Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

Posted by Phil Cooke on 17/06/2020 15:00:33:

Stephen - thanks for the comment - are you suggesting you've experienced the torque rod horns rotating due to the small moment about the rod in normal operation?? I can turn mine by hand but they are pretty tight on the threads - certainly wouldnt expect them to move during flight due to aerodynamic load. I did show I could knock them or move them with careless handling - which results in the aileron neutral position altering - but it takes some doing!

Well at the end of the day it is you choice, But for me if their is a simple solution which is just switch the push rods round and fit the ball links onto the servo arms . All it takes is a knock of the control surfaces and for you not to notice waggle the stick yep it`s fine and once the model is in the air you have run out of trim on your Tx and find yourself fighting to keep the model where you want it.

Yes i have knocked my models getting them in and out of the car , So if it can happen to me .

Steve

Advert

If its the pukka canopy glue it really does stick to anything, it dries clear into a stiff rubbery like compound. Just be mindful if you're gluing to any other surface finish (film or paint) the resultant canopy bond is only as good as that between the model and your surface finish.

If the canopy is well trimmed and there is plenty of contact around the perimeter edge you will be fine, aim to use a good bead of the glue and wipe off any excess on the outside with a damp cloth. Leaving the bead on the inside is ideal so long as it sits under the canopy framework area.

Hi Chris , I am using hitch servos for the wing. They are mg 85 mg . Are the servo throws on the wing 20 mm up and 8 mm down . I am struggling to get 20 mm with the small servo arms and am using a taranis radio. I have the ball link on the bottom hole on the torque rod and the outside hole on the servo arm . I have put an extension on the servo arm and I can get about 17 mm , but I would sooner have more and reduce in the transmitter end. Any ideas. Your servo arms don't look like they are long . Have you measured how much you are getting. Thanks john

John - I've not measured my aileron throws but 17mm will be more than enough movement.  Mechanically it sounds like you've done all you can to maximise throw.  Are you sure you haven't got an end stop limit set up on your transmitter?  Normal flight wont use anything like 17mm of throw - I wouldn't be too concerned.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 21/06/2020 18:18:38

With just the intake shaping and final surface sanding required to complete the fuselage ready for glass, I tackled the gun port job today - one I've put off for some time and even questioned whether or not to bother. But Dirk's finish has convinced and motivated me to add these characteristic scale features. Time to man up and cut up open the fuselage!

First job was to take the pre-made gun inserts and sand them all back to the same width to aid with the alignment maths...2mm stock was left either side of the carbon tube in an attempt to maximise the amount of fuselage planking material between the neighbouring ports.

gun port 1.jpg

So they were all paired down to the black lines - adding a chamfer in cross-section to aid insertion.

gun port 2.jpg

I made a template to aid positioning and the fuselage was marked up each side with a parallel centreline and the front and rear extent of each gun port.

gun port 3.jpg

gun port 4.jpg

Positioning the block insert against the gun port position allowed me to mark up the full extent of the holes required in the fuselage...

gun port 5.jpg

gun port 6.jpg

And with all six holes marked up and checked for symmetry the 'madness' began.

Each block was pushed into place and secured with a little pva glue, they are flush along the centreline and a little proud top and bottom with the curvature of the fuselage, this will all be final sanded back once dry.

gun port 10.jpg

gun port 11.jpg

And of course with one side done there's still another side to go! You can see I drew 2 centrelines spending a while viewing from the front and the top, measuring from the top and bottom spine - I think the red centreline is accurate and symetrical to the first side. I think. Anyway no going back now!

gun port 12.jpg

Appreciate the comments guys, it felt awfully wrong drilling into a nicely planked fuselage and making the holes to accept the blocks, but I'm sure the final resultant look will all be worth it!

Martin, both Gordon and yourself will have a very rewarding day when you see all this come together with a mass grouping with a model of your own design. I know you'll be grinning all day, a richly deserved reward for all your dedicated hard work!

I just wish we could confirm for everyone when the big day will be!? crying

Whilst I love eulogising and complimenting excellent building work to a standard far beyond my capabilities, I can't help worrying that those gun tubes could be a home for small worms which could get inside the fuselage and eat it. Never happened to me but a mouse did once eat my surf board at the caravan....mmm....mmm....

Nice....

I've not done any modelling today with work being hectic, in between linkcalls I DID notice on the Airfix website that they have released a new 1/48th scale F-86 and the website overview offers some really nice views of the airframe, including an elevated view from the 3/4 rear which shows the wing fillet and tail fillet shape really well (a view I was struggling to replicate in photos of the full-size!)

Here's a link to the new kit overview

Airfix Sabre

and here's the view for those still to model these fiddly little features!

airfix sabre.jpg

Good to get back in the garage again today after a few days off with a heavy work schedule. As the fuselage and belly pan are readied for glass I seemed to spend too much time today on final fits and refinement of shapes and blends - so lots of fitting & fettling with very little obvious progress or change!

The belly pan was a fraction long and needed trimming front and rear to achieve the correct spacing. Also the little ply faces on the rear wing fillets were just a tad tight, and with the wing having been fitted probably 50 times since build the local T/E of the wing was just showing signs of wear, despite it already being glassed. This part of the wing was sanded back and repaired too with a smudge of P38, a bit more glass resin here when I glass the belly pan later will sort this ready for paint.  The edge of the ply was also dressed back by  1/32".  All sorted.

belly pan front.jpg

belly pan rear.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 27/06/2020 17:51:42

I got the belly pan glassed and trimmed today, I left a little more resin in the weave than on the rest of the wing for robustness as this part will see (most of) the landings. I have left myself the job of blending in the overlap just outboard of the belly plan... never a pleasant job on a flat surface like that - much easier on a curved surface!belly pan glass.jpg

With the wing to one side I finally added the nose intake laminates having sanded the inner surfaces and radius as best I could before gluing it on the front ensuring it was vertical. Still quite a bit of shaping needed on the outer surfaces, you can see the pinacle of the nose still has a flat on it - that should be domed so still some more material to come off all round. Hopefully I can get rid of most of the filler between the laminate edges? Anyway, with that fitted she looks like a Sabre now, and if I'm not mistaken thats the final wooden part of the airframe now fitted!

nose sand 1.jpg

It's all sanding and glassing and sanding and priming now before the real fun starts with the paint.

Time for a beer

Hi Phil

Just a quick question, do you thin your skinning resin? Have bought the glass cloth as you recommended but Fighter Aces thought that the resin may not make it to Australia. Wish I could make it for the September Fly In, but that will not happen, maybe next year. It is great to see all the blogs on the F-86.

Thanks Dallas Crisp

Hiya Dallas, good to hear from you.

No, I dont thin the resin, I just mix as supplied at the correct ratio (by weight)

There is a very good chance the meeting won't take place this September, or indeed October, as I want to ensure all travel restrictions are eased to and from the UK before we run the event, as we have a number of international partcipants wanting to take part. If we havent run it by October then we will have to put it on hold until April or May next year - as the days throughout our winter are too short for a decent meeting - so dont throw in your cards just yet!!

Would be great to meet you at the Orme!