RCM&E April 2020 issue chat

Keith Simmons

I did enjoy reading “five ways to spray” in March issue (page 112) and was interested in reading about the compressor for next time and I was hoping to read it in the April issue but I can’t find it. I do hope it will in a future issue. Thanks
Keith

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 09/03/2020 20:10:25

Posted by Paul Marsh on 09/03/2020 19:01:37:

It's nice to see SMC and Slough having their ads back in the magazine. Going on line is ok, but not as good as seeing it in print. Remember when Slough's ad were 8 pages long!

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 09/03/2020 20:11:18

I totally agree with Paul's comments about the SMC and Slough ads. Somehow looking over all the goodies is more enjoyable than an online search, and often gets you thinking about other goodies too that you might not have.

Overall I'm happy with the magazine these days. Even the stuff I'm not interested in seems to be well presented and readable.certain "trends" are noticeable, but not objectionable. Pictures of a build in a "normal" workshop, rather than staged for the magazine were appreciated.

I did notice another reference to model boats though. The thin edge of the wedge ? devil

Posted by Phil Green on 12/03/2020 16:38:32:
Posted by kevin b on 12/03/2020 14:53:48:

Has anybody spotted this month's "deliberate mistake" yet ?

Not crediting John Woodfield in the 'Invader' article? I thought that was remiss.

Edited By Phil Green on 12/03/2020 16:40:19

Sorry Phil. Nowhere near.

I will leave it until tomorrow for the answer.

I will give you a clue. Its not the first time !  (The Ed is not going to be happy)

Edited By kevin b on 12/03/2020 21:48:54

Posted by Max Z on 13/03/2020 08:46:55:

Wrong picture in the "Armattan Tadpole" introduction article (Lee Schofield, page 73) It's the "Amass Connectors" picture duplicated.

Cheers,

Max.

I missed that one Max and it's not a spelling mistake either.

Posted by malcolm woodcock 1 on 11/03/2020 16:45:12:

Enjoyed Alex Whittaker's article 'The Survivalist Manifesto' about Government intervention in our hobby. I remember the last time and we had to change our frequency. Can anybody tell me what happened to 'Citizen Band Radio'?

A bigger curse mobile phones! at least they don't interfere with the radio signal. I wonder how many crashes were pilot error blamed on C.B.

Ok. Answer time.

If anybody was interested enough to examine the free plan, they would have found that you can't build from it. Not unless you go out and get another copy printed. The parts you connect together are printed on the same piece of paper, but on opposite sides. As I said, not the first time, but I don't think there will be many who want to build it anyway.

crook

I think seeing some of these old plans in the Mag helps us realise just how much the hobby has progressed. However some of these designs are sufficiently quirky for some people to start cutting balsa as they crave something different from the run of the mill offerings. Also, simple and quick to build too. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I winced when I saw the aerofoil section but it only goes to show that just about anything will fly at model sizes. After reading Shaun Garritys's enthusiastic article I wouldn't mind betting that there will be a few modellers out there building their own version as we speak. Plenty of choice of colour schemes too...smile p

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question for the powers that be - if non-essential workers are being advised to stay at home, will publishing and distributing leisure magazines and the like be regarded as essential war work to maintain the nation's collective sanity?

As for the old design plans, yes there were some really quirky designs, but there were also a great many very elegant and structurally efficient designs built down to weights that would be hard to achieve with a modern laser cut ply approach. As efficient flying machines they could be hard to beat. As aerobatic machines? Not so much. You want quirky - check out some of the Depron and foamboard structures and wing sections!

What these old designs does bring home is how bloomin long I've been building them!

Posted by kevin b on 13/03/2020 21:55:15:

Ok. Answer time.

If anybody was interested enough to examine the free plan, they would have found that you can't build from it. Not unless you go out and get another copy printed. The parts you connect together are printed on the same piece of paper, but on opposite sides. As I said, not the first time, but I don't think there will be many who want to build it anyway.

crook

I guess you could not hold the plan against the window and trace the parts then.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Phil Green on 12/03/2020 16:38:32:
Posted by kevin b on 12/03/2020 14:53:48:

Has anybody spotted this month's "deliberate mistake" yet ?

Not crediting John Woodfield in the 'Invader' article? I thought that was remiss.

Amply corrected in SImon's 'Coastal Soaring' article in the May edition - good man.