Just saying hello!

Greetings one and all!

I am a newbie on this forum and have yet to find my way around and a suitable milieu. In all other respects 'new' could not describe me.

I learned to fly RC back in the 1970s, building from kits, then started designing my own models in the mid '80s, started in electric power about 10 years later and happily gave up the noisy and smelly for something altogether more peaceable.

Over the years I have had something over 30 of my designs published, mostly via Traplet (a name that I can happily mention here without being lynched since they ran themselves out of business!) but I think only 2 here - A Curtiss Hawk 75 and a glow-powered Jet Provost.

Over the years I have first noticed how vastly over scale speed we traditionally fly our 'scale' aircraft, then grown sick of it and decided to do something about it, designing lighter airframes that can achieve scale speed so as to complete the impression a scale model ought to give.

I enjoy a challenge such as my recent 1/10th scale Short Stirling offered in terms of Gouge flaps and a DIY retract system true to the original design concept. This was simply made with materials from the local model shop (long may they live) and although it suffered quite a few failures during development, was most satisfying once working right.

Other recent designs are the deHavilland Leopard Moth, Dragonfly, Fox Moth and the Percival Q6. My plans are mostly available from Sarik Hobbies. I hope by joining here to be able to help anyone building from my plans or struggling to get to grips with electric power. Or who knows I might be able to design a rarely-seen model for you to build - if there's enough life left in me!

I look forward to talking to you.

Best wishes,

Robin

Advert

Thanks D.D. and Martian, I'm here to help. I think I've achieved a little over the years and it'd be a shame to take secrets to the grave that others should have benefited from.

I have been on RCGroups for a number of years (over 4,000 posts) but it's time to spread a little.

Best wishes,

Robin

Welcome Robin. I think you would normally be flying at Old Warden Scale Day around this time of year........ and I would be spectating as usual..........

I am sure you will get many different ideas for scale designs and I suggest a DH 71 Tiger Moth monoplane racer ( not bipe ) in a moderate size for electric. Maybe something that would fly on a 4S 3000 would suit a lot of people? Simple but just that bit different, or has it been done for electric?

Thanks for the welcome.

Are scale modelers rare on this forum Eric? There seemed to be plenty on RCGroups - though a very high proportion thought buying a foamie and doing a paint job on it was scale modeling. What's your cup of tea? (I have yet to hunt out if there is a blog spot allocated to each member to check on things like that)

Ah, those were the days KC! Actually I have had a two-year layoff which I spent as carer for my wife, who had Alzheimers and died at the end of Nov '19. I am only now fully back into the swing of design and build and renewing my acquaintance with the workshop - and models of course. Finished off my G44 Widgeon last month and have now started repair and conversion of my 144" DH114 Heron built originally as G-ANXB to series 2 G-AOTI.

Funny you should mention the DH 71... I drew it up about five years back at a span of around 60" if I remember correctly. I have never got around to building it. It has two challenges both of which involve the bracing wires - the trickiest being the fact that the lower wire terminates on the wheel hub - and the springing happens inside the wheels. I did say I enjoy a challenge! - But I have figured out how to do it. Fancy being prototype builder for it perchance? I think it should fly very happily on about half the power you have in mind.

It will be a while before I get round to it (despite lockdown doing wonders for the world supply of round tuits!) as I also have a DHC4 Caribou to finish and a Petlyakov Pe-2 only half built. Then I also have designs virtually to building stage for Yak 9, Sopwith Dolphin (there's a contrast for you!), DH Hornet Moth and several others. Life really is too short!

Best wishes,

Robin

Hello Robin and welcome to the forum.

I read the article on your Short Stirling in Model World, it was around the same time I finished mine. I was very impressed with your scale fowler flaps and undercarriage, they must have been a real challenge to make.

I opted for the easier route as my metalworking skills are a bit limited plus it was my first design, nothing like jumping in at the deep end.

dsc05700 (800x533).jpg

72" span, flown once repaired once.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robin, there is a good mix of modellers on this forum, but my preference is scale mainly ww2 I am currently building the Dennis Bryant Hawker Fury 1 There is a mass build started by Danny Fenton on the workshop forum. Like you I was caring for my wife up till last Feb when she passed away with COPD, I rejoined the local flying club last summer and finished off some models which had been put away in the loft. I started building a C.A.P. Mosquito a few years back from the plan not a kit., I built one back in the 80's and it flew ok on 2 O.S.25 fsr's , looking through the Sarik lists I found your model listed 64" span, the C.A.P. is 63 so I bought the vac. formed parts for yours and I am adapting them to fit. I think it would have been better to build your version but I had most of the cap one built.. I have made a lot of changes and used depron a lot.to reduce the weight for electric power. I hope to get back to it one day, as you say life really is too short.

Cheers Eric.

Posted by Robert Parker on 05/06/2020 15:44:15:

Hello Robin and welcome to the forum.

I read the article on your Short Stirling in Model World, it was around the same time I finished mine. I was very impressed with your scale fowler flaps and undercarriage, they must have been a real challenge to make.

I opted for the easier route as my metalworking skills are a bit limited plus it was my first design, nothing like jumping in at the deep end.

dsc05700 (800x533).jpg

72" span, flown once repaired once.

Regards

Robert

The Stirling didn't have Fowler flaps, it had Gouge flaps. Subtle but important difference in operation. And one design was by an American and the other by a Brit....

Hi Robin, welcome.

I built your Curtis Hawk a good few years ago. It's a super model & has had lots of use over the years. I have just finished repairing the wings again for the umpteenth time. Lots of flights left in it yet. Lockdown project is to finish off / repair all the stuff cluttering ing up the workshop. Looking forward to seeing your future projects

John

img_1186.jpg

Quite right Alan, Gouge was the designer of the Stirling's flap system. The same as on the Sunderland.

It looks as if you made a nice job of your Stirling Robert. My metalworking skills are also very limited - partly because I have no lathe, just basically woodworking tools which have to be turned to other uses. I do have files but I rely on bashing piano wire with a hammer to make bends and do connections by gluing brass tube onto wire, flattening the ends and drilling the flats for bolting together. All my Stirling's undercarriage was made by these rather pedestrian methods. Anyway I figured that if I could do it then any other modeler would be able to so I hoped my efforts would encourage a few more Stirlings to appear on our British flying fields. It appears that they did, but in your case not quite as I had expected. So what did you do for retracts?

As it happens I have also scaled my design down to about 70" with the idea of using the much cheaper 3mm foam skinning method. The undercart took up an entire A1 sheet for the original and I scaled it down to suit. You're welcome to a PDF copy if you fancy a retrofit.

So dare I ask what occasioned the repair?

Robin

Posted by Robin Fowler on 05/06/2020 15:38:59:

Hi Martian,

Yes, the article tells me it was plan number MW3681, and I believe Sarik are still using the Traplet numbering system. So you are another design, build and fly type! - How did yours go?

Robin

Edited By Robin Fowler on 05/06/2020 15:39:29

thanks for that Robin. I love scale type not necessarily warbirds I enjoy building from plans but I really liked the Zenith and couldn't get a plan so drew my own first attempt to fly didn't take in to account the flying tailplane consequently it reared up before gaining flying speed and stalled not to much damage repaired it but have not tried to fly it again. I,m a prolific builder so much so I don,t get round to flying them and time goes quick. Here is a pic of my Zenith

dscf0556.jpg

Hi John, Thank you for the welcome - and the blast from the past.

My Hawk had a HUGE amount of flying... I believe I wore out the brushes on more than one motor! I think the only one I flew more was my little 48" Beaufighter (2x speed 400s). A real delight.

I imagine you will have used a brushless motor though?

Best wishes,

Robin

Martian, I too enjoy building most, but one has to fly to get the ultimate satisfaction from all that time in the workshop! I think mine has only flown half a dozen times. Getting the controls co-ordinated seems the big challenge. It goes from lethargic to twitchy in no time at all.

That tailplane gets more comments than any other characteristic of the 701... 'Hey mister you glued the tail on upside-down!'

Time to ask how one posts pictures on this forum - I've had a look at the two picture icons, one wants a URL and the other references an album. I assume that pictures have to go into an album first (so they can be modded?) but don't see how to upload them. I must have missed something... (nothing unusual in that!)

Robin

Hi Robin first know the source of your images i.e folder on your pc or laptop when logged into the forum at the top of the page look for the album open it and create a new album name it however is appropriate click add images you will have a new page listing up to five browse for files click number one and navigate to the folder containing your pics select a picture repeat up to another four files when complete save changes now open your thread on top of dialog box look for camera symbol click that you will get taken to your album page select album select picture enter picture now in thread simples .😎

Hi Robin,

My mistake, with guage flaps, end of a long week working.

I used E-Flite retract units but cut the main leg down to around 20mm then used a 12 x 12 steel bar with three holes drilled in it as shown.

dsc00143 (1024x681).jpg

dsc01498 (800x533).jpg

With the centre hole off set to allow for full retraction

dsc01502 (800x533).jpg

2 pairs sprung oleos drilled to accept the brass cross bracing.

The 4mm "pins" were driven into the 3.8mm holes using a blow torch and hammer, I set my saw bench alight doing so!!! I am relying on expansion of metal to grip the pins so when cooled is solid and this has worked.

dsc05343 (800x533).jpg

From the front view they are pretty convincing, from the die they are lacking somewhat. I did not make any doors which make s it look more exposed.

As to the repair,

stirling ready to go.jpg

lined up and ready to go on maiden

dsc09135.jpg

Just airbourne just a few moments later she turns to the left towards the pits, I chopped the throttles and she touched down nicely still off centre of the patch, I did not notice until too late the windsock pole (15mm copper tube)

dsc09139.jpg

This resulted in some damage to the leading edge, a pulled u/c and damage to the stabiliser, even the full size Stirling suffered u/c failure on her maiden.

Since the maiden I have tried again but had problems with an ESC, I will try again whenever we are allowed to fly again here in Wales, though I need to get some stick time in, now very rusty having not flown for some time.

I did a build posting here, "Design and Build Short Stirling", if you want to see how I got this far and if building another I would strengthened the stabiliser with some spruce across the span. I would welcome your thoughts.

Regards

Robert

Robert, that was unfortunate. I guess that was one reason we fly with spotters - better chance of avoiding hazards.

I don't think I would worry about gear doors if not going the whole hog. You would have to decide if you merely want to close the hole or get a closer simulation of scale on the ground - in which case you would have to double hinge the doors so they hang clear of the nacelle and lift up on retraction. Possible to do, but is it worth the trouble?

Anyway well done for choosing the Stirling for first o.d. subject - Mk3 as well, with the full turret count. Are you aware of the retracting belly turret?... Now doing that would definitely be above the call of duty!

I would caution against using any strengthening at the tail end of any model. It can get you into balance problems. I also hate spruce in particular - there are several woods that are readily available, are lighter, more flexible and generally preferable. If the size of balsa you design looks a bit weak, just add a bit of size. I think it is always a mistake to try and design for some freak accident as the extra weight involved loses performance in the air and wastes power.

Martian, thank you for the upload walk-through - I'll try it later (Just waiting for glue to dry at the moment).

Best wishes,

Robin

Robert

An impressive build.

Whilst I can fully appreciate the reason behind the layout of your undercarriage it is generating a horrendous lever on the retract servo.

The full size, although with a hugely complex action, was at least fully braced spreading the vertical and horizontal loads between the front and rear spars.

I must admit i can't immediately think of an easy solution but I fear a 'pulled' U/C will always be a risk.

After a pause while I got to grips with editing pictures down to an acceptable size, labelling them and (thanks to Martian) getting them into an album, now let's see if I can get them to show up here...

I have to stress these are just as part of my introduction to you so you can see some of what I have got up to in the past... that's for those who don't know. These are not an exhaustive list of published plans but quite a few I don't have decent photos for any more.

This is a selection I particularly like. There are more in my album 'Robin Fowler's designs' for those who want to delve further.

I expect there is a more appropriate place to display stuff like this. I'll get the hang of the forum's little ways eventually!

Best wishes,

Robin

zenair 701.jpgaviocar.jpgfox moth.jpggemini.jpgmessenger.jpgdragonfly.jpgtrislander.jpgstirling.jpgprentice 00.jpg

Edited By Robin Fowler on 07/06/2020 15:51:37