What has happened to i.c. engines?

I joined this forum 3 years ago after taking "early-retirement"...it didn't work-out...I had to "go-back" to work part-time! NOW , I am REALLY retired. What's happened to "glow"?...I have plans for an "Agwagon" and a "Tripacer"...I (even) have a couple of "BNIB" Super-Tiger "G 51 rings" and a "BNIB" Saito "FA-120S"...all ready to go,...building. The "shops" are all gone. Even the "web" returns very few "sources". I am "old-school"...I started back in the 70's. I REALLY don't want to go electric! Am I the ONLY one?... <grrh> (Silly-old-sod, reminiscing?)

Advert

There are still a lot of model shops round

SMC, Steve Webb. Pegasus Models to name but three.

Lookin the back of RCM&E.

Materials from SLEC,Balsa Cabin .

I used to be a dedicated i.c fan but now old age has set in and I find that I can fly my similar designs with electric without lugging all the gear.

What's happened is that IC flyers like you and I can get some real bargains on engines smiley And then we get even better bargains on used IC models as people turn to electric.

So best thing is to ignore the trends and enjoy the reduction in costs to fly

I/C engines certainly aren't unavailable, Westonuk do a range if 2 and 4 stroke glo engines and diesels too. I fly 4strokes nowadays , Saitos and Lasers. Lasers are sought after and the makers keep running out of stock, so it's best to keep an eye on their website. 

Edited By Solly on 07/08/2020 12:18:33

I share your pain as, no doubt, do others of a certain age and tradition!

The numbers of engine manufacturers have certainly dwindled as has the choice of sizes but O.S. engines are also still going and provide possibly the widest range, even new O.S. two-strokes can be found on the shelves albeit still at a traditional premium price!

My main concern was about future fuel availability and choice but even that doesn’t seem to be under any imminent threat with Model Technics and Optifuel seemingly leading the field and with each offering various mixes. The price will no doubt keep increasing, though, as a result of a gradually reducing market.

That said, there’s always the option of going petrol (ironically), as some have done, with a ready built or a spark conversion but it’s not an option that I have any personal experience with. Criticism however, seems to be centred around transportation and general handling issues regarding the petrol itself and certainly not it’s much lower cost!

And the IC versus Electric debate, in the RC world, encompasses many of the same issues regarding the latter’s use for powering public and private transport e.g. endurance, charging, up-front costs etc.!

😊

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 10/08/2020 11:42:33

One thing that has changed is the requirement to register with CAA , take a test and pay your 9 pounds before you fly an over 250gram model that is not control line. But it's dead simple and everyone has done it even the least computer literate member of my club ( with a little computer help from a friend) has passed the simple questionaire test. Just do it and put your reg letters on or inside hatch of your model.

Edited By kc on 10/08/2020 12:02:19

Posted by kc on 10/08/2020 12:01:01:
Just do it and put your reg letters on or inside hatch of your model.

Few, if any, IC models (the OP’s clear preference) have, or need, hatches that are “easily accessible without the use of tools”.

That was/is one of the gripes regarding registration lettering.

And why on the outside of the hatch?

Are you exclusively an electric flyer by any chance?

😊

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 10/08/2020 12:33:47

Yes, I am mostly electric these days - - but ic pilots could use the same hatch catches or magnets if they choose not to adulterate their model! I imagine that a scale fanatic would devise some scale panel or fitting that could be held on with magnets yet be removeable to reveal the reg letters to comply with the letter of this useless law.

However there are other places to discuss this stupid law if you want, but this thread is just to inform a returnee of the need to do it in case he was not aware.

Edited By kc on 10/08/2020 13:03:47

kc,

It was just a light hearted joke, hence the “smiley” icon.

And, no, I have no wish to debate a ridiculous piece of legislation which I fail to see having any merit in practice. That boat sailed a while ago.

Yes, the scale boys, in particular, irrespective of their skills, will be well chuffed!

And yes, you were quite right to point out this legal nonsense to a returnee as I did to another returnee in another thread!

On this issue, it would probably be safe to say that we are all on the same page!

(Posted by Nigel R on 10/08/2020 13:09:53:
Posted by kc on 10/08/2020 13:01:32:

ic pilots could use the same hatch catches or magnets if they choose not to adulterate their model!

Apologies for continuing the thread drift.

Nylon thumbscrews hold wings on and require no tools to operate.

Sold at modelfixings, of course

Edited By Nigel R on 10/08/2020 13:10:50

And my apologies for encouraging the drift but that might not be applicable to ALL models, or even desirable, hence the objections!

And, of course, putting an ID on the items that caused all this furore hardly matters in that case as they’re not exactly pretty to look at to begin with nor is visual charm likely to have been a reason for buying or assembling one!

And now I think about, the thread title might in fact suggest that further debate about the new regulations, the complaints that it has generated and the devices that brought it about would be entirely relevant to the question posed!

smiley

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 10/08/2020 14:04:16

Posted by Doc Marten on 10/08/2020 20:09:26:

.....or just use masking tape and write the ID by hand, idea

Thread drift ........Oh the irony!

Again, debatable.

I’m on the other side of the argument on this one as you noticed!

😊

And having read the requirements, masking tape might, indeed, comply as, whilst requiring that the ID be “secure” it is also recommended that it be removable should your ID change!

I do enjoy a laugh and look forward to seeing the various permutations and interpretations!

My advice to anybody returning to the hobby (I did a few years ago), is to go to Specsavers and have them check your rose tinted spectacle prescription.

Also, please be aware that this hobby will in future become more expensive (it is already starting), relatively speaking as our money starts to have less value and manufacturers costs (Worldwide) rise dramatically due to the massive effect of the current situation (which will take years to resolve).

I am not pessimistic about all this as I see that people like ourselves with constructive interests will more than cope and you never know, there may be an increase in people learning skills, rather than how to push buttons (or play with a ball).

kevinb Mini-rant over.