Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?

Foxfan

My DX6i is of the later DSMX only type and won't work with the old DSM2 Rx if I understand the situation correctly. I expected that this may be the same with certain ages of DX7 - that is older TX would work OK with DSM2 Rx but that later Tx sold in UK & EU would not work with DSM2 Rx so needed a DSMX Rx. For a while there were certain models of Orange Rx being sold quite cheaply and I assume that was because they would not work with the latest DSMX only Tx.

Basically very old Spektrum TX will work with any Spektrum Rx but later UK & EU spec Spektrum Tx will only work with DSMX Rx   ( EU regs that came into force 1st Jan a couple of years back)   I don't think this has anything to do with being Orange or genuine Spektrum - its the same situation.  DSMX RECEIVERS are backwards compatible while late type DSMX only type Tx are not.

.If I have got this wrong then no doubt someone will tell us!

Edited By kc on 27/09/2019 16:44:31

This is one of the latest Spektrum receivers and if you look at the spec. it is DSMX and DSM-2 compatible, so it will work with a DX-7, new or old. I have looked online at a few Spectrum receivers and they all appear to be backwards compatible with DSM-2 transmitters. So Martin doesn't need to worry excessively which modulation his DX7 uses, he should be able to buy either new Spectrum or Orange receivers for it.

The instructions for the AR629 Rx is here and it does clearly state that it is DSM2 compatible so if I am wrong it is not my fault!

I am not sure if your Spectrum DX5e is just DSM, not DSM2. If it is DSM then it's receiver won't work with a DSMX/DSM-2 transmitter. Just to muddy the waters.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 27/09/2019 17:09:27

Piers- sorry to argue with you but it's not a question of whether the latest Rx is compatible its a question of whether latest EU /UK spec DSMX only TX will work with older NON DSMX Rx - they won't. Check out Hobby King where they sell an Orange Transmitter to EU spec (DSMX only ) and an International version DSM2 & DSMX ( illegal to import into EU - maybe Boris can change this for England)

Edited By kc on 27/09/2019 17:08:55

I am sure you know a lot more about it than I do kc. As I see it, if Martin buys an old DX7 with DSM-2 modulation  and then buys a new AR620 receiver it should work, as the spec says it will work with DSM-2 and DSMX. I thought it was only illegal to import a DSM-2 transmitter, no problem with receivers? Incidentally that link did not work for me for some reason.

Where is Peter Christie when you need him?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 27/09/2019 17:26:49

No i don't claim to know that much about radio but I am just stating what it says elswhere! Its a confusing situation so let's hope Peter Christie and other experts can confirm or deny what I say so that forum members are aware of accurate info.

The problem is the Tx curently sold in UK won't work with DSM2 Rx.   So a secondhand Tx may or may not work depending on when it was imported.    Currently sold Rx on the other hand will work. 

Edited By kc on 27/09/2019 17:43:36

One thing Foxfan, with this talk of Spectrum receivers, and seeing you use EBay, be very wary about buying fake Spectrum receivers there. There are many, and I can't see why anyone would use one on a plane if you don't even know who made it.

The sellers claim they are made with Spektrum components. A lie.

KC

One of our club member bought some orange RXs from Hobby king. and it didin't work so he took it back and they promptly gave him ones that DID work. We are only 20 miles f rom them and Gary Weston is anold friend tomost club members.

SO THE ANSWER IS Yes there are two tpes of orange Rxs a some work with the oldTXs. (I have one!!!)

Edited By Peter Miller on 27/09/2019 18:25:42

This has nothing to do with whether the Rx are Orange brand or not. Both Orange and Spektrum made Rx for DSM2 and DSMX.

All the older Rx would have worked with all the Spektrum Tx if the EU had not stopped DSM2 transmitters being imported into EU. It is just a question of whether Martin's older Rx are DSMX or not . If they are NOT DSMX they won't work with Tx imported after Jan 2015.

The seller of a post 2015 Tx will not be able to assure you if he does not know what your Rx are.   

Edited By kc on 27/09/2019 19:17:01

I spoke tonight with the guy selling me the Tx. and he assures me that all his Rxs are Orange, with one a Lemon and all work just fine with the Tx I'm buying, so all appears to be well on that score.The Tx has a LiFe battery, so we need to play with my B6 charger to ensure it'll charge a LiFe cell. I think it does, but it's in the shed and it's peeing with rain right now, so a job for tomorrow to find out.

Martin

Foxfan,

Ignoring any discussion about a new radio, I am confused by your need to rebind when you swap aircraft. Just to confirm, this is with a DX5e?

When you bind a Spektrum (or compatible) RX to a radio you save the ID of the radio in memory on board the RX. The RX then 'knows' to listen to that radio. Unless you rebind that RX to a different radio, the ID of the radio that is stored will not change.

The question is, what happens when you swap models?

Edited By Martin_K on 27/09/2019 19:53:26

Yep you should be able to bind multiple Rxs to your Dx5e.

The advantage of the Dx7 will be that the receiver will be bound to that memory so if you select the wrong model it won't work. Also each memory will store all your servo and trim settings, so when you switch models all control surfaces will move in the correct direction and you won't have to re-trim the model.

That's interesting. The DX7 has Model Match which means that the TX model memory is linked to a particular model and the RX will only respond to that model memory.

I hadn't really thought about it, but just the other day I was replacing a switch on of my PSS models, switched on the tramsmitter (FF( with a Frsky module) and changed the model memory to that model then heard a noise up in the rafters. Another, entirely different model was responding to the TX. I'd hung her up a few minutes previously and mush have accidentally pressed in the pushrod to the internally mounted switch. On examination the controls were reversed. I switched off the model and went back to the bench.

Reading the posts above about rebinding I just went out to the workshop and turned on three models at the same time and they all responded to the transmitter on one model memory. I suppose that I hadn't really given that much consideration and just took the model matching for granted on the Spektrum.. It's an even better feature than I'd imagined = having seen models wrecked in the past due to wrong model memory issues. Another reason to snap up that DX7 in my book.

Whilst I don't pretend to understand the detail of your post, leccyflyer, I get the gist...I think and thanks for that assurance. I have never had a programmable Tx. and have no notion of what they do or how to achieve it!. So all the jargon is as Serbo-Croat to me, for the time being, anyway.

The deal is done and I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning, weather regardless. If it's pelting down we just natter and drink coffee, as long as the driveway is not rutted from the rain.

Cheers,

Martin