Confirmation - The World Really Has Gone Mad......

Former Member

Advert

I just got back from shopping this morning. Coming down my quiet country lane. My car is not particulalry quiet as it iw powerfed by a twin cylinder 600 cc dumper truck engine.

A youngish bloke (about 25) walking down the road with his dog off the lead and his I player plugged into his ears.

I ended up a few feet behind him before he realised I was creeping along him and he made a grab for his dog.

Other people are not so considerate to dog walkers and the vans etc don't slow down at all.

I think I need to fit windtones on my car!!

Back to the original case. Bunch of pedestrians cross the road, including one pre lemming looking at phone. Once crossing they have right of way by the way. Cyclist then goes into a narrow gap behind them, at speed, shouting and sounding an air horn. Assuming the gap would be open by the time he got there. Bear in mind he has not got right of way. The prelemming on phone saw him at the last moment. Panicked, and tried to dodge, but moved the wrong way.

Two idiots on road, with injuries. One idiot gets a 50/50judgement. Bike idiot did not counter sue it seems.

No news here, just the Daily Wail and others trying to wind their followers up.

And yes, an idiot filter to discourage such trash going to courts and wasting our money has some appeal.

Percy did, in a post above, gives a correct and sensible reaction in a similar situation, applied brakes, no collision.

I did actually fit windtones to my last Reliant. They worked really well, sounded like a big truck.

Two classic examples, a lady pulling out of a side road after delivering her brats to school. A gentleman in a big Volve Estate who thought the could back out of a parking space 'cos he wasn't waiting for a Reliant.

They both beat a hurried retreat!!

Posted by Don Fry on 19/06/2019 13:00:23:

Once crossing they have right of way by the way. Cyclist then goes into a narrow gap behind them, at speed, shouting and sounding an air horn. Assuming the gap would be open by the time he got there. Bear in mind he has not got right of way.

Do they have right of way? i cant see that just stepping into traffic gives you a right of way?

I remember when learning to drive that i was told pedestrians walking on a road i have not joined yet (ie, turning right/left into a road and they are already on it) have right of way but i dont think they are allowed to just throw themselves into the road. Cars/bikes joining the road have to give way to cars already on it and that if i was to pull out and force them to slow down or take avoiding action i had infringed on their right of way. It seemed totally logical to me i have to say.

Pedestrians certainly have right of way at crossings which is why we should stop at them.

Seems a lot of fuss about nothing to me. From the description above, the pedestrian took insufficient care and the cyclist acted recklessly. The pedestrian was hit by a reckless cyclist and was therefore entitled to claim and the award was reduced because the pedestrian could have taken better avoiding action if she had been properly aware of her surroundings.

Sadly, both careless pedestrians and reckless cyclists are all too common.

Pedestrians already "established" i.e. Crossing the road have right of way. Common law. And bye the bye, the lemming in question was in a group who had already nearly crossed, not darters into the road.

Anyway, I'm out. As Martin so wisely put it, a fuss about nothing, and I am wasting no more time.

Unfortunately, because of incidents such as this, the cost of making the world idiot proof will, once again, be borne by the tax payer. Germany has already started introducing 'Repeater Lights' at crossings and traffic lights that shine the relevant coloured light on the kerb, in an attempt to attract the attention of the phone zombies. The measure is expected to be rolled out across the entire EU.

For the case under discussion, the report I read stated the Cyclist had passed through a Green light (a rare event on its own) before the collision, so presumably the pedestrian was that intent on her phone she was dawdling along when she should have been concentrating on the task in hand.

"Sadly, both careless pedestrians and reckless cyclists are all too common."

I must drive on different roads to you.

Darwin would make short work of reckless cyclists; vs any other item of traffic the net result isn't in favour of said cyclist's continued enjoyment of earthly delights.

Jury's out on careless pedestrians. My favourite (?) type is mums (and dads, to avoid accusations of sexism) who push a traffic detector into the road (baby in pushchair) before looking to see if said road is clear.

I did say, I'm out, but source for "facts"is the Daily Wail. The writer did its best to shift the truth, but in fairness, did put some facts in, but to quote a famous comedian, but nit necessarily in the right order. Read carefully. Knowledge of the law, used to be my job.

for nit, read not

Edited By Don Fry on 19/06/2019 17:54:26

I know a person who knocked down a youth on a Pelican Crossing whilst the traffic lights were green - the foolish youth simply ran onto the crossing without warning and was hit by my friend's car that thankfully because of traffic , was travelling much lower than 30 mph, just knocking the wind out of him. This was some years ago and my friend was one of the first to have a dash cam that recorded the whole incident. After reviewing the video, the police found there was no case to answer. Might have been a different outcome on one person's word against the other ,or possible unreliable witness statements.

Can work against you of course,  depending on the circumstances. 

Edited By Cuban8 on 19/06/2019 20:25:05

I think to dare to ride a bicycle on UK roads demands a little ‘recklessness’. On my daily rush hour car drive I regularly witness impatient motorists squeezing between cyclists and oncoming traffic at high speed. They rarely give cyclists enough room, The “lemming overtaking manoeuvre “ where one motorist crosses the centre line to overtake an obstacle and a group behind follow close behind whether safe or not, is firmly established. It surprises me so many cyclists are still prepared to risk riding on British roads . Despite all the cyclist deaths and injuries our media still seem to concentrate on the far smaller number of pedestrian injuries from cyclists, rather than the much larger number of cyclists killed or injured by cars .