Any chance of a last unread post button

Mods,

It's always a bit of a bind to find the last post I have read in a thread. Other forums have a facility to go straight to the last post a logged-in member has read. I assume this means the use of cookies that this site already uses so how about extending this to give this really useful feature.

Thanks,

Andy.

Similar features such as lists of unread and most recent posts, like buttons, links defaulting to new windows - all features of your average website over the last 10 years have proved beyond the abilities of the site programmers in the past so good luck on that one. The site is what it is, love it or leave it.

• 2 months later...

I was just about to make a request, and noticed this thread. The option to go to the last page of a thread by default is useless if, as Bob has said, one hasn't yet read the first page.

What I was hoping to see is functionality which I see on other web sites:-

1. New threads (i.e. new since I last logged off) highlighted;

2. The ability to jump to first unread (by me) post in those threads;

3. Posts in the thread made by the Original Poster to be identified.

I hope Doc Marten, in the second post in this thread, is wrong frown

Believe me, Allan, your wish list is unquestionably shared by all members and mods and has been for a long time...smile

I understand that, some time back, the forum owners looked at an updated package but encountered insurmountable problems in migrating the archive of posts and material across to new architecture. There is a huge amount of information in the archive which we would not wish to lose.

Unfortunately, to use a phrase which has recently appeared in the Press, 'it is what it is' - and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future....face 4

Pete

Surely we don't accept that 'it is what it is', given it's current source laugh It does surprise me that present-day computing technology is unable to migrate a database from one system architecture to another, or that system vendors are not knocking at your door offering to do it.

Anyway, the technical deficiencies of this forum are more than made up for by its contributors, so I'll stick with it for a while.

If it is 'too difficult' to migrate old data to a new system why don't they just keep the existing one as an archive and introduce a new one? Tthe old posts will still be there and I'm sure that users wouldn't mind setting themselves up in the new system (if that data can't be ported - but I would find that unbelievable) as they would welcome better software.