The big question, WHEN

tigerman

Posted by leccyflyer on 03/05/2020 12:31:28:

The thread is dealing with very real issues which affect model flying..The desire to constantly close down threads simply because some people don;t want to read them should be resisted.I don;t know about anyone else but if I make an on topic post on a thread discussing a serious issue I don;t want that thread shut down because someone else makes an off topic post. The thread should continue to discuss the topic at hand, which is when we can expect to get back to model flying again.

Unfortunately it has (no surprise) strayed into politics in a good number of posts. Nothing to do with when we go flying again. I agree, "The thread should continue to discuss the topic at hand, which is when we can expect to get back to model flying again".  Hence the end of my comment " or heavily pruned again ".

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/05/2020 12:45:31

Advert

I disagree Paul. This isn't about politics as in right v left, it's about our governments ability (or lack of it) to prepare for an event such as the one we are experiencing atm.

I blamed the Conservative government for failing to implement the recommendations of Exercise Cygnus but I really doubt a Labour government would have done any better.

The debate should be about the priorities we, as citizens should expect our government to deliver on our behalf and the likes of health and education should be top priority, not the likes of HS2, Trident, Crossrail and all the other billions of expenditure programs. If there is anything left after we prioritise the likes of health & education then, fine, spend what you can on vanity projects.

Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 03/05/2020 12:43:22:

I disagree Paul. This isn't about politics as in right v left, it's about our governments ability (or lack of it) to prepare for an event such as the one we are experiencing atm.

I blamed the Conservative government for failing to implement the recommendations of Exercise Cygnus but I really doubt a Labour government would have done any better.

The debate should be about the priorities we, as citizens should expect our government to deliver on our behalf and the likes of health and education should be top priority, not the likes of HS2, Trident, Crossrail and all the other billions of expenditure programs. If there is anything left after we prioritise the likes of health & education then, fine, spend what you can on vanity projects.

Well, if that's not politics what is it? It certainly well of track for this thread!

There are many people who have been and continue to be impacted by this crisis , you only need to look at the daily news to see the pain and sacrifice that is unfolding. Many questions will need to be asked in the coming weeks, months about how every aspect was handled and lessons we need to learn. It's a debate that must happen and hopefully the world will be better prepared in the future. My opinion is that this thread is not the place to have this debate not trying to stifle the subject just saying it's something that this subject would be better debated elsewhere.

Just my thoughts , Paul.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 03/05/2020 12:43:12:

The thread is dealing with very real issues which affect model flying..The desire to constantly close down threads simply because some people don;t want to read them should be resisted.I don;t know about anyone else but if I make an on topic post on a thread discussing a serious issue I don;t want that thread shut down because someone else makes an off topic post. The thread should continue to discuss the topic at hand, which is when we can expect to get back to model flying again.

Unfortunately it has (no surprise) strayed into politics in a good number of posts. Nothing to do with when we go flying again. I agree, "The thread should continue to discuss the topic at hand, which is when we can expect to get back to model flying again".

On that very subject, when the lockdown was just announced, I recall reading posts from a (by me) well respected and influencial member of this forum suggesting he was going to achieve his allotted exercise time by mowing his local strip. To say it left me disappointed in his attitude in the face of a rapidly growing crisis was a major understatement.

Lets be realistic, there will be no opportunity for anyone to consider their former leisure activities as being appropriate in any any circumstances any time soon. Unless, of course, it involves isolating oneself. Even then, it's difficult to justify. I enjoy hill walking, what happens if I take a fall and need to call Mountain Rescue. You drive to a flying site and some fool pulls out in front of you. Police, Fire & Ambulance have to attend.

We have to be realistic, this is not going to change for a VERY long time.

I'm good to go with staying on topic, you might want to abide by it yourself, keep putting snippets in yourself, they will get challenged by others. And Yes Guilty myself.

I think there'll be an easing soon, peoples lives on the line financially, and some does involve leisure, Golf for one, will we get out ? Hope so myself, shows, open events, I doubt it.

I note the 'Wings and Wheels' show side bar ad has finally been taken down. Now rescheduled for 2021. Hope the pre booked ticket I (already) have will be valid!

Will be interesting to see what other nations are allowing e.g. new Zealand where the 'bug' seemingly has been contained for the moment(?). The regular N.Z. YouTube modeller ('RCModelreviews' will perhaps let the world know in one of his videos.

I doubt the dates are valid as John says we won't know until announced in the Gov daily updates, but the phased approach is interesting if half right we may be part of first outdoor activity groups to be let loose with obvious constraints. We can only hope and in the mean time carry on building 👍

Paul.

Now that we're done with the politics, I'll express my opinion.

The question being asked by this thread is "when will we be allowed back flying?". This leads me to think that as soon as the lockdown ends, there will be a flood of people rushing outside to play (like we saw in Spain). This concerns me, because other than the lockdown ending, nothing else will have changed. The virus will still be out there and people will potentially still get infected and die.

Perhaps the question we should be asking ourselves rather than "when will we be allowed back flying?", should be "When will it be safe for us to go back flying?". I believe that the answer to these two question is quite different. All I'm saying is take care chaps. Most of you are of the age where you will not bounce back from this.

Wife went to town on the bus other day, she wanted to, complete bag of nerves when she got back, never again she said. crook She had gloves n mask on.

Be weird when we get back out, no handshakes/kissing, sticking yer nose in other peoples models/snap box.

So what will happen ? People follow their own course, clubs introduce best practice ? Are some gonna give grief to the BMFA for guidance ? Opinions ?

The change in the proteins that line the inside of the lungs is one of the reasons that has been cited as explaining the different intensity of the effects of Covid-19 on children and youngsters compared to us oldies. Apparently a lifetime of dealing with pollution changes the nature of those proteins, which are easier for the virus to attach to and enter the epithelial cells. I don;t know how valid that is, but there have been some studies pointing that way. The upshot is that the model flying demographic in this country - us oldies - are at significantly more risk of death or very serious consequences compared to the youngsters.

So that is a very important distinction to make, as Gary said - when will it be safe for us to resume flying, rather than when will we be allowed to take a chance on doing so?

On the subject of 'us' oldies, I don't know if anyone picked up on this but there was some interesting research out of China and France concerning smokers. Apparently, in both countries the percentage of smokers catching Coronavirus in comparison to the percentage of smokers in the population was approx 50%. In China 26% of the population smoke but only 13% of those contracting Coronavirus were smokers. Similar results from France although both percentages were lower. Downside is that if you're a smoker and DO catch Coronavirus your chances are slim.

Such is the interest that the French are trialing Nicotine patches. The theory is that the ACE receptors that Coronavirus attaches to are the same receptors that nicotine attach to and that the nicotine may block (partially) the Coronavirus.

As a gentleman of a certain age, I was a smoker for most of my earlier years. Gave up ciggies for cigars and now vape. I wonder what percentage of forum members smoke/vape being as we tend to be of that dangerous 'certain age'.

I could probably safely go flying right now. There's a field we walk through every morning about 200 metres away from my workshop door(150 of them across another couple of fields) that has no livestock in it. The grass is still short fom the sheep that were in it until just before the lockdown and the ground is hard. I've used it before with, for example, my FunCub. I can carry the model assembled, my transmitter and 2 or 3 batteries easily but I won't because I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to (trying) to do the 'right thing', though it IS slightly frustrating. I even took some tools with me this morning to repair a gate catch where the screws were coming out - a screwdrive and some cyano to make sure they don't come loose again soon fixed that.

Of course it's not only the flying I miss but the company of like-minded individuals with a bit of banter thrown in. This will end eventually and many of us will be maidening models we've almost forgotten we've built

Geoff

Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 03/05/2020 12:57:23:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 03/05/2020 12:43:12:

Unfortunately it has (no surprise) strayed into politics in a good number of posts. Nothing to do with when we go flying again. I agree, "The thread should continue to discuss the topic at hand, which is when we can expect to get back to model flying again".

On that very subject, when the lockdown was just announced, I recall reading posts from a (by me) well respected and influencial member of this forum suggesting he was going to achieve his allotted exercise time by mowing his local strip. To say it left me disappointed in his attitude in the face of a rapidly growing crisis was a major understatement.

Lets be realistic, there will be no opportunity for anyone to consider their former leisure activities as being appropriate in any any circumstances any time soon. Unless, of course, it involves isolating oneself. Even then, it's difficult to justify. I enjoy hill walking, what happens if I take a fall and need to call Mountain Rescue. You drive to a flying site and some fool pulls out in front of you. Police, Fire & Ambulance have to attend.

We have to be realistic, this is not going to change for a VERY long time.

Doesn't seem very realistic to me.

Our local council maintained park grass was being cut today. They're obviously working now, and getting things ready for when the lock-down is lifted. Looks like they did the pitch n' putt area. Not yet done the football pitches though - distinction maybe because golf can be played whilst social distancing but football can't?

Lot's more people out on the roads today than there were last week, so people are definitely tiring of lockdown. I note on HERE though, that confirmed cases in my town have risen from 300 to 500 over the last week or so. Feels like a storm brewing to me.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 05/05/2020 17:00:52