Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?

Foxfan

I'm wondering about going for a computer RC set to avoid all the rebinding when I swap between aircrft.

I am on a strict budget and either go for a s/hj Spektrum DX7 which has never failed or a new Turnigy X9 from HK with an Rx.

BUT, will the all singing, all dancing Turnigy work on the inexpensive Orange and Storm Rxs. that I can get from ebay or is it too modern and clever for that. I have been warned off the Spektrum in another place, but there are an awful lot of 'em about.

Please don't suggest JR, Futaba, etc. because I don't have that kind of money.

Martin

Presumably you know the seller of the DX7 and in which case I'd go for it. I'm a great believer in second hand quality stuff - not only aeromodelling. In fact the desk top PC I'm using now was bought as a refurbished unit ffrom PC World. It's been going strong for about 9 years until this weekend when the HD failed. I've replaced it and rebuilt the sw etc and it's probably good for another 9 years.

I bought a Futaba FF7 Super from a club mate s/h and it never let me down and I've bought s/h Multiplex IPD receivers on EBay when I was still using 35Mhz and never had a problem.

Geoff

Normally I don't but 2nd hand radio gear, unless I know the seller or obvious if the set hasn't been used.

All my tx's were bought new except:

• My first JR Max 5, bought off a friend payed back in installments until paid off.
  • A brand new Hitec Aurora 9, for £150 with 4 rx's know the person and set was unused, new.
  • Another Aurora 9 off ebay, unused with a job lot of aircraft, guy had passed away.
  • Spektrum DX6, Bought off a ex club member, known for many years, and set was surplus as his son never carried on with the hobby after leaving for uni. brand new with 4 x Ar400 rx for £85.
  • Tactic radio set, never used, still in case, with 8 rx's 4 aircraft 100 odd servos, esc's, charger, etc for £100

For now, only buy if you know the person , as no point buying a suspect radio and losing models due to saving money - which is counterproductive.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/09/2019 09:24:23

This is the sort of question where you ask 6 modellers and get 7 different answers. Personally if you know the dx7 I would buy it. All of my transmitters are second hand from eBay. In 2013 I retired and decided to do more flying I went straight to electric and also decided on some new radio. I bought a Futaba J6 and a spectrum dx6i. Both great radios but both of them did not appeal to me. So Within a month they both went on eBay and I bought the 8 channel version of both second hand on the same site. 61/2 years later I love them both. I then got glow model withdrawal itches and decided to get a second hand set of JR. The first two I got were ok, I ran the rule carefully over them, decided they were safe but somehow I wanted something better and newer.So they both went back on for auction with honest descriptions and happy in the knowledge they were safe and reliable  I was able to buy a mint condition pcm9x 16 pairs of crystals and 6 spcm receivers for £99. I checked for black wire corrosion replaced the battery and power switch as a matter of course. Lovely set of radio. I have also bought a 2.4 module for it just while they were still available assuming they won’t last forever. So you can get the great mid range Futsbas and Jrs you always wanted and have 2.4 A’s well if you want

Edited By gangster on 27/09/2019 09:51:05

Gangster,

I have never liked Futabas, due, mainly, to their overpriced nature for what they are and I have no idea what all the 2.4Gg module business is all about.

I have seen the guy fly his DX7 prior to his recent upgrade to a DX9 (I think) as he gets bigger and fancier 'planes.

I would still like to know if a new Turnigy will work with Orange and Storm Rxs.? Can anyone advise that, please?

Martin

If you are considering second hand then you can afford a Futaba or JR tx . A FF9 is a great tx and can be picked up for well under £100 as can the JR TXs . If you go for a 35 met set you can convert to 2.4 using FrSky module and Rxs.

Simple plug in conversion and very reliable, plus you can expand the model memory by pouting in a CamPac. Look for the later FF9 super easily identified by a red an blue led when switched on . The earlier model had a red and green led and is still a good TX . The "Super" has a few more features.

Doc, it would have to be WELL under £100 for me, I'm afraid and the only reason I'm considering s/h is because a club member has offered me his DX7 for £30. I have no need of a 9 function Tx.. I doubt I'll ever use 7 really. I just wanted the one with a screen to do some basic programming and to give me model memories. My current Tx is a DX5e (barely used) and works fine, but I'd rather it were kept for the Pietenpol so I don't have to keep re-binding it to another Rx. in another 'plane.

That's why I asked if the Turnigy will work with the Orange Rx. I have in my DB Mascot. I know the DX7 will.

Martin

Fox fan you and I will upset a lot of people here but I agree with your comments about Futaba. I first wanted the new Futaba J in about 1979. Hell of a price but was about to buy one until I found that the receivers were all going back and being swapped for M series. So I bought a Sanea black custom. Perfect smoother sticks better quality’s feel altogether Fast forward to the late 80s. Toddled into LMS and asked for a FF7. Oh no they don’t make that any more try a FF8. To be honest I didn’t like the feel or price.i know what you want said man in shop and handed me a Hitec Prismx. First reaction was Chinese cheap rubbish. Wow what a set far better quality than the Futaba it had cloned. It was soon after that hitec gained respect it has today .I had that radio for 25 years. I later learnt that ff8 aerial mounts could snap. Back into lms mid nineties and fell in love with JR once again cheaper and better quality. Always wanted to buy Futaba but always found a good reason not to. Fast forward to 2013 and bought the 6j. Plasticky but hey it coast less than a couple of servos would back in the day in real terms. Sorry this does not answer your question. I am sure someone knows. Just wanted to share the flack you will get from the Futaba fraternity clearly good stuff with a strong loyal following but I think that is waning a bit now

Edited By gangster on 27/09/2019 10:18:05

I have only second hand radios and all work well and all are Futaba which I have used for over 35 years now. The FF9 is a great radio and has been the main radios that my son and I use. I had one on 2.4 and one on 35 megs. Most of my glow aircraft are 35 and electric is 2.4. Most of your modern equipment is very reliable when compaired to the older stuff as manufacturing has improved and the electronics are better. Many of the modern Transmitters have far more programming and seem to exceed my skills so I prefer using the older TX's that I can program.

I recently purchased a FF7, FF8 and FF9 with 3 spare tx modules and 8 receivers on 35 megs for ZAR 500.00 which is about GBP 30.00

Hi Foxfan, you can drive a Rolls or a Fiesta, at the end of the day they both do the same thing, gets you from A to B lol. The choice is ours. I am with you, I run my hobby on a shoe string, so I do not have to stint on family. Re your question on TurnigyTx and Orange recievers, best bet is to get on Hobby King chat line, they are very helpful. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 27/09/2019 10:34:10

Bite his arm off for £30. Especially as you know the source and condition of said TX.

The Orange RXs from Hobbyking will work fine with it - my foamies have all (bar one) had Orange RX, the odd one out has a Lemon. All have worked perfectly with the Spektrum TXs without a hitch.

I don't own the Turnigy TX you mention, but, its protocol is not the same as Spektrum.

If your Orange RX in the Mascot works with a Spektrum TX, my guess is no, the Turnigy will not work with it.

Edited By Nigel R on 27/09/2019 10:41:20

I have a Taranis,but stay away, as it's logic will make you give up. Brilliant set, just not as a first radio set,unless you can understand 6502 assembly language and able to think as a computer.

I can be dual protocol, but not as straight forward, there are EU, International variants (and rx's won't work unless flashed to their respective regions), then D8/D16 and long range modes.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/09/2019 11:05:41

Paul, I would never have a PC based system as I hate computer fiddling. And if I had that kind of money I would buy a Jeti Duplex and get perfection.

Nigel, many thanks for the assurance about Orange Rxs with the Spektrum, just what I was after. I will'phone the gent and confirm my purchase. Won't be seeing him for who knows how long thanks to the sudden change in the weather.

Flyboy3, exactly. I CAN afford stuff, but wife and family come first and make justification an aspect of daily life.

Gangster, thanks for the support. I know the Futaba stuff is well liked. My old chum has shelves full of it and even got persuaded to buy a 2.4 version weeks before he went down with dementure so he never used it, but, like Porsches, I don't like what everyone else has if it's also expensive and Futaba has always been pricey. I would rather spend my money on some metal perfection like Jeti Duplex, but can't justify that at any time, s/h or not!

It looks like the Spektrum is the buy to go for.

Many thanks, gents.

Martin

DX7 sounds like a very good choice. A friend of mine bought one some years ago and it never missed a beat. What I would say is enquire from your friend when was the Tx battery last replaced, as I suspect the radio is quite old. It may be fine but for peace of mind a new battery could be a good investment, especially as the Tx hasn't cost you an arm and a leg. Just a thought.

I don't know much about DX7 as i am a DX6i user ( later type which is DSMX only ) so I may be complicating things but.......

It occurs to me that nobody so far has mentioned to check whether the DX7 is DSMX only or is DSM2 & DSMX. Same with the RX.