CRRC 26cc - Plane suggestions

GlidingGuy

Hi there,

Having recently come into possession of a CRRC 26cc motor, I’ve been thinking of models to put it in. Having searched the web for a short period of time I’ve come across plenty of interesting 30cc size and 20cc sized models, but I see that 26cc is an awkward size. Seeing as I do not have a lot of experience with Gas engines and model matching for them, I was hoping that I could get some good suggestions for a suitable model from all you knowledgeable people out there.

Thanks a lot,

Luccaaa

Advert

I would expect a 26cc petrol to have a similar power output to a 1.20 glow 4 stroke (20cc). I have a CRRC 26cc in a model although I haven't flown it for some time, fitted with a 17x8 to try to keep the noise down a bit as the silencer doesn't exactly do much silencing, it has been very reliable but is not exactly a powerhouse.

Chris,

Thanks for the info, I'll have a poke around and see if I can find some interesting models for a 120 size 4 stroke. I've got a few different sizes of props around the 17x8 mark and will experiment and see which one gives the best noiseower ratio!

Rich,

The WOT 4 XL is an obvious choice that I hadn't considered! I'll look more into one, I was not necessarily looking for a blown up trainer, but we all know how versatile the WOT 4 can be. If it had enough grunt I could imagine it becoming a nice tow plane. Thanks.

Anthony,

I've always liked the idea of a space walker, and with Seagull's usual quality I'm sure it'd be brilliant. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris,

That most certainly is interesting! Always liked the idea of a Pilatus PC6, I'm sure it'd be quite versatile. I'll have to look further into that.

Paul,

That Yak looks fantastic, what is the power like with the CRRC? As Chris said earlier they aren't considered to be too powerful I hear.

Posted by Luccaaa on 09/06/2019 15:18:46:

That Yak looks fantastic, what is the power like with the CRRC? As Chris said earlier they aren't considered to be too powerful I hear.

Don't underestimate the power of your motor Luccaaa

It is half the size of a moped motor, that can propel its 168lb rider along at 40mph

With a matched prop, your motor will do nicely

Denis,

I'm always weary that some of my models turn out a little overweight wink however your point is well taken. I don't have much experience in the Gas sector so I don't have such a good gauge of power for these types of motors compared to Diesel or Glow. Thanks for the input.

Paul,

That's good to hear, like anyone I assume I enjoy a plane with plenty of power to get me out of sticky situations! That Glassair looks lovely, I'm sure it's lots of fun to fly. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

(Sorry for resurrecting and old thread)

I decided to go with a Wot 4 XL, and I even ordered one only to find it went out of stock on the next day! I've just cancelled the order as the Wot 4 XL is not expected to be in stock anywhere for a while. The shops staff called one of Ripmax's sales representatives and he could not even give a date to when they'd be due!

So, amongst all the other good suggestions was the Seagull Yak 54, I think I will go with that, it looks like a lot of fun! I will hopefully be ordering it later today. Finally I can put this engine in something!

Thanks,

Luccaaa

Luccaaa,

Check out Gary Manuel's lengthy build notes under "The seagull has landed" which i found very helpful with mine, as you'll see if you trawl far enough. Mine is still a work in progress because its intended DLE 20 would not get below 82dB and still pull adequately. The replacement Saito 125 has gone off tune now I've eventually got the cowl on it = can't get at the low needle!

Tips: tank mounting; beware the forward wing bolts, tank may obstruct them; see my notes re Modelfixings hex head bolts and a short extension bar and UJ in the Proxxon set; forget about the alleged hard points for the cowl screws, use ply/hardwood blocks on the front of the firewall but cut the cowl for the silencer and carb first so you don't put them in the wrong place; read the c of g info carefully, c. 135mm backwards of the ROOT le is a consensus and NB Seagull's dimensions are at the TIP.

U/C on mine was very soft and has been replaced with Alpha Composites one piece.

Flies well once airborne! Good luck (with the noise) and keep us posted.

BTC

Choice of model is only part of the equation, with reasonably priced glow motors now becoming increasingly unobtainable with the demise of ASP et al, the petrol option is one that many of the chaps I fly with are looking much more closely at. Not everyone wishes or has the wherewithal to pay the prices of the petrol four strokes that are around (as nice as they are) so something around the 1.20-1.80 glow equivalent and around the £250 or less mark would fit the bill, to say nothing of cleanliness and economy with petrol.

Noise is the big problem with inexpensive 'gas' motors and is still not addressed by the makers of these engines. The add-on silencer article in the current magazine is interesting and one of my flying buddies has ordered a couple of the silencers to see what can be done. Another has modified a DLE 20 silencer with the pot scourer trick and I have to say the engine is well acceptable. and actually has quite a pleasant tone to it.

I have some other ideas that might increase the effectiveness of the noisy standard petrol silencers and will share if anything comes of it.

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/08/2019 11:42:31

Bruce,

Thanks a lot for the advice, I certainly will take a look at that manual and refer to your tips when fitting the model. The U/C problem is interesting, I may look into beefing it up knowing some of the landings this one may face!

Cuban8,

The point about noise has cropped in this thread before. Could you recommend another silencer to use with the CRRC? I'm not sure what size would fit it.

Thanks again,

Luccaaa