Is the hobby dying/dead

Tony H

Advert

I partially agree with the subtitle to this thread - very few model shops around (I do have one half an hour away, but they don't do anything for aircraft).

BUT - no I.C.? If no-one wants engines, then why are they all getting ridiculous bids on eBay? I've lost count of the number I've been watching that have attracted bids way beyond what I'd consider reasonable for a used engine bought sight unseen.

Posted by Dave S. on 29/01/2021 12:53:58:

I partially agree with the subtitle to this thread - very few model shops around (I do have one half an hour away, but they don't do anything for aircraft).

BUT - no I.C.? If no-one wants engines, then why are they all getting ridiculous bids on eBay? I've lost count of the number I've been watching that have attracted bids way beyond what I'd consider reasonable for a used engine bought sight unseen.

Different parts of the country must have different experiences Dave, as my two clubs are I/C out in the sticks,

And I know personally just 2 serious leccy flyers, meaning all their models are electric.

Big bonus with electric flying near towns is that no-one knows you are there.

Where out in the sticks, I know whole clubs fly IC.

What proportion of flying clubs encourage / allow FPV quadcopter pilots / races? Perhaps it's just my impression but it feels like there's a bit of "us and them" mentality which seems a shame especially as FPV flyers tend to be younger. Currently I'm mostly flying quads but have a shed and garage full of r/c planes and strongly suspect that in a few years I'll gravitate away from frenetic racing and fly more traditional r/c. My concern is that all the flying clubs will have closed by then!

Denis - I'm between town and country, living in an Oxfordshire village The nearest club is Witney, but they are all-electric due to restrictions at their flying site. I flew there a few times last year. I am also a member of the Oxford club, where I can fly IC but only at certain times. I can also fly IC near Swindon, but haven't had a chance because of the lockdown as yet. I've flown IC models for decades, and am too set in my ways to change - though I have tried, it just felt that there was something lacking.

Posted by Ben B on 29/01/2021 14:49:27:

What proportion of flying clubs encourage / allow FPV quadcopter pilots / races? Perhaps it's just my impression but it feels like there's a bit of "us and them" mentality which seems a shame especially as FPV flyers tend to be younger. Currently I'm mostly flying quads but have a shed and garage full of r/c planes and strongly suspect that in a few years I'll gravitate away from frenetic racing and fly more traditional r/c. My concern is that all the flying clubs will have closed by then!

Ours does, we have no race track though, lads have made one on occasion. BMFA has some bumf on it I believe.

Everything changes, model flying included. Resistance is useless.

From a previous post I gather BMFA numbers are slowly declining. In the last few years anyway. Why? It perhaps never represented the majority of flyers, certainly not non-competitive non-rc flyers. I don't recall many SMAE members when I joined the old 'green hut on the Common' Southampton Model Aircraft Club which also flew often at Stoney Cross and Beaulieu.,

With the advent of multi-rotor 'drones' the number of flyers must surely be increasing as they are very popular. Though many are not interested in joining ANY organisation, some will join one sooner or later, particularly those who have decided to try a 'regular' model plane. The most obvious one being the BMFA. Which will therefore increase the BMFA numbers.

Therefore I think the attention given to attracting 'young' people is a red herring. It doesn't matter how old they are unless they are all at the point of dying off. And I haven't so far seen any really old 'drone' flyers.

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 29/01/2021 15:23:17

We regularly, without fail see topics on here headed, "Hello all", "Advice needed for newby" and "Another returnee" with many more of a similar theme, if the hobby really is on deaths door those type of posts would be far less prevalent. Calm down everyone there's plenty of life left in it yet. Minor obstacles like taking a laughably easy test online and paying £9 for the year make no difference to someone wanting to take part in a hobby where the initial set up and running costs are known to be high and far in excess of the price of a servo per annum.

Edited By Phil McCavity on 29/01/2021 15:56:45

I think it's fair to say that most objections to legislation, testing and registration come from established flyers. I don't recall any potential recruit to the hobby being taken aback by our club's A test for solo flight requirement - they appear to accept the idea that they have a standard to aim at as part and parcel of the learning process.

The best advice I've heard recently is not to present any of this as a barrier to a newcomer - simply explain that there are a few simple legal requirements to comply with but they'll be made clear during training.

I agree with your points Martin, there's no way that we can complain our way out of this - however it doesn't make what's happened 100% right and although thankfully, we can carry on with very little extra burdon or restrictions, it is irksome to 'established flyers', the vast majority of whom have been quite safely minding their own business for decades and do question the motivation behind the legislation and it's effectiveness to control illegal/irresponsible flyers.

It's all kept a lot of people very busy over the last few years if nothing elsewink

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 29/01/2021 16:02:31:

I think it's fair to say that most objections to legislation, testing and registration come from established flyers. I don't recall any potential recruit to the hobby being taken aback by our club's A test for solo flight requirement - they appear to accept the idea that they have a standard to aim at as part and parcel of the learning process.

The best advice I've heard recently is not to present any of this as a barrier to a newcomer - simply explain that there are a few simple legal requirements to comply with but they'll be made clear during training.

Spot on!!

Is the Hobby dying

I am absolutely sure that the BMFA has a understanding of what can be anticipated, Every year as part of the Budgeting process I would be surprised if past data is not used to graph a projection of the anticipated numbers over a short period into the future, say 5 years as a guess. Which could be extrapolated into the future by a less certain curve. It is the sort of thing where various error bands can be generated.

The Personal Achievement Scheme now can be shown to have a beneficial usage, beyond clubs permitting unsupervised flying, and personal satisfaction. From my previous club it was only personal satisfaction that was its selling point for many (as we did not apply a "A" cert requirement). Now the first point is possibly of equal importance to many.

It does surprise me that some see that anything that is additional to buying a model and Radio Set, could put some of joining us. It is seen as negative to recognise this. I know that there is some benefit from some of the newer changes. Yet we need to recognise the changes to society and the negative impacts that can be identified. It should be part of the process of understanding of what we can do to minimize some aspects, that deter some from joining us to enjoy model making and or flying, legally, and therefore safely.

At the same time there are some who must keep their Political Masters, Legislator and the public happy. In doing this from time to time they may be minded to introduce requirements, that may not be necessary as many modelers see as unnecessary.

For some all of this is negative, I see it as part of attempting to influence factors that help shape the future of modeling.

Some things cannot be anticipated such as Covid, or blatant contravening existing legislation such as various aircraft and airport events. Although in industry, there is often an attempt to understand a worse case set of scenarios.

I have noticed a move from competitions over the years, when I was a BARCS comp organiser, I would get 80 or so competitors. Many years later my successor could not get even 6. Yet fly-ins get possibly +100 such as Greenacres. I get the impression that people want organising, regulation in their hobby ever less with time.

Edited By Erfolg on 29/01/2021 19:12:58