Return of the SMA

Doug Campbell

Advert

Posted by leccyflyer on 22/09/2020 22:01:50:

If past performance is anything to go by. as soon as anyone mentions either FMK, or 5- star, they usually pop up in double quick time.

Lol...Here already!, Well I am anyway, I think Will is as well he just doesn't say anything, I was sent a link!

Edited By Gervaise Vernon Retail manager StarLoc on 22/09/2020 22:56:52

Edited By Gervaise Vernon Retail manager StarLoc on 22/09/2020 23:01:21

Just to put the record straight..The Small Model Association was my creation in the Engine Bay in Model World.

Just built a slightly enlarged version of my PAW 80 powered American Dragon

And yes, I still like small models and have just designed a 45" span semi scale high wing light plane fo small electric but would suit an 049 (Got an OK Cub .049.)

I am getting my prints and a PDF done this very morning

Edited By Peter Miller on 23/09/2020 07:29:02

Posted by Peter Miller on 23/09/2020 07:27:06:

Just to put the record straight..The Small Model Association was my creation in the Engine Bay in Model World.

Just built a slightly enlarged version of my PAW 80 powered American Dragon

And yes, I still like small models and have just designed a 45" span semi scale high wing light plane fo small electric but would suit an 049 (Got an OK Cub .049.)

I am getting my prints and a PDF done this very morning

Edited By Peter Miller on 23/09/2020 07:29:02

We still have sheets of the stickers that Peter Kent used in the kits from when we took over `The Miniature Aircraft Factory` Peter Kent used to put them in the kits, the ones with a magnifying glass over a small I was told you created these in the first place?

Edited By Gervaise Vernon Retail manager StarLoc on 23/09/2020 07:43:19

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 22/09/2020 20:40:58:

Here's an April '91 Radio Modeller review by Dereck Woodward of the Mini Flying Machine, copied from FMK's Facebook page.

Link here: Mini Flying Machine - Kit Review

Mini Flying Machine - Kit review

I bought one of the original kits at the Nats swapmeet last year. reduced to £10, nobody wanted it. Will have to get it built.

Back to the meeting - It will probably be on a Friday, will look at a suitable date soon. Any suggestions welcome.

Doug

Still have the aerobic kits now, unlike most of the kits it has changed a bit in construction kind of a mark 2! ( not that the mark 1 wasn't fine the way it was! ) , its just the construction is a little different with the laser cutting as when we did that one years ago and Will could not copy plans to cad, so he just draw new one based on yours using drawing board to take coordinates , so he drew a new one the same shape but different construction , will says he will probably do the original one again as he has now got a massive scanner so can scan them in as he did for most of the others, he has made the original ones as well on an off ,just not laser cut.

Posted by kevin b on 23/09/2020 14:14:49:

How about adding SMA to the thread topics mods ?

Might make a nice place to discuss small models (aviation type !).

Great idea Kevin!

An SMA thread topic would then be a useful place for lists of suitable kits, plans, engines, wheels, tanks etc. without having to trawl through one long thread.

Robin

There is a lot of fun to be had from the small rc planes. When I lived in France I built a Bumblevee which has a V tail plane hence the "vee" in the name.

The plan is available of outerzone plans https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10613

Mine was fitted with a Cox Black Widow engine and was a great flyer. I am almost tempted to build another as I gave mine away when I left France. Great Fun/Price ratio.

That brings back memories Peter. Brilliant.

I very much aligned to small models back then, but that meant a 25-size ceiling to me. I still love the toddlers, but accept that my rusty thumbs and ageing reactions are not ideal partners...

However, my next planned project should fit the original remit; 36" DR-1. Sucker for punishment? Me?

Graham

I don't think that we need really limit the size too rigidly,It is more a state of mind.

I have got to say that because I am building a 45 " span model for very small electric motors or an .049 glow!!!

I just dug through my large collection of baseball caps and...Guess what!! I just found my old SMA baseball cap!!!

By the way the 45" span size allows "The Ohmen" to qualify!!laugh