An Isolation Mass Build?

kc

With lots of us self isolating do we need some project to keep us occupied usefully? Something to keep the spirits up and hopefully to fly at some later time?

I will start the ball rolling by saying is there interest in a Moon Dancer 2 build? The plan is free with last months RCME and might suit many of us.

Advert

I'm in a similar boat, got a couple of builds that have been on the shelves for a while that I'm taking the opportunity to work on. Might as well make the best of a bad situation.

If doing an isolation build then something smaller and simpler would probably be more appropriate. Something like a limit EX or a mini tyro.

Just think chaps. By the time this is all over, those of you with significant other halves will have amassed shed loads of brownie points. Having done all the jobs that you promised to do, but never had the time. Plus, by that time said other half will be so fed up of you "being under her/his feet" (got to keep it politically correct) that you will be positively pushed out of the door towards the flying field. The downside is that every parcel arriving will be scrutinised, so sneaking anything in will be more difficult. That and the fact that you will actually had to do all those jobs.

smiley

Posted by kevin b on 19/03/2020 19:24:03:

Just think chaps. By the time this is all over, those of you with significant other halves will have amassed shed loads of brownie points. Having done all the jobs that you promised to do, but never had the time. Plus, by that time said other half will be so fed up of you "being under her/his feet" (got to keep it politically correct) that you will be positively pushed out of the door towards the flying field. The downside is that every parcel arriving will be scrutinised, so sneaking anything in will be more difficult. That and the fact that you will actually had to do all those jobs.

smiley

I made a start today, fixed the bath panel AND changed the gubbins in the toilet , been slow to flush for months and I've been putting it off.... I do have a parcel on the way that could cause the raised eyebrows from the Oberstleutnant...

Here's a suggestion for an isolation mass build, medical ventilators.

The government send you the parts, you build nine and the tenth you get to keep yes

Not sure how Boris would react when he found out that the cases were made of balsa and light ply, covered in iron on film and they all ran on 3S 2200 Lipo batteries.

In fairness, if he had 20 gazillion of them, he would not give a hoot, saved the nation. Nice quality control check. Owner of the nine, chooses your tithe?

I'me starting down a path, I find maidens stressful, and sorting out normal early airframe issues boring. And there are no hours available to just relax, and put some hours in, on the airframe.

Day three of lockdown. Beloved is getting cocky. She forgets, my previous occupation, The KGB used to say, "Anyone can murder, a master can do a suicide" Amateurs.

Joking, her baking skills save her. But she is an annoying creature.

Got the flap servos into a restoration on the bench.

"May you live in interesting times"

Posted by Martian on 19/03/2020 21:30:54:

Why not strike out in a different direction , build a hovercraft out of whatever materials you have and whatever power source is electric power or ic but of a brain exercise and something that sort of flies in the garden . Just a thought 😎

I like that one, Martian.

Even great on rainy & windy days... yes

Not an "idea to just fall on it's face"... go on with it...

Cheers

Chris

martian, like it, I could really use a simple plan for a child friendly hovercraft or airboat type thing that I could make out of foamboard and a 50W - 100W power source and a couple of 9g servos (or similar)

if it can scoot about on a grassy field, brilliant

Posted by Nigel R on 20/03/2020 11:43:51:

martian, like it, I could really use a simple plan for a child friendly hovercraft or airboat type thing that I could make out of foamboard and a 50W - 100W power source and a couple of 9g servos (or similar)

if it can scoot about on a grassy field, brilliant

Foam board is the way to go easy to glue with hot glue or gorrilla clear glue , you can either split the thrust about 25% for lift or use two motors one for thrust and one for lift most hovercraft use a two to one dimensional ratio ie twice as long as the width ,if you want child friendly use an edf or certainly duct the prop. A separate lift motor leaves an opportunity to chop a finger as I can testify after losing the very top of my finger last week , ask away if you want to know more 😎

Posted by McG 6969 on 20/03/2020 11:38:40:

Why not strike out in a different direction , build a hovercraft out of whatever materials you have and whatever power source is electric power or ic but of a brain exercise and something that sort of flies in the garden . Just a thought 😎

I like that one, Martian.

Even great on rainy & windy days... yes

Not an "idea to just fall on it's face"... go on with it...

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris sorry to note you are not able to get at your dog . I am already building a Hovercraft there is an ideal field out the front of the house ,stay safe stay happy

Posted by Martian on 20/03/2020 10:13:35:

Well that idea fell flat on its face don,t know why I bothered

Patience Grasshopper. Some of us got taken in by Tesco's statement that 9-10 am would be reserved for wrinklies and wobblies. Hoho! At least the weekend shop is out of the way and I popped into Halfords for some spray paints - with the weather picking up I can get back to painting my Warbird Replicas Lavochkin La7.

I have a couple of EDF units, one 50ish mm for 3S and one larger unit for 4S, and some Depron sheets. That idea could definitely be a winneryes