Printed parts in strong sun.

David Hall 9

I'm about to build my first wing using 3D printed ribs in PLA. Has anyone used such a wing in strong sunshine. I'm wondering if the ribs might soften in the heat.

I guess that I could cover the open structure in transparent or solid coloured film, if that makes a difference.

I have not flown my 3D Lab Print plane yet so I can not answer your question, but I am also interested in any answers that you get. Because of this concern, I printed using PLA plus which has a slightly higher softening temperature.

Most of our gear would suffer somewhat in excess heat David, and being thermoplastic gives us a clue.

PLA is also Biodegradable ! don't go there funsters

An ABS container can just about hold boiling water and will deform

But Solarfilm and Oracover do much the same for us

Just take care, as with all our gear, while in store

Edited By Denis Watkins on 04/04/2020 12:17:01

Posted by Ron Gray on 04/04/2020 10:21:57:

Heat will affect it, I know this is extreme but this shows what can happen:

Salvador Dali goes model flying.

I will bear this in mind when I take my Stearman out, I am yet to fly it because it was finished during lockdown.

dsc08843.jpg

Thanks for your input guys...

I had a sample of no-name ABS and printed a rib at typical ABS temps. About half way through I noticed it had lifted at the ends and across its width. I guess that bed temp is critical, mine struggled to maintain 85c in an open environment.

I hadn't heard of high temp PLA and searched for some spec....it does seem to be one good way to go. I also found some info on annealing the PLA parts which gives almost amazing results... It may not be an issue at all if the models are sensibly treated and there are means to improve it if I think that it needs it.

Edited By David Hall 9 on 04/04/2020 20:09:26

The HT PLA is I believe the same as the PLA plus I mentioned above which the Stearman was printed with, I used eSun brand.

I have printed ABS on my Anycubic Mega S but it needed a bed temp of 105 degC to stop lifting and the only way I could achieve this temp was by placing some sheets of cardboard around the machine and one on top to make a sort of enclosure. It still had some gaps in so it did not get too hot inside, it just stopped most of the air movement.

Posted by PeterF on 04/04/2020 21:08:10:

The HT PLA is I believe the same as the PLA plus I mentioned above which the Stearman was printed with, I used eSun brand.

I have printed ABS on my Anycubic Mega S but it needed a bed temp of 105 degC to stop lifting and the only way I could achieve this temp was by placing some sheets of cardboard around the machine and one on top to make a sort of enclosure. It still had some gaps in so it did not get too hot inside, it just stopped most of the air movement.

Yes, I guess that to print ABS, some way of raising the bed temp is useful if it can't maintain it in the open... My machine is the Mega M, so similar issues for ABS I guess.

The Stearman looks fantastic... I'd like to know how it flys (and how it bounces), when you manage to try it.

Posted by Barrie Lever on 04/04/2020 23:03:44:

Peter

ESUN don't mention any enhanced temperature resistance in the data for PLA +, do you have other information?

B.

Barrie, I was put onto this brand by someone else who had used it stating PLA+ was better, you have made me check the technical literature and the eSun PLA+ has similar softening performance as standard PLA, so I am wrong on this. It is not as brittle apparently. Oops. Still it has printed very well and has a good surface finish and has glued well, just not as heat resistant as I expected. Thanks for pointing this out.

Edited By PeterF on 05/04/2020 00:16:59

• 2 weeks later...

May be worth trying PETG. The nozzle temp for printing is about 230deg. So significantly higher than PLA.

It’s easier to print with than ABS as the thermal expansion is much less. I print with a bed temp of 60deg and it sticks.

Only issue is fine stringing. If you use a Bowden system then increase the retraction setting to reduce the problem.