Horizon Hobby not Responding

Advert

I spent years getting ignored by Horizon Hobby. I will not buy anything from them anymore.

Oh, and when they did respond several years later after being shamed into it on social media, they said they would not resolve the issue as it was too old! (even though it was only old because they did not respond when the issue was new!)

Disgraceful company in my opinion.

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 28/01/2020 11:44:54:

I presume you paid using a card. Contact the card provider and request a chargeback for the cost of the model on the basis that you were sent faulty goods. That should prompt HH to contact you so you can arrange return.

I think that only applies if you paid by credit (not debit) card & you haven't paid off the full amount owing.

An alternative might be to use the terms of the Distance Selling Act. Info from Which? here.

Posted by PatMc on 28/01/2020 12:14:22:
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 28/01/2020 11:44:54:

I presume you paid using a card. Contact the card provider and request a chargeback for the cost of the model on the basis that you were sent faulty goods. That should prompt HH to contact you so you can arrange return.

I think that only applies if you paid by credit (not debit) card & you haven't paid off the full amount owing.

An alternative might be to use the terms of the Distance Selling Act. Info from Which? here.

I am pretty sure it apples to both debit and credit cards and is regardless of whether you have paid all of the credit card amount off. However I think it applies to transactions over £100.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 28/01/2020 18:14:09:

HH are a disgusting company, learned this with one of the very first DX8. There still today selling radios with poor quality rf boards and pots, they really don't care.

Will never buy anything from them again, won't even buy secondhand

My DX9 has gone through 2 RF boards. I also have a duff dx6 and dx5e with failed boards. Stopped buying any of their stuff a few years ago when they stopped replying to customer service emails. Letters to their CEO in the USA resulted in no response too. Would not touch them with a barge pole lately.

Posted by Andrew Ray on 07/02/2020 13:16:01:

My post on RCG elicited a PM from Timo at Horizon Hobby in Germany and a couple of emails later a satisfactory outcome.

So, my faith in Horizon has been restored yes

Mine wouldn't be, if they'd only responded after a 'name and shame' post on a forum with international exposure!

The usual forum etiquette is to give suppliers a chance to resolve problems before making waves online, but many prove to be serial offenders.

Perhaps the best 'standard operating procedure' with these is to follow their reporting process, but with the inclusion of a statement that the matter is also being posted on RCG etc. so that the wider modelling community can monitor the outcome. Obviously, a good result should be trumpeted as loudly as a bad one. Stick and carrot...

I sent Horizon many emails, which they failed to respond to. I sent recorded delivery letters which they failed to respond to. When somebody finally responded after naming and shaming online, they said that they 'cannot deal with old issues'. When I pointed out that the issues were only old because they ignored my emails and letters when the issues were new they stopped replying.

As far as I'm concerned Horizon are rotten to the core. Their products are overpriced and not particularly reliable. I used to be an advocate of their products. My advice now is not to touch them with a barge pole.

Posted by Andrew Ray on 07/02/2020 15:43:42:

Actually Mike, your assumptions are not correct.

They did respond initially. I have no idea why the lines of communication failed after that, I am told that they have no record of my subsequent emails and not being too cynical I am prepared to take that as the truth.

So far as forum etiquette goes, I sent emails over a few weeks, ample time to elicit a response and I’m not quite sure what your point is...

OK - I'll try again smiley

My point is that where you/we are dealing with a supplier who has 'form' (HH in this case, as evidenced by your tale and that of other posters - Jason-I is the laterst) a pre-emptive strike may be in order. That is, in your/our initial communications with them, inform them that you are posting the issue on (insert media of choice) to inform others and keep them abreast of developments. It needn't be threatening or nasty - just informative and lets them know they are under scrutiny. They may not give a flying fish, but what harm can it do but to try?

You/I/we wouldn't take this action with known 'good guys', unless it was to post after the event how well they'd handled it.

HTH