VOLANTEX asw 28

Andrea Gaiga

Hi there, I'm a bit stuck I mean I'm new about RC models and I bought this asw 28 from a friend who has never flew the same. I managed to put it together but when I connect the battery it doesn't respond to the controller.

Model is as above asw 28 volantex radio controller fly sky fs-i6.

The main problem is that engine respond only on channel 6 but it should be on channel 1 as the controller is a left hand throttle. All the controls are on the wrong channels throttle is on right hand.

I will attach some pictures as this could help to give a better idea.

Have i done something wrong? Wrong receiver? This is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Advert

I'm not familiar with that transmitter but is there a set up option for it which allows you to set up the receiver channels? For example, the usual Futaba channels are: 1= ailerons; 2=elevator; 3=throttle ; 4= rudder which you would set up as AETR.

Because my first 4 channel transmitter was a Futaba, I've used that sequence even on my non-Futaba transmitters.

It doen't really matter which receiver channel controls which function as long as the transmitter controls are correct. So which transmitter joy stick runs the motor/rudder/elevator etc?

Geoff

Andrea, do you have the manual for the i6a transmitter?

If not you can download a copy here ii6a manual

By default the channel order for both the transmitter and receiver is 1-aileron 2-elevator 3-throttle 4-rudder. This is irrespective of whether to throttle is on the left or right stick - you seem to have some confusion in this regard.

I suggest you search through your transmitter menus and try to find out which mode (1,2,3 or 4) the transmitter has been set to.

Check whether this particular model it is set to heli or acro (aeroplane) mode.

From your posts I think you want it to be mode 2, i.e. throttle on the left stick (up & down), rudder on the left stick (side to side), elevator on the right stick (up & down) and ailerons on the right stick (side to side). Is that correct?

If the throttle really is on channel 6 then some (possibly random) changes have been made in the set-up menus for this model, I would suggest that if you can answer the above questions the easiest way forward is to create a new model (there are 20 available) and start afresh - we can help you do this!

Cheers GDB

Warning - before you do anything, REMOVE THE PROPELLER FROM THE MODEL - it is not impossible while altering settings on the transmitter for the motor to spring into life - you do not want a propeller revolving at high speed any time you're not expecting it!!

It sounds as if it's simply a case of plugging the ESC and servos into the correct sockets on the receiver.

Is the throttle control on the left hand side of the transmitter? (i.e. the stick that is not sprung to the centre)

If so, then simply try plugging a servo into each socket in turn on the receiver until you find a socket that responds to the throttle stick. You can then plug your ESC into this socket.

Repeat for the other controls. (Take the prop off while you are doing all this!)

If you do not have the manual for the transmitter there is one here .

Hope this helps!

Edited By Colin Bernard on 01/07/2020 22:29:12

I own the Volantex ASW28. It's a great plane, but it does carry quite a bit of speed in flight and is not a beginner model in my opinion. I'm guessing you do not have any flying experience? I would strongly recommend you find somebody with some experience that can help you set up your transmitter, get all your control throws set up correctly and going the right way, get your cg correct, set the motor brake on your esc (its not set by default), and help you in your first few flights. Where are you located?

2017-07-30 12.11.15.jpg

PS, the model also benefits from a 4 flap wing setup, with full span ailerons (using flaps and ailerons at the same time) to achieve higher roll rates, differential aileron to help prevent adverse yaw, and it's also good to setup crow, camber and reflex to help during the different phases of flight (if you are planning on trying to thermal).

I think you have only got 6 channels, so you will not be able to achieve all that, but you could either use just one channel for flaps and 2 channels for the ailerons to enable you to program differential aileron (if you transmitter allows it), otherwise you can mechanically build in differential by offsetting your aileron servos to allow more movement up than down.

Also be aware that the model has a 'heavy' nose, so you will need to get your receiver and battery as far back as possible to achieve the correct CG.

If the above is just gobbledygook, then I really would recommend getting somebody to help! (or trying to get hold of a simple cheap trainer plane first).....

Edited By Jason-I on 02/07/2020 10:31:04

Posted by Caveman on 02/07/2020 10:06:34:

Dennis, I think you'll find MO1 refers to MOdel 1, not mode 1 - the picture clearly shows a mode 2 transmitter.

Probably best to wait until Andrea responds to earlier posts so we can see exactly what he's got!

GDB

Thanks for clearing that up GDB

Also, if you look at Andreas set up, he has nothing plugged into channel 1

So at least one other plug is is the wrong place

Hi all, thanks for the help. I will give it another go today to see if I can sort this out.

However I`m based in York so if someone is from the area it would be great to catch up and have a look in to it.

I will post more update this evening.

Thanks everyone and good luck to me!

Hi Andrea,

I presume you are powering the system from the LIPO battery ?

As suggested above - Unplug all the servos from the receiver. Now using just one servo plug it into each receiver socket in turn to determine which socket matches which transmitter stick. It really doesn't matter which socket is used for the throttle as long it corresponds to the stick you want.

Also, as mentioned above, remove the propeller while experimenting with the radio in case of accidentally starting the motor,

And, again as already mentioned, if this is your first model then unfortunately it is not a beginners model. Please put it to one side and start with some thing more appropriate for learning on. I would also suggest joining a club or getting someone with experience to teach you.

Edited By John Wagg on 02/07/2020 11:20:25

Edited By John Wagg on 02/07/2020 11:23:30

Posted by Jason-I on 02/07/2020 10:10:47:

I own the Volantex ASW28. It's a great plane, but it does carry quite a bit of speed in flight and is not a beginner model in my opinion. I'm guessing you do not have any flying experience? I would strongly recommend you find somebody with some experience that can help you set up your transmitter, get all your control throws set up correctly and going the right way, get your cg correct, set the motor brake on your esc (its not set by default), and help you in your first few flights. Where are you located?

2017-07-30 12.11.15.jpg

Andrea, please heed the guidance in the post above from Jason. I would personally go further and say this model is completely unsuitable for a beginner - it will be pretty fast and the long, slender wings (known as high aspect-ratio) mean that it is likely to have stall characteristics that need an experienced pilot to manage. If you try and fly it yourself without any instruction it is almost certain to go home in pieces.

In short get yourself to a club for a go on their trainer and/or find an experienced pilot who can maiden it, trim it out and give you some instruction.

Edited By MattyB on 02/07/2020 11:36:28

Posted by MattyB on 02/07/2020 11:24:13:

Andrea, please heed the guidance in the post above from Jason. I would personally go further and say this model is completely unsuitable for a beginner - it will be pretty fast and the long, slender wings (known as high aspect-ratio) mean that it is likely to have stall characteristics that need an experienced pilot to manage. As a result if you try and fly it yourself without any instruction it is almost certain to go home in pieces. In short get yourself to a club for a go on their trainer and/or find an experienced pilot who can maiden it, trim it out and give you some instruction.

I would agree with this, just didn't want to be to blunt! blush

Posted by Jason-I on 02/07/2020 11:34:26:

I would agree with this, just didn't want to be to blunt! blush

In my experience it is best to be blunt in this situation to avoid the model going home in a bin bag. Very few beginners will persist with the hobby after that kind of experience!

On a quick read thro this thread I couldn't see if anybody mentioned binding the Rx to Tx.

Andrea you need to advise us if you have carried out the Binding procedure shown on page 11 of the online manual Section 4.   You will see it also says if it doesnt work as expected then do it again.

Edited By kc on 02/07/2020 13:24:27

Posted by Steve J on 02/07/2020 12:43:38:
Posted by Andrea Gaiga on 02/07/2020 12:02:07:

What type of model would it best to practice for the asw 28?

The Multiplex EasyGlider is a good first glider.

There are clubs around York. I would suggest arranging to visit them and have a chat to their glider guiders.

The BMFA Club Finder should help you to find one nearby Andrea; if you are interested in slope soaring I suggest you contact the NYMRSC, who have the sole rights to flying at the Hole of Horcum.

I second Steve's recommendation of the Easyglider as a good starter option. Other cheaper alternatives if you are looking for a motorglider would be one of the Bixlers (there are several variants) or Phoenix 2000, both from Hobbyking.

Edited By MattyB on 02/07/2020 16:11:21