In The Newsagents ...

Capt Kremen

As like most that frequent this forum, I'm a 'mature cheddar', somewhat less nimble and thus able to contort the body as once when a gymnastic youth.

So is it just me but why is 'our' magazine almost always tucked away, on the floor level, buried under shelves, often hidden behind copious railway magazines. (By the way, I have nothing against railway fans). This is especially true of the well known high street newsagent and general 'cluttered' layout shop, I'm sure your town/city has a branch. On Saturday, I was literally on hands and knees hunting down the aviation magazines, I eventually found them but my back didn't appreciate the search! Do they want to sell (our) magazines???

Advert

Mmm ... yes ... but I did say our magazineS ... plural i.e. 'Aeroplane Monthly', 'Aviation', 'Popular Flying', 'Aeromodeller', 'Scale Models', 'Flight' etc. etc. etc.

Most, if not all magazines cost circa £4-£5 these days, as a pensioner can't afford subs to all those and may only need to glance the odd news item anyway.

Ah yes..............We did assume RCM&E........

I agree, I had to pick one Cycling mag to read as there are lots out there.

I narrowed things down to this one for models and cycling plus for bikes.

We need to start the campaign for higher and easily accessible publications. CHEAP. laughcheekydevil

D.D.

Luckily I don't have a back problem but I do get my mag reserved at a local non chain newsagent.

The reason is those irritating, mostly over 60, men who stand in the front of shelves shamelessly reading the magazines completely blocking any sight of or access to your favourites.

I think this famously cluttered and outdated big high street retailer should have either a "No Reading" boundary line or a holding pen signed " Please Stand Here if You Just Want to Read and Not Buy. We Are Not a Library".

🙌

Guilty as charged..............I'll very quickly flick through a few motor cycle mags in Sainsbury's.

Magazines used to be an impulse purchase when the cover prices were much lower than now, but at £5-£6 for many of them, I only take RCM&E on subscription, Flypast now and again and a motorcycle mag if there's a review that takes my interest.

I get mine direct by mail. This month I had to buy an extra copy this month. Again,it was down on the bottom shelf. I ended up on my knees with a fiendish attack of cramp in my legs. At over 80 this is not fun.

Next time I will simply say to one of the staff "You put them there! You get it out!"

On the subject of prices. When some of our youngsters (In their 50s!) talk about prices I tell them that one could buy an ED.2.46 Racer which was a really good engine for under £5 when I started.  It makes them think!

But then Aeromodeller was 1/6d (7 1/2p)

Edited By Peter Miller on 22/05/2019 08:31:48

For some insane reason (after a shelf reorganisation) our local supermarket puts the RCME as fa away as possible from the aviation and other modelling mags. It now resides with the Farming and Countryside mags. At least I don't have to stoop down to get my copy.smiley As for price the mag is reasonable compared to the craft mags the boss buys.

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 21/05/2019 23:18:01:

Ah yes..............We did assume RCM&E........

I agree, I had to pick one Cycling mag to read as there are lots out there.

I narrowed things down to this one for models and cycling plus for bikes.

We need to start the campaign for higher and easily accessible publications. CHEAP. laughcheekydevil

D.D.

You just need the editor to go back to the less-PC cover style of the 70-80s and it will soon be top shelf material

I can understand the liking for a hard copy of the magazine. I love reading but I hate kindles. The feeling of the pages in the hand and the weight of the book makes all the difference.

The trouble today is that people seem to think that a screen is the ultimate way to live.

The other day I was leaving the house.I live on the village dog walk, a lovely lane with views across miles of open countryside.

This woman was walking down the road towards me. she had her dog on the lead.

She glanced up once and then carried on straight towards me never looking up again. I have seen the same with parents with children.

It seems that if it isn't on a screen it isn't worth looking at.