What's your favourite way of attaching a canopy?

Adrian Smith 1

Canopy glue, then a 1/2" wide strip of trim film carefully ironed over the join with a coolish iron or for a painted model an additional fillet of canopy glue around the edge. If the canopy has a flange that sits flat to the fuselage then I have on occasion used screws in the same way as Don.

I do like Denis's idea for canopies that don't sit flush though, I may have to pinch that one. I could have used it on my Lavochkin but that is securely attached with canopy glue now.

guys--, I have had limited success with the 560 stuff. Just for looks I cut down brass brads and added a few . If you drill a hole the same size as the brads it usually splits the canopy. Years ago I bought an attachment for my Dremel which cleanly sliced a grove down each side so the canopy fits flush but sadly have not seen the ad for years now. BTW, several years ago I posted an idea about dying the canopy. I used RIT cloth dye . Warm water in a tub and soak it for awhile. Oddly it has only worked on one kind of plastic and not on others. CA glue out gasses and messes up the plastic.------------------------Bob

I have had the canopy spitting issue with small screws, Robert. However, that was in my I/C days and I have noticed with electric models there is much less vibration and probably should be less of a problem.

Rich, I think I will try small screws with some very small grommets I have to lessen the "splitting" factor. May be canopy glue plus screws although that sounds like overkill!

I have used this to great effect, apply glue and hold canopy in place with tape until set, it is used by jewelers to affix jewels in watches etc, drys crystal clear as well and any excess is easily cleaned away, although with the applicator its hard to make a mess.

Got mine £2.99 on the bay, you cant go wrong with this stuff.s-l1600 (3).jpg

I'm not a big fan of canopy glue, but it has worked for me. First I lightly key the gluing area with fine sandpaper, both painted and film covered surfaces, then apply the canopy glue, hold down the canopy with masking tape, then here's the important bit ... leave the glued canopy undisturbed for 48 hours. Takes a while to fully set I know, but works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think I've seen this mentioned yet but, has anyone ever tried hot glue for attaching canopies ?

It seems to stick to pretty much everything else in RC Models, especially being used on some stronger jobs and it certainly won't fog up clear screens. The big plus is that it sets fairly quick and can always be peeled off and re-applied later if need be.

I have a small hobby / craft size hot glue gun which will give a nice fine application of glue and have been considering using it to mount windscreens on a model. I just haven't got to that stage yet.

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 04/10/2019 05:12:08

Interesting idea Mark but I'd really advise trying it on a bit of scrap canopy material first to see how much heat distortion you get. Even a covering iron on a low setting used to attach trim strips around a canopy needs a very gentle touch and lingering on one spot is an absolute no-no or the canopy material will sag under the iron so I suspect using a hot glue gun would need a good deal of care.

Zap-A-Dab-a-Goo form zap glues is good if you can still get hold of it . I bought a few large tubes some years ago when it was getting scarce .

Just checked on the net and its still available but seems to be priced parallel to the gold standard !. Alternatives are Goop or Shoe Goo

Put a bead on and hold in place with tape . Very strong .