Returning Novice

Hello,

Many years ago I was involved with RC model flying. I used to fly a Gazelle, which was rebuilt frequently. To be honest, I never progressed very far with the actual flying, but am keen to do more now, and learn properly.

I have a brand new, in box JR Max 66 TX and RX (probably antique now!) and an unbuilt Chriss Foss glider. Not sure which phase it is, but I bought it about 25 years ago! I'm very keen to start building this kit and hit the slopes. (I'll be joining my local gliding club Ivinghoe Soaring Association as I live in Milton Keynes so the Ashridge Estate / Ivinghoe is a short distance away.)

If I progress to powered flight it will be electric. I've done IC, and while there are advantages, the time is right for electric. I suspect it would be with a Chriss Foss model, I WOT4 of some description.

So, hello to everybody and I look forward to learning from you all!

Advert

Greetings from slightly South of Ken (North Yorkshire).

Leccy flying seems to be a thing for those of us of a certain age (not old enough for diesel, too young for kerosene).

If you are a "builder" there are plenty of electric powered plans available to play with.

Hi Cathal, welcome.

Out of interest I just googled your Tx......35mhz I see, nowt wrong with that. I am in the process of getting a lot of my older gear up and running, just bought a Hitec Optic 6 TX, I wish I never sold my original one as it had the module that you could dial up all the channels on. RX's still available in a lot of places, but 2.4 Ghz has the lions share of the modellers.

D.D.

Thank you all for your kind words.

To Dwain Dibley especially, I've since found out that JR have gone out of business, although the equipment can still be serviced, for now. At the moment I've no thoughts to changing my TX, as I'm sure it's more than good enough for me, and its unused. From memory, the Max 66 has two model memories and can be used with helicopters, so quite versatile.

My initial aim is to build my glider kit, then learn to fly it responsibly. I may return to powered flight after that. See how things go.

CG

Cathal

Electronic storage is all down to humidity. As long as it was in a dry atmosphere (particularly if it was cold) then it will last almost indefinitely.

The Tx sticks and servos use variable resistance 'pots' that can give trouble but sometimes just 'exercising' them restorers normal function.

I regularly use a Futaba 35 Mhz Skysport 6A Tx that must be at least 20 years old.

The problem now with 35mhz is that the few people using it never seem to bother with frequency control, so the chance of getting shot down is high unless you really know all your fellow fliers in the vicinity.

My view is that it's not worth spending any money on an old Tx as 2.4 ghz is so cheap now and better spec with almost zero chance of being shot down. So not worth paying good money for a new nicad. I also feel that equip prices will rocket soon as the current situation procedes and they will never be as low again. I hope I am wrong ......

I get your point KC, but in my case the on!y way to use some old models, is to use 35mhz as they have 4 in 1 dedicated boards, p!us my indoor falcon gear is 35. In Cathals case, if he takes to it he can upgrade to 2.4 the if he so desires.I

I agree also with the need to check channels, I still use my trusty channel checker.

D.D.

Thank you to everybody for their kind words.

I've dug out my unbuilt kit - a Chriss Foss Phase 6 Sport glider. I've started to buy some tools to help with the build, and hope to start on that soon. I'll probably get a build board to ensure the fuss is straight! I've used one previously and I think it helped. I may even do a build log as I progress.

Can't put my hand to my radio gear just yet, but a journey to the loft beckons for that!

CG