Long Wing Bands

I'm re-commisioning an old Lazy Bee I've had in the loft for donkey's years but I can't find any wing bands longer than 8" which are too short.

The entire path of the band would be around 22" so I reckon on needing something like a 10" band at the very least.

I've trawled this forum for any suppliers that might help but it seems no-one does anything bigger than 8".

Advert

Quick question, is there a rule of thumb for the size of band to use on a wing ?

If a wing has a chord of, say, 8" would you buy a 4" band, 5" band or 6" band ??

Edited By DaveyP on 14/07/2020 18:58:56

Edited By DaveyP on 14/07/2020 18:59:55

I've cut wing bands to make them thinner and they stretch further without being too fierce. Just to make sure I always use 6 bands. IIRC I found thinned down 8" bands were OK with my Lazy Bee (standard size) but it's not been flown for years.

Inner tubes are rare these days. We used to use radially cut ones to make bands to hold competition numbers on our trials motor cycles in the 1960s but they'd be much too short (4" ). You could perhaps use small wheel pedal cycle inner tubes cut circumferentially?

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 14/07/2020 20:01:01

Hi Chris

When you say 22" do you mean the total length around the band, or the length of the band laid flat?

If you mean the total length that would mean a chord around the 11" area.

Rubber bands are measured folded flat, and unstretched.. I have some bands I use on my Limbo Dancer. These are just over 7" unstretched, but will happily stretch to over 11" in use.

Other than that, Amazon do list some 200mm ( 8" ) here.

Personally, I think 8" would do you fine.

Jeff

Posted by Jeffrey Cottrell 2 on 14/07/2020 20:16:30:

Hi Chris

When you say 22" do you mean the total length around the band, or the length of the band laid flat?

If you mean the total length that would mean a chord around the 11" area.

Rubber bands are measured folded flat, and unstretched.. I have some bands I use on my Limbo Dancer. These are just over 7" unstretched, but will happily stretch to over 11" in use.

Other than that, Amazon do list some 200mm ( 8" ) here.

Personally, I think 8" would do you fine.

Jeff

The chord is about 15". The 22" inch I quoted was the length of the band layed flat. e.g. the length from each dowel diagonally across the wing

Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 14/07/2020 19:57:34:

For one of my models, I cut long enough strips from inner tubes - single strips not bands and used a hole punch at each end to fit over the dowels. Worked well for me and they lasted longer of I made the ends wider where the holes had to be punched.

Malcolm

Hmm, that gave me an idea. I took an old band and cut it so it was one run and punched a hole in both ends and its pretty strong. A 4" band nearly goes the distance I need.

That might work. It's just judging how strong the end with the hole is.

Posted by Geoff S on 14/07/2020 20:00:25:

I've cut wing bands to make them thinner and they stretch further without being too fierce. Just to make sure I always use 6 bands. IIRC I found thinned down 8" bands were OK with my Lazy Bee (standard size) but it's not been flown for years.

Inner tubes are rare these days. We used to use radially cut ones to make bands to hold competition numbers on our trials motor cycles in the 1960s but they'd be much too short (4" ). You could perhaps use small wheel pedal cycle inner tubes cut circumferentially?

Geoff

Did you chop them in half to get two bands from one?

Posted by Chris King 3 on 14/07/2020 20:44:54:
Posted by Geoff S on 14/07/2020 20:00:25:

Geoff

Did you chop them in half to get two bands from one?

Yes. I just cut round the circumference with a pair of scissors, making 2 thinner bands out of one wide one and the same size. Never had one fail except perishing like they all do but I just checked them before use.

Geoff

I have seen piano wire - S shaped - joining pairs of bands together to get the chord width.

no unsightly bump in the middle - it looks a more elegant " engineered" solution

john

Back in the day, we needed l-o-n-g rubber strips, literally hundreds, we used tractor back-tyre inner tubes. Lots of stretch in those and the rubber will knot satisfactorily - if cut transversely you can make huge rubber bands but I guess those might be too big unless you're talking about the Big Lazy Bee ( but mine sported twin plastic bolts on the trailing edge and twin 3/8" dowels in front).

I had the same problem with my Super Scorpion. From dowel to dowel stretched diagonally, I needed well over 21inches.joining two band together solved the problem with a large unsightly bulge at the join. Cured this by joining them together with the smallest nylon tie could find. Solved.