looking for advice on water based Silver paint

JulianJ

Dear all,

I'm building a foam model & would like to paint it silver to give it an 'aluminium' look.

Could anyone recommend a suitable paint, preferably applicable by brush & water based?

Has anyone tried 'rust-oleum metallic from B&Q?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards

Julian

Advert

Hi JulianJ what type of foam is it ? If it's styrofoam foam then water based car base coat is ideal and gives a great finish on any type of foam. It doesnt brush very well and needs to be sprayed for best results. Finish off with a coat of ronseal water based varnish sprayed on . If it's Elapor or EPP type foam then solvent based car base coat is excellent , but do test a small scrap first. It can be bought in aerosols from any car paint supplier. Yes you will need to use an aerosol or some spray equipment . The water based brushing varieties I've used like artist acrylic are not that good IMO . Humbrol silver brushes well on smaller areas and dries to a bright silver and s pretty durable but not sure about use on large surfaces.

Be careful if you brush paint on as it's very easy to add weight to get a good covering/ finish and paint is heavy.

As ED says, weight is your enemy

I completely ruined the flying characteristics of a brand new model with paint, and it was sprayed on

When I respray again, I intend to mist the colour on, and test fly, one coat at a time.

Lads successfully respray and brush foam all the time, but the heavyweight I produced, was my first respray on foam

Edited By Denis Watkins on 02/05/2019 09:53:25

As Dennis and Alan point out weight soon builds up even if sprayed and some paints are heavier than others . Try to source some paint that has good coverage as different paints vary considerably and some modern paints are abysmally see through . Silver should cover quite well if over a light colour . If sprayed a light even coat will look better than a thin brushed coat. Good luck.

Thank you all for your replies,

The finished model should have around 80w per pound power to weight ratio so the weight of the paint is not ultra critical.

I do however appreciate the advice, a pot of paint feels quite heavy in aero-modelling terms when you pick it up! I will go easy on the coats!

Posted by JulianJ on 02/05/2019 09:10:36:

Has anyone tried 'rust-oleum metallic from B&Q?

Julian

I've used those fluorescent green and yellow. Three thin scrubbed on coats with a brush could have got away with two coats, brush cleaned off with water. Dries very quick but spreads on nice so no brush marks, not sure about the metallic though.

Edited By trebor on 03/05/2019 06:44:23

Ypou might be interested in Humbrol Metalcote enamels. These are metalic and cover well. The best bit is that once they have dried you polish them with a cloth and they come up like bare metal.

I used the steel on torpedos on my PT boat. The paint dried very quickly, covered well and a quick rub over with an ordinary cloth made them look just like steel. The also do bare aluminium.