for a time, (Bowmans?) a few years ago I visited Anglia Model centre on the day they moved and they had a list of kits for sale, on that list was the Olympic Sportsman. I was well disapointed when they told me the last one had gone, and apart from a couple of Bowman kits that I bought the rest of the stuff was ridiculously expensive CAP kits.

Someone on this thread mentioned the poor quality hardware on Eastern ARTF kits, well when we remove the rose tinted nostalgia specs we can recall that most of the hardware in those kits of yesteryear had pretty rubbish hardware in them. Some totally unsuited and would not fit

Anyway great thread, must make many ancient modellers very happy guys to see those old ads.

Posted by ken anderson. on 08/03/2019 09:50:03:

the skyways hawk was a wonderful model/flyer...… bring them back ASAP..

ken anderson...ne...1..hawk dept.

Ken

I think you can still get them. A number of the old Unique/Skyways kits plan packs have been ressurected by Masons Models. Their web site showed the Hawk 70 a few days ago but I cannot access the web site at the moment

Check it out or ring Steve Mason at Masons Models who is based in Spalding, you could get lucky

Anglia Model Centre manufactured Bowmans and CAP kits until a few years ago.

Re poor hardware, there are exceptions to every rule of course, but many of my old British kits are still flying on the original hardware supplied in the kits.

Original SLEC stuff and Micromold made their stuff in-house and it was built to last. I liked the hardware that came in my old DB kits too. No rose tinted specs here, I've had some true rubbish in the 3 or 4 ARTFs I've assembled.

Powerplanes International used to produce nice stuff. Their 'top of shop was a quarter scale Piper PA20, a lovely kit, nice flier. One intact kit came up on E Bay a while ago, the seller did warn it was on sale elsewhere, but stupid here held off, hoping to steal it, and it just disappeared. Fool that I am.

Edited By Don Fry on 08/03/2019 17:07:29

Posted by gangster on 08/03/2019 16:39:11:
Posted by ken anderson. on 08/03/2019 09:50:03:

the skyways hawk was a wonderful model/flyer...… bring them back ASAP..

ken anderson...ne...1..hawk dept.

Ken

I think you can still get them. A number of the old Unique/Skyways kits plan packs have been ressurected by Masons Models. Their web site showed the Hawk 70 a few days ago but I cannot access the web site at the moment

that will be good if you can get the hawk still....me-i'd be looking for board and lodgings if I acquire any more new toys....

ken anderson...ne..1...board and lodgings dept.

Check it out or ring Steve Mason at Masons Models who is based in Spalding, you could get lucky