IT help required please

fly boy3

Hi all, my friend inserted his camera card into his lap top and nothing at all showed up. We put it into another laptop and all pics showed up. We were informed it could be a graphics card, or graphics driver. Is it possible to determine which one of these it is. Thanks

Advert

Unlikely to be a graphics problem. More likely that the computer didn't recognise the camera when plugged into the (*I assume) USB port. Could be a faulty port.

Assuming its Windows, Plug the Camera back in, check File explorer and you should see (probably) a F: drive - could be a different letter if F is already being used). Expand the F drive and check that you can see the files or if you get a warning about formatting. Don't format it!

If the filenames are present, then it could possibly be a graphics driver but I suspect that the problem will have manifested itself by now.

If you cant see the F drive when the camera is plugged in, Have a look at Computer Properties > device Manager and see if there are any USB errors showing. Check USB Controllers and Other devices for a clue

Martyn

He has Glyn44. The pics showed up on a friend's computer.

Fly Boy3, when the card is inserted, try going to "My Computer" and see if the card is recognised there, then go into into its folder if it is. It may be that auto-open is not working or set up to work.

Otherwise, if the card slot itself may not be working try inserting in into a separate card reader that attaches to a usb slot on the laptop instead of the card slot you tried.

Posted by fly boy3 on 14/05/2019 16:30:24:

Hi all, my friend inserted his camera card into his lap top and nothing at all showed up. We put it into another laptop and all pics showed up. We were informed it could be a graphics card, or graphics driver. Is it possible to determine which one of these it is. Thanks

Put the SD card back into the laptop that can see the pics FB

If the photos are in a folder, then right click the folder

If the photos are in rows around the screen, then wipe them all to select them, in a blue cast?

Now, right click the folder or selected rows

A menu drops down and at the bottom, select properties

Release on properties and another menu box opens

At the bottom are tick boxes for read only and write only

Tick in each, Then Untick each, leaving the boxes blank

Press APPLY then OK

The photos should be seen on the SD card now on computers

Whoa, thanks for prompt replies. The faulty laptop is a Acer on Windows 7, the laptop that showed all the pics. is a Toshiba on Windows 10. Two slots on the Acer were tried but failed. As suggested we opened "my computer" but it failed to recognise the card, and no F drive showed up. Thanks

It sounds stupid, but have you tried blowing in the slot? If they get dusty they wont pick up the memory card when its inserted. I have 4 laptops (dont ask) and the 3 without a dummy card to blank the slot often need a bit of a blow to get the slot working again.

Its absolutely not the graphics card. Most likely the laptop runs on intel integrated graphics and even if its got a dedicated GPU the basic windows drivers will be good enough to show pictures.

Posted by Wingman on 15/05/2019 09:43:03:

You could try powering down the laptop that doesn't show the photos plugging the SD card into the slot and then powering the laptop back up - might kick in missing drivers.

This may prevent the system starting as the BIOS might try booting from the card. My girlfriends desktop refuses to boot with an SD card installed.

The SD card could be formatted in a format that your old laptop doesn't recognise.

If you just want to get the photos onto the old laptop, try first COPYING the photos to the new laptop, then reformat the card using FAT32, then COPY the photos back to the card again and try it in the old laptop. Note that your photos will be safe as you copied them to the new laptop.

Are the slots on the Acer in good condition physically? My parents have managed to break USB slots on their laptop by shoving in the mouse plug upside down... possibly something similar has happened to the Acer.

Assuming no damage, the only useful suggestion I have at this point, get a helpful local person to reinstall the card slot drivers.

Posted by Nigel R on 15/05/2019 15:53:59:

Assuming no damage, the only useful suggestion I have at this point, get a helpful local person to reinstall the card slot drivers.

Not a bad shout. If you know the model number the acer website should have drivers available. Windows device manager will let you know if there is hardware with a problem

IMO Peter & Gary have probably nailed the problem. It's also easy to check on the Win10 laptop.
With the card inserted find it in File Explorer > right click on Removable Disk > left click on Properties & look at File System.
If the file system is either NTFS or exFAT do as Gary advised.