The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by Cuban8 on 21/02/2020 11:03:19:

Excuse me, but what the devil has this got to do with recreational model aircraft flown at a club or other proper place ....

For businesses to operate commercial BVLOS they need a mechanism to know what else is in the air. (There may be better ways of doing it than broadcasting ID from model aircraft but government discussions suggest that is what is coming).

Advert

"please don't think I'm angling g for someone on here to offer, just need heads up best place to get them printed"

Various ebay sellers offer a customised sticker type service. I paid £2.30 for ten.

Search for "stick on waterproof school kids identity printed name labels stickers"

I figured it was cheaper than buying a printer.

That BBC footage...

here

is the spot the drone is at, at 50 seconds in. It is around 500m away from the start point. I can't see squat at 500m, let alone orient a drone behind two hedges.

On a side note, I recognise the area; unless I'm mistaken those fields flood most years. They flooded last year. They are all very low lying. Every few years the A40 might close at that spot. This year the Wye went very high though.

Edited By Nigel R on 21/02/2020 12:27:45

Posted by Nigel R on 21/02/2020 12:27:01:

That BBC footage...

here

is the spot the drone is at, at 50 seconds in. It is around 500m away from the start point. I can't see squat at 500m, let alone orient a drone behind two hedges.

On a side note, I recognise the area; unless I'm mistaken those fields flood most years. They flooded last year. They are all very low lying. Every few years the A40 might close at that spot. This year the Wye went very high though.

Edited By Nigel R on 21/02/2020 12:27:45

Nigel, I'm intrigued - how do you know where the drone is at 50s in, and where it started from? Apologies if I've missed something very simple!

Tim.

Labels - how hard has it got to be? Printed off a list of my ID on bog standard A4, 25mm long, 3.2mm high. Cut them out with a scissors and sellotape to the plane! By the time I'm finished the entire exercise will have cost less than a quid.

Also re police interest, a retired copper friend of mine says if he knows anything about the force, they'll be competing amongst themselves to see who can chalk up the first pinch and £1000 fine.

So when the local gauleiter struts up to you and demands 'papieren!', you'd better have your 'ausweis' handy! (And mind you don't give yourself away if he wishes you 'good luck' in English...)

Posted by Mike T on 21/02/2020 16:45:33:

Labels - how hard has it got to be? Printed off a list of my ID on bog standard A4, 25mm long, 3.2mm high. Cut them out with a scissors and sellotape to the plane! By the time I'm finished the entire exercise will have cost less than a quid.

Also re police interest, a retired copper friend of mine says if he knows anything about the force, they'll be competing amongst themselves to see who can chalk up the first pinch and £1000 fine.

So when the local gauleiter struts up to you and demands 'papieren!', you'd better have your 'ausweis' handy! (And mind you don't give yourself away if he wishes you 'good luck' in English...)

Your retired copper friend is either an idiot, or a senior boss elevated above his talents. Poor plods doing shifts at the coalface have better things to do, like keeping the the sergeant of their backs, paperwork late. Or sorting out hate crimes, as I read this week with some amusement. Old scrotes, moreover, gobby, educated, opinionated old scrotes, are not easy targets.

Posted by Steve J on 21/02/2020 17:43:32:
Posted by Martin Harris on 21/02/2020 17:30:28:

I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained.

I don't. You have no idea where the pilot was. Neither do I, but I doubt if he was standing in the water.

While I can only speculate why you have only quoted part of my posting omitting the bit where I stated that "The only unknown is the position of the operator but I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained", can you, with the benefit of the aerial view, suggest a location giving a clear view of the entire flight without some form of natural X-ray vision? I'm not suggesting taking the pilot to court over this so there's no need for any proof that would stand up in court but I think a reasonable person could only conclude the strong likelihood of the flight contravening the regulations.

Seemed pretty easy to follow the path on Google maps, given that Nigel knew where the farm was. The only unknown is the position of the operator but I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained.

I don't follow this I'm afraid. Nigel said he recognised the area, not that he knew the farm itself. Given the area is flooded, I can't see how anybody can pinpoint where that drone is with much accuracy, let alone know where the pilot is. None of it really matters I guess, but I don't like assumptions being presented as facts.

Tim.

Posted by Tim Kearsley on 21/02/2020 18:22:08:

Seemed pretty easy to follow the path on Google maps, given that Nigel knew where the farm was. The only unknown is the position of the operator but I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained.

I don't follow this I'm afraid. Nigel said he recognised the area, not that he knew the farm itself. Given the area is flooded, I can't see how anybody can pinpoint where that drone is with much accuracy, let alone know where the pilot is. None of it really matters I guess, but I don't like assumptions being presented as facts.

Tim.

The identity of the farmer is known and this may have pinpointed the location to someone like Nigel familiar with the area. The layout of the 3 trees, road location and the hedge lines plus the prominent white house with 3 windows upstairs viewed with the aid of "street view", look identical to what is overflown and visible in the video to me. While not absolutely conclusive I would happily put money on it being the location of the video.

Perhaps Nigel might clarify his last paragraph?

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/02/2020 18:50:22

Don

I think you are a little generous.

When I was pulled over by the police, had my documents, a lot attention paid to the car, my policeman neighbour said, when speaking with him. If they would have booked you, that would have been extra points, in the game (my car at the time was a Posche). As it appeared, according to him (a traffic policeman, motorcycles) it was a way of alleviating the boredom of the traffic police, on a quite period.

As to was the farmer contravening regulations. It is essentially something that is best just forgotten about. I have seen a few things on BBC programs that appear to be questionable.

Folks, just a reminder that using ****** to hide poor language isn’t allowed on this forum. So doing gains the poster an immediate stage 1 warning. If you’re new or relatively new to the forum then please take the time to check the Code or Conduct.

The CAA/DOFT threads are generating a steady string of warnings and, in some cases, forum expulsions (for those already on a stage 1). We do this quietly in the background so don’t make the mistake of assuming this site is unmoderated just because you don’t see warnings given in public.

I doubt the story ends here and we've still to see many twists and turns in the saga, but the forum COC still stands and applies to all members, no matter how long they've been using this site. 

With thanks, David. 

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 22/02/2020 06:41:52

Posted by Nigel R on 21/02/2020 12:11:31:

"please don't think I'm angling g for someone on here to offer, just need heads up best place to get them printed"

Various ebay sellers offer a customised sticker type service. I paid £2.30 for ten.

Search for "stick on waterproof school kids identity printed name labels stickers"

I figured it was cheaper than buying a printer.

heers Nigel,

• 1 month later...
Posted by Steve J on 31/03/2020 16:03:00:

If anybody is interested, EASA published their U-Space opinion a couple of weeks ago.

From pg 30...

"3.2.2. Who is affected?

UAS operators: All legal or natural persons operating or intending to operate one or more unmanned aircraft. UAS operators that operate unmanned aircraft that are considered toys or those under subcategory A1, and UAS operators that conduct operations under model aircraft clubs and associations, and wish to operate within the established U-space airspace, will be obliged to use Uspace services and conclude a contract with one of the certified USSPs for that particular U-space airspace implementation. UAS operators are benefitting from those services as the latter support them in conducting their operations safely and therefore in delivering their services."

As recreational users aren't we the lucky ones?! angry 2

Posted by MattyB on 31/03/2020 16:28:28:
Posted by Steve J on 31/03/2020 16:03:00:

If anybody is interested, EASA published their U-Space opinion a couple of weeks ago.

From pg 30...

"3.2.2. Who is affected?

UAS operators: All legal or natural persons operating or intending to operate one or more unmanned aircraft. UAS operators that operate unmanned aircraft that are considered toys or those under subcategory A1, and UAS operators that conduct operations under model aircraft clubs and associations, and wish to operate within the established U-space airspace, will be obliged to use Uspace services and conclude a contract with one of the certified USSPs for that particular U-space airspace implementation. UAS operators are benefitting from those services as the latter support them in conducting their operations safely and therefore in delivering their services."

As recreational users aren't we the lucky ones?! angry 2

The intention, IMO, is to squeeze as much money out of us whilst squeezing us out of 'U-space' airspace.

• 4 weeks later...