Sabre Rattling time

Well Phil must have caught me in a moment of weakness, he has been on at me for years to join in with you mad lot, I mean you must be mad to throw your prized position of a ruddy great rock!

Anyway, I am looking forward to this immensely, I will no doubt add my own twist to bits but am hoping to get lots of advice along the way.

I have ummed and ahhhhed over a subject, but think, if nobody else has dibbed it, will go for this one:

maybe 1.jpg

Martin suggested a splash of colour so that I can see it with my failing eyesight, and stand a chance of controlling it with joddery thumbs.

Hopefully some RDS for the wing waggly bits.

Alas I have a rather busy building board at the moment so wont be able to get cracking yet, but it will give plenty of time for you lot to figure out all the gotchas.

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 06/11/2019 21:50:59:

Though I am sure i will find lots to fret about

... well, I guess we will be at least two of us then, Danny.

RDS for the wing "wabbly bits"? ... they are originally TE stock, so I guess you might build them up instead? ... here we go then... cool

Anyhow, subscribed already, young man.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Danny,

My wing plan is taped to the building board and the wingtips are both 18mm from the edge of the board.

But then, I don't know the exact measures of my board... blush

... doesn't help much really, does it. angel

But a gentle soul with the necessary knowledge will surely jump in.

Cheers

Chris

Honoured to have you in our company Danny. Will watch with interest. I am doing a fibreglass fuselage lost foam method, but that is a little too philistine for most methinks. Not balsa.

If you do fly it with us, don't forget your flappy paddled hat, thin gloves and thermals. I have seen too many freeze to death first time out - eh Chris?

can somebody explain the competition element please?

"The formal competition element will be run on whichever date has the best flying conditions"

Nothing too serious Danny - just a bit of static judging and demo of any novel scale features or deviations from the plan as drawn as we review the mdoels one by one throughout the morning session. We always arrange the models neatly in their own pit area - so when they're not being flown this allows those tasked with the judging to view all the models together and to compare and contrast throughout the day.

I normally work with those involved in the design of the chosen model to agree winners in a few categories, typically;

Best PSSA Newcomer

Most Innovative Build

Best Finished Model

Prizes are modest of course, its all just a bit of fun! Bring some pictorial evidence of your chosen scheme or variant and you will put yourself in the good books with the judges

Edited By Phil Cooke on 07/11/2019 19:42:42

Lost foam sounds interesting

Yes as it June and atop a windy rock I have already been looking into thermal wear.

Maybe full blown ski wear

Thanks Phil, i wasn't aware of the comp angle, adds a nice touch. I will be happy to land on the top rather than the bottom!

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 07/11/2019 19:57:24

Edited By Danny Fenton on 07/11/2019 19:57:51

Well the postie delivered the goods and everything is very nicely packaged and labelled.

1.jpg

Cant wait to get started. Looking at the plan, rudder and flaps are optional, are they worth the extra work when you are sloping? Are there real benefits? I can perhaps see the benefit of brakes??

I will replace most of the soft block with blue foam as I will be glassing the model.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 09/11/2019 12:38:29

My view of flaps for a low wing PSS model Danny is that they can get caught on landing as you have no undercarriage (not personally of course ). Also PSS models unlike mouldies which need crow brakes don't usually land fast enough to need them. I often mix in spoilerons which can work well with some down elevator mixed in. Nav lights can look effective

Thanks Peter, being a novice I don't know how much these models need to be slowed down before arrival.

I think I will keep it simple..... those that know me may wonder, if that is indeed possible crook

Thoughts on the rudder?

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 09/11/2019 22:02:19

Edited By Danny Fenton on 09/11/2019 22:03:35

I like having a rudder as I use it a lot in the landing phase to side slip to scrub off speed and to make flatter turns when I get off course too close to the ground. Having a rudder has also saved me when caught out either by mis judgement or rotor/turbulence when the model just wants to flip over faster than I can roll it back with just ailerons.

Generally though, I don't use rudder much during normal flying. There's usually (sometimes) so much wind that bank & yank are all that's needed with so much speed and energy.

I think for my Sabre I'll go with a rudder but not flaps, that big hole up front should slow it down enough!laugh

Interesting discussion about flaps.

I use them all the time on my slope models. If the lift dies I droop them a couple of mm to increase the wing camber and help get me back to the top of the hill.

I also use them for CROW braking - very useful when you have to land in a restricted landing zone.

As Peter says, they can be damaged if left down on landing, but it is easy to clean them away just before touchdown. I find spoilerons drop the model in quick whereas CROW allows me to land with almost zero forward momentum, if done properly.

The German TA154 I flew on the Orme just hovered in vertically with full flap deployed!