Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

Posted by David Hazell 1 on 03/11/2020 12:49:50:
Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 03/11/2020 12:40:45:

Aww come on David is that all you done so far...

I opened the boxes and had a sniff... smiley

Nothing beats that smell of freshly lasered balsa in the morning. Wonders if there's now a business model to bottle it.....

devil

Posted by David Hazell 1 on 03/11/2020 13:02:43:
Posted by SA Allan on 03/11/2020 12:31:10:

Hello,

I've been watching with keen interest , the warbird kits really are super.

If I could be ask , what are the box dimensions ? I would like to get a friend to bring a kit along next time he flys over.

Thanks

960mm x 180mm x 160mm or thereabouts...

I mean 960 x 200 x 160

Just had Graham and Sweep drop in..... apparently I've been slacking!!

So you balsa sniffers to date the build has gone very quickly, even without a manual, drawing and LABEL.

Wing Sheeting.

This has listed 10 sheets of 1/16 balsa, there is actually 11 in the box.

Even so please be frugal with it because should you damage any you will find it tight to complete the skinning, without trawling the model shops for any stock at the moment.

Laying the wing on it's stand off tabs on a flat surface start with the top and fit the first sheet in line with the main spar centre line. This will help the leading edge sheet when you come to add it.

top sheet 1.jpg

Those damn feet again!

Now you may take the sheet to R1. I did not as I still had to sort out how I was going to utilise the early R1 with it's cut out.

I then worked towards the leading edge. Keep the trimmings!!

top le sheet trimed keep.jpg

and finally the trailing edge. You will need to add a small piece of 1/16 as shown, I have written on it how big.

top te and infill.jpg

Trailing edge trimmed, leave a couple of mm extra to allow a nice tapered trailing edge.

top te trimmed keep.jpg

top te trimmed underside.jpg

The next is something you need to take your time and get it as accurate as you can, please do not rush this.

You need to mark the cut lines for the top skin for both the aileron and flap.

Using a pin/needle push through between the aileron spars from the bottom through the top skin.

Do this at both ends of the aileron. With the Pin/Needles through turn the wing over onto a flat surface then using a long ruler as a guide on those pins draw a line on the top of the wing skin.

Next using the same method mark the cut line for the flap. This is as marked in the next picture. Please pay attention to where to mark.

making flap top cut marks.jpg

Onwards

Once you have marked the top sheet, time to sheet the bottom.

1st sheet on underside.jpg

Check that there is not too much weight on the wing that may create a bow on it check the trailing edge with a long ruler to make sure.

At this point also measure the flap spar centres to aid in marking the skin for cutting.

measure bottom flap cut line 1 .jpg

measure bottom flap cut marks 2.jpg

Use YOUR measurements NOT MINE!

If the eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted, the torsion bar link has been left off. This is to allow you to remove the flap to complete it, cover , fit the hinges, and lastly add that bar. If you do not it will not allow you to remove the flap as it fouls  R2.

flap torsion bar located.jpg

flap torsion bar pivot line.jpg

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 03/11/2020 17:12:25

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 03/11/2020 17:18:57

The Nerve racking bit.. cut out aileron and flap...

With the flap cut the top and then the bottom NOT right through from the top!!!!!!

Otherwise you will cut off the ribs.

DONT RUSH Take your time!!!!

aileron and flap cut out.jpg

next sheet the top front of the flap, the curved piece can be formed by wetting and GENTLY forming around a broom handle or similar and allowed to dry overnight as it is a small tight radius for 1/16" sheet.

flap radius sheeted.jpg

Trimmed and mylar hinges fitted and pinned. Make the pins ONLY long enough to go through the 1/16" + mylar + 1/ 8" no longer especially near to where the torsion bar will be glued.

flap trimmed.jpg

The flap was temporarily fitted to show why although fiddly we chose this method.

flap fitted.jpg

flap extension.jpg

Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 03/11/2020 16:49:19:

IMPORTANT

Okay I just checked back on my posts and realised that I had not mentioned that the flap spars should NOT be glued to each other

They are glued to each of their adjoining wing ribs only

Hey but that should be in the manual which you all have and have read BEFORE staring the build eh?

blush

Reading it now - if only all manuals were like this - blooming marvellous!