Drone harassment

There are clear laws specifying minimum distance from people, vehicles, vessels and structures when using surveillance equipped drones. These can be enforced by the police and they can take action against any offenders.

In what way are the laws in favour of drone pilots...remembering that as far as legislation is concerned, we're all drone pilots?

Posted by Steve J on 06/06/2019 06:32:07:
Posted by Adrian Norris 1 on 05/06/2019 23:52:07:

There really needs to be some sort legal protection for the general public and private property.

Funny that you should say that. The EU and UK government are currently changing the law to bring in mandatory training and remote identification in order to protect the public.

Steve

That's for future and not now!

As someone who suffers from this on a semi-regular basis, I've usually found that informing the pilot of how many parts of the ANO he is breaking usually results in a rapid retreat!

I'm fortunate enough to live close to a holiday beach, with a steam railway passing nearby. Every time a special train is running, we get a lot of train-spotters arriving. I don't mind them at all, indeed I often let them stand on the (very substantial) roof of my garage to get a better shot.

The last couple of years though, we've had a plague of drone photographers. They park (illegally) at the roadside, take-off from the pavement, over-flying a busy road to the beach, and flying over houses to get a picture of the train. All these activities occur well within the 50M rule.

When approached, the usual response is "I've done the course and got a license", to which I respond that in that case, they should know about the 50M rule, and that if they don't scarper, my next call will be to the police.

This has proven very effective, so far!

From my experiences, I suspect that a lot of these people actually have taken the courses, but expect to get away with it because of the general public's ignorance of the law. Once they find out they are dealing with someone who has at least as much knowledge as they do, they vanish very quickly!

--

Pete

when you get an ex police officer who is going to fly his FPV job,and you point out to him that he really has to abide by the various ANO's etc...and he replies "that no one tells him where he can and cant fly"...what can you do...…. I would say...…. Nothing...…

ken anderson...ne...1..naughty policeman dept.

With police numbers so low and them having to prioritise calls ,thanks to our knowledgeable penny pinching government indecision, don't expect any response to calling them if a drone is looking through your windows, flying over houses, roads or wherever they shouldn't be. The new laws that will affect us law abiding flyer's hard won't affect any of the idiots who fly wrecklessly . Only chance of catching them is if they post film on YouTube like a few speeding drivers have done in the past.

Hopefully the CAA won't copy Canada's approach and make model flying on par with full size ,complete with flight and maintainance logs any large fines ! See diet on you tube.

Ps hope this thread doesn't turn into a 100 page rant ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 06/06/2019 10:33:03

Posted by ken anderson. on 06/06/2019 10:18:08:

when you get an ex police officer who is going to fly his FPV job,and you point out to him that he really has to abide by the various ANO's etc...and he replies "that no one tells him where he can and cant fly"...what can you do...…. I would say...…. Nothing...…

ken anderson...ne...1..naughty policeman dept.

Well, you *can* do something. It just depends whether you think its worth the hassle or not. A short video on a mobile phone of him in action, possibly including his car registration, sent to the CAA and police ought to sort him pretty quick.

And if it doesn't, it just confirms what we are all saying about enforcement! indecision

--

Pete

Many years ago - before I got into model planes - I used to have a device for rescuing boats stuck in the boating pond.

It comprised a bamboo (or similar) pole, 4 or 5 ft long, with a length of string on the end. The loose end of the string had a weight on it (usually a large nut). With this, it was possible to cast a surprising distance across a pond and snag an errant boat!

I'm sure a similar device could be used to bring down a drone flying dangerously low! What's more, you'd be able to prove it was within 50M of you!

laugh

--

Pete

Posted by Nigel R on 06/06/2019 17:23:37:

Rumour has it Gatwick and Heathrow have recently bought something a little bit like that...

**LINK**

Edited By Nigel R on 06/06/2019 17:25:54

Not going to work! Most drones have a "return to take-off point" programmed in the event of loss of signal.

Might be helpful to track down the culprits, but you'd need to be very quick off the mark....

--

Pete

The origanal question was about being photographed, I'm not sticking up for idiots but what's the concern about photography, I regularly use a camera and get people I don't know in photos and not one person has ever been bothered. Millions of people have camaras phones and take millions of photos often of strangers but no one complains about that, and before you say there invading your privacy take a look on Google earth where you can look in everyone's garden.

Is it the camaras or is it the multirotor (not calling them drones don't want to sound like the BBC) you are bothered about?