ASP etc gone

Neil67

Advert

Posted by Nigel R on 26/06/2019 12:23:31:

The Evolution engine range, are they still made? Were they another Sanye like ASP/SC?

Sanye again i believe. As were RCV but i think Westons have been after a new manufacturer for those for a while.

On the no nitro thing, many engines can run better and more reliably on straight as they run slightly hotter which helps keep the glowplug alight. I ran ASP 52 2s engines on straight for a quite a while and they were perfectly happy with it. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 26/06/2019 12:31:27

Getting fuel delivered will probably be the main problem in future.

As for glow plugs I am sure I read that they were, at one time, made by hand by someone in Britain in a small maybe one man business. if the demand exists it shouldn't be a problem -getting the material for them ( is it platinum? ) might be the snag.

Edited By kc on 26/06/2019 13:44:19

Posted by kc on 26/06/2019 13:36:14:As for glow plugs I am sure I read that they were, at one time, made by hand by someone in Britain in a small maybe one man business. if the demand exists it shouldn't be a problem -getting the material for them ( is it platinum? ) might be the snag.

Edited By kc on 26/06/2019 13:44:19

Which raises another interesting point! Most pre-Schnuerle engines (again, SuperTigres, Webra Blackheads, HB, etc) were intended to run on long reach plugs. Whilst they will run on short reach plugs (OS.8, etc) this introduces three potential problems: Firstly, the compression is slightly reduced, secondly the plug element is recessed from the combustion chamber, and finally the exposed threads will slowly gum up with combustion debris, making it difficult to insert the correct plug in future!

Luckily, most 4-st plugs are long reach, and I've found that the ASP 4-st plugs work perfectly in my SuperTigres....

--

Pete

Yes Percy I use a Spektum DX9. I use it wirelessly attached to a DX6i slave when instructing. I only have to remove my finger from a sprung loaded button to regain control. I've never tried just moving any stick. I'll try it next time out.

The thing is that at some stage you have to let the beginner sort out his own mistakes. The demise of the Boomerang occurred when I allowed the beginner too much time to sort himself out, then too late we both became disorientated and the model crashed into the ground.

enya 50 and boomerang.jpg

img_20190623_094236 (1).jpg

Ditto - although entirely my fault. Wing and all gear ok. Had to dig out engine but after a good clean running as before. A simple model but a great hack to throw about on a summer's evening, so can't bin it just yet. Rebuilding front end.

Posted by will -0 on 27/06/2019 10:14:50:

I reckon that should live on shouldn't it?

I decided not to repair it as they're only about 110€ new and I had too many other projects on.

My trainee, although a qualified engineer, seems to have lots of other calls on his time.

Posted by Percy Verance on 26/06/2019 15:57:16:

Peter, where will you get ASP glowplugs now?

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/06/2019 16:25:18

Well, I bought a few as spares when I bought my ASP30 last year - just in the nick of time, it would seem! I also have an OS 20 FS awaiting a model, and somewhere I have an OS Type F plug, which I'm pretty sure is also a long reach type.

Since it seems likely that OS will soon have a monopoly on small engines, hopefully they will be supplying plugs for a while yet.

I am also old enough tor recall that for years, most of the manufacturers of radio gear and engines were predominantly very small companies - barely one step up from a "one-man-band". I'm sure someone will step forward when the time comes.

--

Pete

Not so sure about that, Nigel! All the "small" 2st engines (10, 15, 25) are showing as "discontinued" on Just Engines website - though strangely, they still show on OS's website! The smallest engine currently available is a 46, but at an outrageous price! PAW must be rubbing their hands with glee! Maybe they will introduce some decent small glow engines at a competitive price?

Luckily, I still have a couple of .25s on the shelf - I'm not really interested in anything bigger than a 60. I prefer models that I can get in my car without too much hassle....!

--

Pete

I've had a look round for glow plugs but also cast my net a bit further. Cox International is showing a significantly smaller inventory than they did a little time back. Along with the ARTF shortages is it possible that those in the business have seen the 'writing on the wall' for aero modelling generally??

OS literally have stopped producing 2 and four stroke model engines. no new model out for years, the LA's out of production, with only the 46 still being manufactured. On the 4st side, only 2, the .56 and the .72 are the main, the 110, 155 are impossible to obtain. Forget the OS sirius, the Pegasus and the the others.

I suppose we, as a group are in the best times, time when prices are low, technology, electric flight, radio reliability and range of models vast. Engines will be availably for many more years - in swapmeets and the like, but in a 100 years' time?frown

Peter, many of the OS engines are available, e.g., 46AX $147 (US) and 132 pounds (UK); OS55AX $170 (US) and 147 pounds (UK). Are these outrageous prices? I think not. For comparison the PAW 49 is currently selling in the UK at 195 pounds, so I am not sure why PAW should be rubbing their hands in glee.

Certainly I would imagine prices of small engines will rise with diminishing supply. As mentioned earlier that could be good for small scale producers allowing them to break even at last. The switch to electric won’t simply be automatic for many modellers . Most flyers at my club mainly run IC although a number have small electric models too.