What is the minimum slope for a slope soarer?...

Hi all, I would love to try slope soaring, but I live in the dreaded Flatlands, where the only slope is probably the embankment of a local dyke. What is the minimum slope you can expect a PSS to work on? We do have a pretty constant wind though.

Martin

Never done it myself but I am pretty sure a PSS would need a decent slope and a stiff breeze, they weren't designed as gliders.

On a more practical note a glider with an electric motor would enable you to test just how small a slope you could use, if it's too small, a short burst of power will get you home safely and you can move on and try another location.

I am somewhere near the coast, although it means a day out type of trip. Not exactly local.

What's DLG, Steve J?

I do have a powered glider and hope to fly it tomorrow from the normal field, but always wanted to try slope and especially PSS. Looks as if that'll have to be kept for that day out!

Martin

Foxfan

You need enough slope for a sufficient 'volume' of air to be deflected upwards to give you have enough space to manoeuvre the plane and stay within the rising air area.

A volume deflected by a small slope means you will have to stay close to the slope and as suggested use a small plane.

It is of course a requirement that the slope is facing into the prevailing wind!

Beach sand dunes do have the advantage that the wind tends to blow 'on shore' more often than not.

'Flat lands' are good for thermals so get good at finding them with your powered glider. wink 2

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 17/08/2019 20:54:40:

Beach sand dunes do have the advantage that the wind tends to blow 'on shore' more often than not.

'Flat lands' are good for thermals so get good at finding them with your powered glider. wink 2

Dunno what makes you think that but it's not true of this part of the NE of England coast where the wind is off shore more often than on shore.

Edited By PatMc on 17/08/2019 21:31:36

Posted by Foxfan on 17/08/2019 22:20:36:

I have seen youtubes of dune soaring quite successfully.

PatMc, my son lives up that way and it was being up there that made me think of slope soaring.

Cheers,

Martin

Yes, but Pat's post reflects the fact that, in our part of the world, you get onshore winds more often on a "west coast" than on an "east coast".

Plus the fact that, IMO, successful dune soaring depends on identifying "special" spots that give "special" conditions, with a prevailing wind that is frequently "just right".

Years ago I flew a SAS Blob off the local 10 meter high sea defence wall and whilst I could stay airborne I quickly came to the conclusion it was all too marginal and never bothered to try again. No doubt a modern DLG would be better but I would not like to try any PSS.

Hi Martin - there are quite a few models that will fly well off a small slope. A PSS model is not generally one of them though o/a of the generally high wing loading compared to a dedicated glider. DLGs generally have a 1.5m wingspan, but there are smaller 1m w/s versions that might suit what you have available. There are also small foam flying wings available that are fun. Here's a vid I shot years ago in poor light at a small man made lake, just pottering around with a variety of models - in order of appearance are: home made DLG, Dreamflight Alula wing, home made EPP Eagle, Elegance glider, Bird of Time glider.

**LINK**

I fly my phoenix 2000 off my local sand dunes when the wind is blowing in straight off the sea. As the sand dunes are not very high, a good stiff breeze is required for a good flight 15-30MPH winds is my favourite range.

At 30MPH+ winds I take my durafly Excalibur devil

Here are a few vids of a chap dynamic soaring his Phoenix on sand dunes....

**LINK**

**LINK**