Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Because you are spraying at low pressure and with tiny quantities of paint , you can spray details like exhaust stains and weathering in doors , especially if you just use watered down B and Q touch up paints like I do . They dont smell .

Even my Misses doesnt moan about it or hit me with anything . 

Listen chaps , give it a go . you can practice on card first and I promise you it is very gentle and east to do . 

For £20 plus a few connectors , you can have a lot of fun . 

(Ron , thanks for the link ) 

I did try to reply to your post Pauls but it must have disappeared into the ether.

My question was how do you do the panel lines on the fuz? have tried elastic band but is difficult getting the bands to remain parallel.Is there an easier way? 

ps Like your choice of footwear. Shear CLASS

Edited by Graham R

David, Enjoy your journey with the airbrush. Suggest you practice on some card 1st. What type of paints are you going to use? There will be lots of testing with air pressure, paint thinning, nozzle size etc. The main thing is to keep your airbrush clean. I used to use little brush cleaners, but they can scratch and damage very small nozzles and wear out very quickly. I have recently invested in a cheapish ultrasonic cleaner. It makes the job of cleaning so much easier. what size nozzle comes with the brush?

8 hours ago, Graham R said:

I did try to reply to your post Pauls but it must have disappeared into the ether.

My question was how do you do the panel lines on the fuz? have tried elastic band but is difficult getting the bands to remain parallel.Is there an easier way? 

ps Like your choice of footwear. Shear CLASS

Lines....

Well now there's a task!

I use either card or strips of flexible plastic and a wonkey eye.

I take a line drawing, scale the dimensions to fit our model, this does not have to be exactly perfect but gives something to give the illusions of the real thing, Mark in pencil lightly till I have what looks good then use the marker etc.

Remember that the model is Not exact scale ( flap/aileron size) so use a little artistic license and move lines to look the part. That's why I use pencil first.

Look for any lines that are full length or at least run most of the fuz to give a reference point to start from.

Same with the wing. It is time consuming but the results are rewarding.

8 hours ago, Graham R said:

David, Enjoy your journey with the airbrush. Suggest you practice on some card 1st. What type of paints are you going to use? There will be lots of testing with air pressure, paint thinning, nozzle size etc. The main thing is to keep your airbrush clean. I used to use little brush cleaners, but they can scratch and damage very small nozzles and wear out very quickly. I have recently invested in a cheapish ultrasonic cleaner. It makes the job of cleaning so much easier. what size nozzle comes with the brush?

I will watch lots of YouTube clips for tips on howto techniques etc and do lots of practising. I have actually purchased two brushes! Both Mr Hobby. One is the PS-289 with a 0.3mm nozzle - this will be my detail brush, also for plastic kits. The other is the PS-290 which has a 0.5mm nozzle, trigger action and comes with both fan cap and round cap. That will be my coverage brush - it's almost but not quite a spray gun. Paints wise I will likely try to find the cheapest option I can - screen wash and craft acrylic is an option as is match pots.

I also recently purchased a revell 1:32 spitfire plastic kit to use as a reference for the  wb spit I'm slowly building... That will be useful to practice on at a smaller scale once I've got the basics down...

6 minutes ago, Jonathan S said:

All,

Just re-iterating the Flap question as I think it might have got lost in the Airbrush discussion.

How and when do I remove the Flaps from the Ribs?  Bit worried that I might have gone too far with the sheeting and missed an obvious step.

thanks all

You did mark through the top skin for your cut line? check my previously post on the order of marking and cutting 

2 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

I have actually purchased two brushes! Both Mr Hobby. One is the PS-289 with a 0.3mm nozzle - this will be my detail brush, also for plastic kits. The other is the PS-290 which has a 0.5mm nozzle, trigger action and comes with both fan cap and round cap. That will be my coverage brush - it's almost but not quite a spray gun. Paints wise I will likely try to find the cheapest option I can - screen wash and craft acrylic is an option as is match pots.

You've bought some nice brushes there David, many people go for the cheap option which is fine if you're prepared to do some work on them but yours will be ready out of the box and are well made Japanese products. Once you start delving into the black art of airbrushing on YouTube you'll be on it for hours marvelling at the skill of some of the masters and in fairness, beginners too. It cannot be said often enough .....practice, practice, practice and experiment. Good luck and enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil McCavity said:

You've bought some nice brushes there David, many people go for the cheap option which is fine if you're prepared to do some work on them but yours will be ready out of the box and are well made Japanese products. Once you start delving into the black art of airbrushing on YouTube you'll be on it for hours marvelling at the skill of some of the masters and in fairness, beginners too. It cannot be said often enough .....practice, practice, practice and experiment. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks Phil, yes I think they're pretty much the same as the iwatas going at almost twice the price. Rumour has it that they are made in the same factory... The delivery van is one hour away and I'm very excited!!! I love nicely machined items. Similarly when I get a new set of brakes or derailleur - I spend a bit of time just enjoying the finesse of their manufacture!!

24 minutes ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

You did mark through the top skin for your cut line? check my previously post on the order of marking and cutting 

Paul, I think I have read it correctly might have just missed a step or an understanding. 

I have marked the flaps on the top with a pin in the location you indicated. Then drawn the lines etc. 

My concern is the flab ribs are attached to the wing ribs.  I have not detached them yet.  When I sheet the underside I will have measures the bottom cut line.  Cutting the skins is fine(ish) but the wing ribs and flap ribs will still be joined.  How is this linkage broken without damage to anything.  

Hope that makes my question a bit clearer... 

6 minutes ago, David Hazell 1 said:

Thanks Phil, yes I think they're pretty much the same as the iwatas going at almost twice the price. Rumour has it that they are made in the same factory...

Not sure they are as not all the parts are interchangeable but that doesn't detract from their quality at all, they are a match for H&S, Iwata and Badger.

44 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

Not sure they are as not all the parts are interchangeable but that doesn't detract from their quality at all, they are a match for H&S, Iwata and Badger.

Phil, I think your right they are meant to be similar I know a Proffessional model builder (Plastic) that uses them now as his airbrush of choice.

Flap rib detail.pdf

1 hour ago, Jonathan S said:

Paul, I think I have read it correctly might have just missed a step or an understanding. 

I have marked the flaps on the top with a pin in the location you indicated. Then drawn the lines etc. 

My concern is the flab ribs are attached to the wing ribs.  I have not detached them yet.  When I sheet the underside I will have measures the bottom cut line.  Cutting the skins is fine(ish) but the wing ribs and flap ribs will still be joined.  How is this linkage broken without damage to anything.  

Hope that makes my question a bit clearer... 

Jonathan.

The only thing holding the end section of the ribs to the main ribs are the temporary stand offs. Once the have been removed after sheeting the top of the wing it's only the top skin holding them in place.

Edited by Paul Johnson 4